Waived: Davidson/Garrison

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Unless somethings changed that’s not true.

When has a player been put on waivers, and clears, only to be kept with the team for an extended period? It's rare. He wasn't put on waivers just to be put on waivers.

Garrison was placed on waivers with the intention of assigning him to Rockford, at which point he didn't report, at which point he went on unconditional waivers, with the idea of a mutual contract termination.

Davidson was likely sent to waivers to be assigned to Rockford, to make room for Joker when he comes back in a couple days.

They don't have to immediately reassign him to Rockford, but odds are that he'll be assigned there, it just hasn't been announced yet. Expect that announcement to be made shortly before Joker returns. They likely haven't, simply because Joker isn't here yet, and they only have 6 D on the roster. This helps in case of injury between now and when Joker returns. It's also possible that he hasn't been 100% cleared to play yet, at which point he can't actually be assigned yet, I believe.

My point was that it's pretty much a guarantee that they're assigned to the AHL affiliate. I might have misread something about it being automatic, so it was probably a mistake to use that term. I was wrong.

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
There are no reports of Davidson being assigned to Rockford.

As for an example. Zach Smith was put on waivers at the beginning of the year, didn't get claimed nor sent to the AHL.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
That makes sense.

I would not be shocked if there was a trade or two in the coming week for the Hawks.

A TD-type deal. Not sure who but Hayden (don't want to trade him) or Kruger could happen (with cash retained).
Again I’m not for sure but just thinking it through as an arm chair gm.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
When has a player been put on waivers, and clears, only to be kept with the team for an extended period? It's rare. He wasn't put on waivers just to be put on waivers.

Garrison was placed on waivers with the intention of assigning him to Rockford, at which point he didn't report, at which point he went on unconditional waivers, with the idea of a mutual contract termination.

Davidson was likely sent to waivers to be assigned to Rockford, to make room for Joker when he comes back in a couple days.

They don't have to immediately reassign him to Rockford, but odds are that he'll be assigned there, it just hasn't been announced yet. Expect that announcement to be made shortly before Joker returns. They likely haven't simply because Joker isn't here yet, and they have 6 D on the roster. This helps in case of injury between now and when Joker returns. It's also possible that he hasn't been 100% cleared to play yet, at which point he can't actually be assigned yet.
You don’t usually waive players in your long term plan, but it happens and you’ve changed your argument.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
There are no reports of Davidson being assigned to Rockford.

As for an example. Zach Smith was put on waivers at the beginning of the year, didn't get claimed nor sent to the AHL.

Could be for numerous reasons.

A. If he isn't medically cleared from IR yet, I don't believe he can be assigned to them.
B. They're just hanging onto him as a 7th for the next game or two, until Joker returns in a couple days. Then he'll be assigned.

Either way, I think their point of putting him on waivers was to assign him to Rockford, eventually.

And yes, I was wrong about it being automatic.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Could be for numerous reasons.

A. If he isn't medically cleared from IR yet, I don't believe he can be assigned to them.
B. They're just hanging onto him as a 7th for the next game or two, until Joker returns in a couple days. Then he'll be assigned.

Either way, I think their point of putting him on waivers was to assign him to Rockford, eventually.

And yes, I was wrong about it being automatic.
Yeah, that's why I said "for now"

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
It also bumps up Davidson’s trade value for a bit as a contender can trade for him and have him stashed on their AHL team without going through waivers for the next little while.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad