Deadline trades

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
For those who believe the Devils would/should trade their valuable assets that seemingly have no long-term future here, what would you prefer in return, highest possible picks or NHL-ready prospects?

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
not fussed either way. if I HAD to choose id prefer the NHL ready prospects. only problem is theres smaller boom factor but also the bust potential with picks

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I'd rather use picks. Picks take time to develop, hopefully time that will cause this coaching staff to be gone so the players don't get destroyed.

Plus, picks are much more liquid in that it would be easier to trade them for existing NHL talent than prospects. If we wanted to target E. Kane or Ladd, for example, Winnipeg would likely prefer picks.

The point is moot since we won't be selling and will likely trade a 6th round pick for Scott Gomez or some ****.

MountainGoat

NHL prospects but it doesn't matter because Lou wont sell

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
If it's a prospect with any kind of legitimate high level nhl celing, you're not getting him for Zidlicky or Jagr. Take the picks, we already have enough Josefsons and Loktionovs.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Yeah, I'd rather have as many 2015 picks as possible for the McDavid draft. This draft is lame.

Even if we don't get McDavid it's still a much better draft. Lou traded for a 1st in the Lindros draft, we ended up with 3rd overall and got Niedermayer instead. Still payed off.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
I don't trust this staff to do anything with draft picks, so I want actual players on the cusp of the NHL.

Chances are they will only pick defencemen with them because of their best person available strategy.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
id say nhl ready prospects but the devils dont have the assets to get any i dont think. but all in all if the devils can get outta the deadline with a first round pick this year id call it satisfying.

The Great Dame

Goose will be loose
Jan 3, 2008
NJ
IF and only IF we are truly out of the playoff picture:

I'm just spitballin here

Jagr to MTL for Sven Andrighetto + Michael Bournival
Jagr to LA for Tanner Pearson + Linden Vey
Jagr to PHI for Scott Laughton (not that we'd ever trade with Philly)

Zidlicky to COL for Michael Sgarbossa
Zidlicky + Josefson to TB for Brett Connolly

These probably all would never happen but I'm just speculating

fortheloveof666

Resident soothsayer
Feb 22, 2007
Dirty Jerz
I'd rather use picks. Picks take time to develop, hopefully time that will cause this coaching staff to be gone so the players don't get destroyed.

Plus, picks are much more liquid in that it would be easier to trade them for existing NHL talent than prospects. If we wanted to target E. Kane or Ladd, for example, Winnipeg would likely prefer picks.

The point is moot since we won't be selling and will likely trade a 6th round pick for Scott Gomez or some ****.

I heard his dad is going to be our next GM. :laugh:

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I rather have Connolly, for example, than a first in this upcoming draft.

I rather have a first in 2015 though.

I agree. I think if the Devils could use their assets to acquire young forwards, they'd in effect be "drafting" them and reap the benefits sooner.

For instance:

TBL is looking for a veteran offensive defenseman and has more forwards than they need. I'd target Connolly.

Both LA teams need a top 6 winger. I'd send them Jagr and try to pry one of their young forwards back (Tanner Pearson?).

The rumors are that Chicago is interested in Brodeur. We've discussed here that Brodeur's max value is a 2nd. It's also been put out there that Pirri will be traded and the trade board seems to think he's worth a 2nd and a 3rd. If Brodeur is worth a 2nd, Brodeur and a 3rd should be equal value for Pirri.

Toronto needs a reliable RHD and their fans have been asking for Fayne. With Holland potentially stuck as their 4th line center, I'd target him. I'd offer Fayne and a 2nd.

After the dust clears, the Devils would have Connolly, Pirri, young LA FWD, and Holland either to compete for top 9 spots or be trade bait. The players moved all likely won't be back next year, making the only real sacrifices the two draft picks. I'd gladly swap a 2nd and a 3rd for 4 NHL-ready forwards.

Sign Stastny
Sign Vrbata

LW1 - Stastny - Vrbata
Pearson?-Zajac-Holland
Elias-Henrique-Connolly

...just as an example. The team would be a lot younger and might struggle, but at least a foundation would be built.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

The reported asking price for Kane is top6 forwards, a prospect, and a pick. I don't think he'll be moved for a bunch of lottery tickets. He'll probably cost what Bobby Ryan did...2 young forwards and a #1.

NC107*

IF and only IF we are truly out of the playoff picture:

I'm just spitballin here

Jagr to MTL for Sven Andrighetto + Michael Bournival
Jagr to LA for Tanner Pearson + Linden Vey
Jagr to PHI for Scott Laughton (not that we'd ever trade with Philly)

Zidlicky to COL for Michael Sgarbossa
Zidlicky + Josefson to TB for Brett Connolly

These probably all would never happen but I'm just speculating

Will not honestly happen now or ever.

The Great Dame

Goose will be loose
Jan 3, 2008
NJ
Will not honestly happen now or ever.

Care to elaborate? You come in here speaking as if what you say is fact, yet I don't see you putting out any information or providing anything of value.

Consider what Jagr got last year, a conditional first and two players. Jagr's stock has shot up this year as opposed to last. If you compare the market for rental players and Jagr's performance this year vs last, it is evident that Jagr's trade value has risen.

Now if you mean it won't happen not because of value but just because of sheer likelihood then I could agree with you, but that seems like a moot point.

Last edited:

NC107*

I agree. I think if the Devils could use their assets to acquire young forwards, they'd in effect be "drafting" them and reap the benefits sooner.

For instance:

TBL is looking for a veteran offensive defenseman and has more forwards than they need. I'd target Connolly.

Both LA teams need a top 6 winger. I'd send them Jagr and try to pry one of their young forwards back (Tanner Pearson?).

The rumors are that Chicago is interested in Brodeur. We've discussed here that Brodeur's max value is a 2nd. It's also been put out there that Pirri will be traded and the trade board seems to think he's worth a 2nd and a 3rd. If Brodeur is worth a 2nd, Brodeur and a 3rd should be equal value for Pirri.

Toronto needs a reliable RHD and their fans have been asking for Fayne. With Holland potentially stuck as their 4th line center, I'd target him. I'd offer Fayne and a 2nd.

After the dust clears, the Devils would have Connolly, Pirri, young LA FWD, and Holland either to compete for top 9 spots or be trade bait. The players moved all likely won't be back next year, making the only real sacrifices the two draft picks. I'd gladly swap a 2nd and a 3rd for 4 NHL-ready forwards.

Sign Stastny
Sign Vrbata

LW1 - Stastny - Vrbata
Pearson?-Zajac-Holland
Elias-Henrique-Connolly

...just as an example. The team would be a lot younger and might struggle, but at least a foundation would be built.

Who's doing all this not our GM Lou Lams?

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Who's doing all this not our GM Lou Lams?

Well, we've never really see Lou sell off but we've never seen him in a position like this. It's seems to be a foregone conclusion that Brodeur wants out and will be dealt. If Chicago is interested, might as well go for Pirri. Rumors also have Lou being willing to trade Jagr. Trading Zidlicky makes a lot of sense given his (non)future with the team and relative trade value. The only one I see as a stretch is Fayne.

3 outta 4 ain't bad.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Care to elaborate? You come in here speaking as if what you say is fact, yet I don't see you putting out any information or providing anything of value.

Consider what Jagr got last year, a conditional first and two players. Jagr's stock has shot up this year as opposed to last. If you compare the market for rental players and Jagr's performance this year vs last, it is evident that Jagr's trade value has risen.

Now if you mean it won't happen not because of value but just because of sheer likelihood then I could agree with you, but that seems like a moot point.

Given what Jagr has done this year, the relative few sellers on the market, and the demand for scoring forwards amongst playoff teams his value will be high, even as a 41 year old rental.

NC107*

Comnsider what Jagr did for Boston after the trade? Nothing. Now consider he has played too many minutes during this regular season and he has played in the Olympics what do you think he is worth for a rental player? IMO not what you suggested. His value IMO hasn't gone up. Last year he played 48 games in the NHL plus his time with the Czech team during the lockout about 80 games he will play more this season so he will be burnt out and his value as a rental player won't go up as you suggested IMO. Just saying

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad