News Article: Davidson's early report card could be better

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

I agree with the writer about not getting enough for the Cat. I think he will regret that trade. Giving away Kubalik for no return was also perplexing for me, Strome, perhaps he wasn't going to fetch anything anyway and letting Lankinen get away is not a big deal at this stage of the rebuild.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Disagree with this. I'm all for King Wizard Lizard Kyle Davidson until he majorly stumbles.

The Cat trade is what it is and we don't know all the details surrounding it (extension negotiations, long-term desires, etc.). As for the rest, there was no value in those players or they would have gone last trade deadline.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Disagree with this. I'm all for King Wizard Lizard Kyle Davidson until he majorly stumbles.

The Cat trade is what it is and we don't know all the details surrounding it (extension negotiations, long-term desires, etc.). As for the rest, there was no value in those players or they would have gone last trade deadline.
Teams salivate over 40 goal scorers who haven't reached their prime yet and who can play decently without the puck.... jus sayin'

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
the reason he did not get much for CAT is he is a 5-7 wing that you had to give 8 X $9mil to on a long term deal. that contract that bowman gave him ruined his trade value. if the Q offer was $7 mil for next year we get a way bigger return. the fact the Kub signed for way less then his Q offer means he had no value. Strome signed for his Q offer. maybe we could have gotten something 4-7 round pick at last year TDL and he did not do it but in the off season it was pretty clear nobody wanted to ARB those guys so who was going to trade for him. if you look at wings making $9 mil or more the only guy that cat is clearly better then is Skinner. of the guys 28 and younger. you have marner, kucherov, rantaneen, guadareu, tackcuk kasporiv. would you rather have CAT then those guys at $9-$10 PY

Reactions: LordKOTL

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
I believe Davidson has been behind past non qualifying RFAs as it has become common every summer now...
Duclair
Kampf(twice)
Koekkoek
Caggiula
Suter
Strome
Kubalik
It’s his belief in not overpaying I guess...but man not to even get a 7th rounder for any of them, that’s hard to take, but if he actually traded them for a 7th people would be like ‘terrible trade’...we have to remember that when and if it ever happens in the future, a 7th or nada?

But as far as how Davidson has done?

Nylander turned into Lafferty!

Hagel and later picks was traded when he was at his highest for Raddysh, Katchouk AND 2 1st rounders!

He cut loose Gaudette and Borgstrom!

Went from having no 1st rounder this summer to THREE, yes at the cost of DeBrincat(this teams version of Tony Amonte) and Dach but has greatly improved the teams prospect pool very quickly

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Teams salivate over 40 goal scorers who haven't reached their prime yet and who can play decently without the puck.... jus sayin'
Are you implying Davidson intentionally left a better offer on the table and chose the Sens offer? If teams were actually salivating over taking a year of DeBrincat, you would have to assume there was a better offer on the table.

Reactions: Giovi

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Are you implying Davidson intentionally left a better offer on the table and chose the Sens offer? If teams were actually salivating over taking a year of DeBrincat, you would have to assume there was a better offer on the table.
Who knows for certain what went on behind the scenes but it seems to me that Davidson jumped the gun by trading Cat so soon after the season had ended.... and though he had a tough time last season on a brutal team surely the GM could have got something for Kubalik, a former 30-goal scorer (in 68 games).

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Who knows for certain what went on behind the scenes but it seems to me that Davidson jumped the gun by trading Cat so soon after the season had ended.... and though he had a tough time last season on a brutal team surely the GM could have got something for Kubalik, a former 30-goal scorer (in 68 games).
I think the timing of the trade was strictly due to the draft. In order to make an impact and get things going, he needed high-end picks in this draft and "needed" to ensure a low finish this year. Also, he would have known full well that Toews and Kane can only really be moved in their final year. I get why he did it when he did it.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Of course, most of it is conjecture until it plays out and one could argue we could've gotten more for Cat, but I think Cat is a small, 1 trick pony and that trick was greatly enhanced by an elite set up man. With Dach, you're just basically betting that his con's were not going to get fixed.....no shot, no faceoff, not physical, not a forechecker......cut your losses early.....take balls to make these trades and I give Davidson credit......more to come.

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
I'm not sure how anyone can label Cat as a one trick pony. The Cat I see has worked hard to improve his overall game. His small stature is obviously a detriment but he plays bigger than many players who are quite a bit larger.
I would agree with you. He has increasingly played with an edge and is aggressive on the puck. Really rooting for him and Ottawa overall this season. They have an exciting team that can hopefully steal some wins from Tampa.

Reactions: Muffinalt

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
He sure likes his draft picks. Problem is, when you go all on the board like that you need some luck, some cunning, a great organization & development, etc. Just getting draft happy can turn into a suckfest if the rest of things don't go well.

Pessimistic take...the people behind the scenes have been reactionary for some time thus many big short sighted moves were made overnight for the sake of making moves. Davidson wiped the plate clean so he better be able to cook.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
I'm not sure how anyone can label Cat as a one trick pony. The Cat I see has worked hard to improve his overall game. His small stature is obviously a detriment but he plays bigger than many players who are quite a bit larger.
DeBrincat is awesome, definitely not a one trip pony, but that said he was destined to be what Tony Amonte was to his teams...a really good player on a really bad team...at least they got something for The Cat

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
Of course, most of it is conjecture until it plays out and one could argue we could've gotten more for Cat, but I think Cat is a small, 1 trick pony and that trick was greatly enhanced by an elite set up man. With Dach, you're just basically betting that his con's were not going to get fixed.....no shot, no faceoff, not physical, not a forechecker......cut your losses early.....take balls to make these trades and I give Davidson credit......more to come.

A one-trick pony who also PK?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Cat could shoot, make plays, PK, and was fantastic in transition. Gonna miss him a ton.

Don't think the return was enough, said as much at the time. Don't know why Davidson is getting knocked for not re-signing Lankinen, who struggled huge last season, and for not finding takers for Kubalik and Strome (both who generated little attention at the deadline).

All in all, don't mind Davidson's performance so far outside of the Cat trade. Questioned the Nylander trade, but I was holding onto a sliver of hope that he'd be at least a 3rd liner and going off of Pens fans opinion of Lafferty; that move did end up working out pretty well in very quick timing.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Crying about the Debrincat return won't be warranted until the draft lottery, IMO. We were trying to get into the first round AND be bad enough to improve our chances of a lotto pick next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad