OT: Davis Cup: Vancouver

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Surprising to see so many non-tennis fans. It's a great game to watch. Shear athleticism being displayed by 2/4 people.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
We're going to get crushed by Serbia, but the fact that we're even in the semis is remarkable.

it's davis cup, anything could potentially happen

i understand that players want to focus on the majors and atp events from this point forward, but how are the semis not until after the us open in mid-september? that's a major reason why canadians never cared about this tournament until this year...

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
The stars aligned for Canada this year. Started with drawing South Africa in September who was squabbling with their top player and couldn't afford to host....then the mass withdrawal of 2 allstar teams worth of players from spain and nothing but home matches and avoiding the european clay courts.

I suspect barring the emergence of another top 20 canadian player, we won't be anywhere near the davis cup semis again. Congrats on taking care of business with the favourable breaks. Enjoy tennis and non-tennis fans alike!

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Tennis is awesome. One of my favourite events each year is the Australian Open. Staying up to watch the matches. Look forward to it every year.

Raonic has the potential to be great. Like win grand slam titles great. He needs to work on his return game, and on unforced errors, but he has a MASSIVE serve (maybe the biggest on tour) and a huge reach.

I prefer the Wimbledon and the U.S. Open...
Because most players are at the top of their game by that time...

I agree with your assessment of Raonic.
Still...
He is not quite ready yet...
But I can see him crack the top 10 this year.

It is a great time to watch tennis though...
There are so many great players...
And there are 4 guys at the top are probably some of the best all time.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Good for Canada. Not a tennis fan, but it's nice to see some success coming out of the sport by Canadians.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Memorable moment for Canadian tennis and Canadian sports in general. I think they'll hit a brick wall against Serbia but ya never know.

They were very fortunate to face a severely under-manned Spanish team but that's the only break that got. Even if Kevin Anderson played for South Africa, I have to believe Canada would have won that tie anyway and this quarterfinal win against Italy was 100% fair and square. That was Italy's A team they beat.

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
milosraonic_2814-430x298.jpg

Picture says it all, courtesy TSN.

Garth Butcher

Feb 27, 2013
Saskatchewan
looks more like my son when I say no to him in the middle of the shopping mall, then a guy that finished off Italy to advance Canada to the semi finals. wtg team!

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Any chance Djokovic will be playing for Serbia? If so, I'm definitely getting tickets.

Doctors are telling him he suffered a pretty serious ankle injury playing today. Personally, you never wish an injury on someone, but I'm hoping he can't play against Canada.

About time we get some lucky breaks in international sporting events.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
Doctors are telling him he suffered a pretty serious ankle injury playing today. Personally, you never wish an injury on someone, but I'm hoping he can't play against Canada.

Meh, I'm not too nationalistic about Canada in tennis; I'm more of a player's fan. Would love for the chance to see Djokovic live once in my life!

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010

With the semis in September, I imagine he'll be there. Would have to be a helluva tear to keep him out until then.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
With the semis in September, I imagine he'll be there. Would have to be a helluva tear to keep him out until then.

You're probably right, but this tweet from Craig Gabriel (apparently he's a tennis broadcaster) makes it look pretty serious.

"JUST IN. Novak Djokovic has lost it in tears in middle of Serbian tv interview. Doctor has told him ankle injury serious."

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
Nevermind. Looks like the U.S. Open will end Sept. 9th, and the Davis Cup starts on Sept. 13rd. Doesn't seem like Djokovic will play.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Nevermind. Looks like the U.S. Open will end Sept. 9th, and the Davis Cup starts on Sept. 13rd. Doesn't seem like Djokovic will play.

Why wouldn't he? If he's already helped the country get this far, I don't see why he wouldn't continue to do it. It also seems like to me that this event is of pretty high priority for him, so I doubt he misses it if he can help it.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Why wouldn't he? If he's already helped the country get this far, I don't see why he wouldn't continue to do it. It also seems like to me that this event is of pretty high priority for him, so I doubt he misses it if he can help it.

Djokovic went at the same time in 2011 after winning the US open and playing in the finals of basically every tournament. His shoulder was bothering but he still went over to Belgrade (where he even lost and aggravated his injury). Novak is VERY dedicated to playing for his country and this injury would have to be very serious to keep him out. He wouldn't opt out just to rest like a lot of players out there.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver

Djokovic went at the same time in 2011 after winning the US open and playing in the finals of basically every tournament. His shoulder was bothering but he still went over to Belgrade (where he even lost and aggravated his injury). Novak is VERY dedicated to playing for his country and this injury would have to be very serious to keep him out. He wouldn't opt out just to rest like a lot of players out there.

Sweet! Sounds like I should get tickets then.

Djoko here I come!

CSC5

Mar 13, 2011
It should be pointed out that the matches will be played in Serbia, not Vancouver.

I'll still be going! Will be in the middle of backpacking Europe at that time and am very seriously considering swinging over to Belgrade for that weekend. :nod: I went to the tie against Spain and Italy.. might as well keep it going.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Another interesting wrinkle is that Milos and Nestor were born in Serbia before moving to the Toronto area at young ages, while Dancevic is also of Serbian heritage.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
We're going to get crushed by Serbia, but the fact that we're even in the semis is remarkable.
It's later in the year. If Pospisil can continue his improvements and Raonic continues playing like a top-5, I have to agree with the guy above that anything can happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad