Deal or no deal? Your team is guaranteed 1 cup in next 5 years - but your most hated rival will win 5 in 10 years

Deal or No Deal - guarantee 1 cup in 5 years, but your most hated rivals gets 5 cups in 10 years

• Total voters

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
So it’s guaranteed a Canadian team win it 6 time out of 10

Good for me

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I've lived this as a Caps fan. Yes, I absolutely take the deal. 2018 made everything before it totally worth it.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Wouldn't want to give up the only thing Devil fans can hold over the Rangers.
Without making fun of them for 1 Cup in 80 years, we'd be completely lost

• Haha
Reactions: Stealth JD

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
A Cup wouldn't even be that great if I have to avoid Flame fans at social functions for the rest of my life. I'd rather just have "Oilers in 5" and we live in moderation.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Give me the Cup, I don't care about other teams.

Pretty much this and I don't hate other teams so this is easy.

To the 58 people voting no, as of this point, go seek professional help and find some inner peace....seriously.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Well if we won a cup that means we are likely constantly contending. In order for the Flames to win 5 cups, they would probably be smoking us every year. There was a massive swing of emotions between the two fanbases this year, don't think I'd want to be on the wrong end of that 5/6 times in the near future.

It seems like it would be stressful to win a cup, then not only have the Flames in 5 cups but also go through us what I assume is the majority of the time. If we won our cup and then regressed to being trash I'd probably just take the cup and not care, but if we stayed good and kept getting owned that would add some extra pain. Not sure how to vote TBH.
Pass, as a flames fan we lived through this in the 80's already. 1 cup for the flames vs 5 for Oilers is not worth it. If a guarantee that the Leafs would break the Chicago Cubs 108 yr record of futility was included I might get on board,:sarcasm::sarcasm:

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
I think this is easier put as:
Would you rather:
See your team win one cup while your rival wins 5?
Or see neither team win over the next 10 years?

While Colorado has a very substantial population of immigrants from other states, we're still stupidly far from our closest neighboring team. Who even is it.... Dallas? Our biggest rival is who.... The Blues now I guess? I get much more annoyed by the amount of away support in Denver during games against Eastern coference teams due to the number of transplants. Or maybe it's just that all the PensyWings/Bruins fans only have that one game to see their team, so they really show up. Whatever. Take the cup.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think this is easier put as:
Would you rather:
See your team win one cup while your rival wins 5?
Or see neither team win over the next 10 years?

While Colorado has a very substantial population of immigrants from other states, we're still stupidly far from our closest neighboring team. Who even is it.... Dallas? Our biggest rival is who.... The Blues now I guess? I get much more annoyed by the amount of away support in Denver during games against Eastern coference teams due to the number of transplants. Or maybe it's just that all the PensyWings/Bruins fans only have that one game to see their team, so they really show up. Whatever. Take the cup.

Well - to the bolded, I specifically say in OP this isn't the case. The only guarantees given are 1 cup to you and 5 to rival minimum, or option b no guarantees at all, whatever happens, happens. So - both teams can still win one or multiple cups with option B, there's just no guarantees given.

In fact - I'd say that as a Colorado fan - you should be one of the fans most likely to vote option 2. I guess if you have no direct rival you hate and that aspect doesn't bother you as much - maybe you don't vote for that. But the flipside is - I think Colorado is probably the most likely team in the league today to win 1 cup in the next 5 years, so good chance you win one regardless of guarantee, so the guarantee is probably less meaningful for you than to other fanbases

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Maybe I'm going against the spirit of these questions but the major part of winning cups is the anticipation. Guaranteeing a cup defeats the purpose of the cup. The only way this would work is if after making the choice I get amnesia or something.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Maybe I'm going against the spirit of these questions but the major part of winning cups is the anticipation. Guaranteeing a cup defeats the purpose of the cup. The only way this would work is if after making the choice I get amnesia or something.

If only I had thought of that in the OP.

Oh wait...

For the sake of maintaining the "surprise" factor that makes winning a cup fun, imagine that the deal also includes a clause that as soon as you make the deal, your memory will be wiped. So whenever your team wins the cup, it'll be a surprise, and it won't be expected, and so you'll be able to enjoy the experience fully.
:thumbu:

Reactions: tarheelhockey

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
Who wouldn’t say yes to this? If someone hates their rival more than they support their own team, I’d wager a guess they aren’t actually a great hockey fan.
I'm a massive fan and a cup would be awesome, but too see Boston or the leafs win 5 cups would absolutely suck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad