Deals on draft day

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Does anybody think that there will be a flurry of deals on draft day this year?

I'm dreaming and I see NJ send a 3rd rounder this year (SJ) for Helm. They have lots of room on their cap and he would be a pretty good fit as they don't have a lot of depth on C (Josefson hasn't really worked out and the minors are meh).

I also see teams like the Canadiens trading for a top C, Dallas trading one of their G and more deals.

Or it might be the Armchair GM in me that wants to see a lot of deals, too.:laugh:

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
We'd have five third rounders if that happened...that would be insane. I am really excited to see who we pick, but I'm really hoping we can find a way to get another first without trading down. We have a fairly high second and 4 3rds; We could trade a roster player along with one or two of those picks to get another good selection. We'll have to wait and see. The lottery will help us know more.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

I'm dreaming and I see NJ send a 3rd rounder this year (SJ) for Helm. They have lots of room on their cap and he would be a pretty good fit as they don't have a lot of depth on C (Josefson hasn't really worked out and the minors are meh).

I also see teams like the Canadiens trading for a top C, Dallas trading one of their G and more deals.

Or it might be the Armchair GM in me that wants to see a lot of deals, too.:laugh:

Helm has a full NTC It wouldn't shock me if the Devils weren't on his accepted list as a place to be dealt why would he agree to go there.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Its a pipe dream Holland isn't going to trade a player he just signed to a franchise term. Especially not when he wants to go for it next season and he views Helm as integral to a Stanley cup run.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Its a pipe dream Holland isn't going to trade a player he just signed to a franchise term. Especially not when he wants to go for it next season and he views Helm as integral to a Stanley cup run.

This. People talk about moving Helm/Abdelkader or maybe losing one in the expansion draft but that presumes that Holland doesn't want those guys on the team. Holland loves these guys and they aren't going anywhere.

And to Holland's point, there is something to be said about the way these guys play the game. If Nyquist/Larkin/Mantha/Tatar played with the same hunger and intensity, the Wings would have had a better season.

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Deals

1) Send 2107 Tor 3rd + 2017 Fla. 6th + 2018 Mtl. 6th to Vegas for them to take Ericsson in the expansion draft. Minimal cost to free us of a injury prone asset with diminishing skills which frees up more than $4 million in cap space. Vegas uses the picks to help build the franchise.

2) Nyquist to Montreal for McCarron, Juulsen and 2017 2nd. Nyquist NTC kicks in on July 1., so if Holland is going to move him, it has to be by then. While Nyquist does not fill the Canadiens' need for a #1C, he is easily a top 6 winger and his presence could allow the Habs to move other forward assets to fill that need. Both Juulsen and McCarron would help with the Wings retool/rebuild/revamp/renewal or what ever the hell we are calling it. Not sure that it would necessarily work, but the idea of a line of 6'6" McCarron, 6'5" Mantha and 6'3" Sheahan is appealing to me. Could be a devastating line to play against.

3) Howard with 50%retained($2.65 mil) + Ouellet + Saarijarvi + 2107 Fla. 3rd to Calagry for T.J. Brodie. Why??? Flames goaltending is a big question mark. Both Elliott and Johnson are UFAs and their young prospect-Gillies- is not ready for a full time NHL load. If Gillies is their eventual go to guy, the Flames would not be too likely to sign long term deals with Bishop or Fleury. Howard, at a very decent price for a top 3 in both GA and SV% this year, would be a bridge deal while he mentors Gillies. Brodie is an immediate upgrade to our blueline.

As an added bonus, we would save about $7 million in cap space. Nyquist(4.75 mil) + Ericsson($4.25 mil) + half of Howards' hit($2.65 mil) is $11,650,000 of the books. Brodie's cap hit is $4,650, 000 for three more yrs.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
None of those trades are even close, especially the Calgary trade. That's laughably bad.

I'm entertained by the idea of any line centered by Sheahan being 'devastating', though.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

There was some speculation earlier this year that we would see a lot of trade activity before the expansion draft. I am sure some minor pieces will be moved but I don't think as many as was initially expected. It is hard enough to make a move in a hard-cap league without worrying about expansion protection.

The optimal time of year to make a trade is a moving target according to Kenny. At the trade deadline he will tell you the time to trade is around the draft. When draft day passes with no moves he tells you that the end of summer is the time to deal. Next he will tell you that there isn't much trade activity until after teams break camp. Once the season starts, he will tell you that there isn't much going on until the trade deadline. Rinse and repeat.

I don't expect Ken Holland to make moves until he makes moves.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
1) Send 2107 Tor 3rd + 2017 Fla. 6th + 2018 Mtl. 6th to Vegas for them to take Ericsson in the expansion draft. Minimal cost to free us of a injury prone asset with diminishing skills which frees up more than $4 million in cap space. Vegas uses the picks to help build the franchise.

2) Nyquist to Montreal for McCarron, Juulsen and 2017 2nd. Nyquist NTC kicks in on July 1., so if Holland is going to move him, it has to be by then. While Nyquist does not fill the Canadiens' need for a #1C, he is easily a top 6 winger and his presence could allow the Habs to move other forward assets to fill that need. Both Juulsen and McCarron would help with the Wings retool/rebuild/revamp/renewal or what ever the hell we are calling it. Not sure that it would necessarily work, but the idea of a line of 6'6" McCarron, 6'5" Mantha and 6'3" Sheahan is appealing to me. Could be a devastating line to play against.

3) Howard with 50%retained($2.65 mil) + Ouellet + Saarijarvi + 2107 Fla. 3rd to Calagry for T.J. Brodie. Why??? Flames goaltending is a big question mark. Both Elliott and Johnson are UFAs and their young prospect-Gillies- is not ready for a full time NHL load. If Gillies is their eventual go to guy, the Flames would not be too likely to sign long term deals with Bishop or Fleury. Howard, at a very decent price for a top 3 in both GA and SV% this year, would be a bridge deal while he mentors Gillies. Brodie is an immediate upgrade to our blueline.

As an added bonus, we would save about $7 million in cap space. Nyquist(4.75 mil) + Ericsson($4.25 mil) + half of Howards' hit($2.65 mil) is $11,650,000 of the books. Brodie's cap hit is $4,650, 000 for three more yrs.

lofreakingl, since lol wasn't long enough. In the words of the Pres, sad....

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
lofreakingl, since lol wasn't long enough. In the words of the Pres, sad....

I think you'll find the correct phraseology is "Sad!"

Anyways, Holland has hinted at deals made around players that teams are going to lose in the expansion draft for nothing. If only we weren't jammed up against the cap for the next 3 years by all Holland's bad deals...

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
St. Louis has 2 first round picks. Think maybe we could pick up their first 2 for our 1st?
Are the players around 7th that much better than 2 guys in the 20s?

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
St. Louis has 2 first round picks. Think maybe we could pick up their first 2 for our 1st?

Yes, yes they are. Around seventh, you can pick a player that can become a first liner if everything works out. In the 20s you generally pick guys who would become bottom-6 players most likely.

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

Yeah we really don't want that deal. 7OA is definitely worth more than 2×20OA.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
For what exactly? Just for the sake of moving him?

How about, for someone who competes all season. Instead of someone who realizes with 20 games to go and playoffs long gone, that oh crap, it is a contract year, better score 10 more goals.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
How about, for someone who competes all season. Instead of someone who realizes with 20 games to go and playoffs long gone, that oh crap, it is a contract year, better score 10 more goals.

You are aware he just had shoulder surgery right? If it comes down to him or Gus, Gus can let the door hit him on his way out.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Either Nyquist or Tatar are more replaceable than any halfway decent defenseman they could be traded for, but we've been hoping for that exchange for a few years now.

If I had to guess, I'd say Nyquist gets moved, since he has the NTC kicking in on July 1st, but we'll see.

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'd be happy to move either of Nyquist or Tatar. Both are good players but neither is a staple for our team. Furthermore they're RFA years are running out so they're getting more expensive and we have enough wingers. If we can get a first I'd happily take that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad