Recalled/Assigned: David Van der Gulik Recalled from Lake Erie

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Only an Avs player will get hurt celebrating a goal. This team is really full of bad luck

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Is he even on an NHL roster.

Yes. Was just called up.

I may be wrong but doesn't DVG just take wilsons spot in the line-up after being sent to Lake erie (unless he wasnt sent through waivers)

He doesn't take Wilson's spot. He is there to provide back-up in case that ROR or Mac can't play.
If neither can play we are ****ed, cause then Holden needs to play forward again.

Wilson was just sent to Lake Erie for conditioning. Roy didn't feel it was necessary to call someone up for that.
Also Lake Erie is decimated with injuries (like 7 or so), so as many warm bodies should remain down there if possible.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's ok. Day to day is ok. Listen to Roy talk, it will make you feel better. O'Reilly might even play tomorrow. If they hold him out to be cautious it's ok. He'll be back soon. I'm not too worried. We are doing ok with injuries. Sucks right now but most things have been minor. Fingers crossed for Tangs. They'll take it slow but he's ok so far.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Dvdg looked good, hopefully he plays when ROR comes back.

He did look good. I believe he's always provided some jump and good play when he gets called up but hasn't been able to sustain that level of play over time to nail down a spot. Darth Mauldin was kinda similar...I've seen that with quite a few of the AHL callups over the years but it is really nice to see them play well when given a chance.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't mind keeping him until he levels off as he usually does.

I know it's one game, but after watching him play last night, he was definitely much more notable in that game than Cliche or Malone have been in the entire season. You could also probably put McLeod within that silent group as well. Problem is I don't think van der Gulik kills penalties as good as Cliche does.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
He did look good. I believe he's always provided some jump and good play when he gets called up but hasn't been able to sustain that level of play over time to nail down a spot. Darth Mauldin was kinda similar...I've seen that with quite a few of the AHL callups over the years but it is really nice to see them play well when given a chance.

I don't consider anything we've seen from our guys playing on a Sacco coached team to be relevant information about their hockey ability. See: Johnson, Erik.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
There's only so much Roy can do with a player though. See: Holden, Nick. Geunin, Nate.

My point was about assessing what guys did while playing for Sacco, and Johnson is the best example of a player thriving with better coaching (and a stick tap to Coach Foote too).

Guenin and Holden are two career AHL players that have worked moderately well in limited roles on defense, but their situation is different than VDG who we've only seen playing for Sacco in the past.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I know it's one game, but after watching him play last night, he was definitely much more notable in that game than Cliche or Malone have been in the entire season. You could also probably put McLeod within that silent group as well. Problem is I don't think van der Gulik kills penalties as good as Cliche does.

I dunno...he's 30 years old. He definitely came to play but if he played like that every game in the NHL, he wouldn't be a career AHLer.

My only beef with Cliche is that he gets pushed around too easily. He's an excellent defensive forward otherwise. Van der Gulik might be a lot scrappier but he's smaller. He does have a little more nose for the net though.

Malone looks like McLeod 2.0 to me. A guy who throws his body around and does little else. That's a good player to have in a limited role but he takes it a bit too far. I remember in one recent game, he was so busy trying to hit everything in sight he failed to clear a loose puck sitting right there in front of him...soon after it was in the net.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I dunno...he's 30 years old. He definitely came to play but if he played like that every game in the NHL, he wouldn't be a career AHLer.

My only beef with Cliche is that he gets pushed around too easily. He's an excellent defensive forward otherwise. Van der Gulik might be a lot scrappier but he's smaller. He does have a little more nose for the net though.

Malone looks like McLeod 2.0 to me. A guy who throws his body around and does little else. That's a good player to have in a limited role but he takes it a bit too far. I remember in one recent game, he was so busy trying to hit everything in sight he failed to clear a loose puck sitting right there in front of him...soon after it was in the net.

I think it was against Columbus. He made 3 hits one shift and they scored. I agree that he really doesn't bring much else to the table at the NHL level though.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I'd keep him around and play him instead of Bordeleau from time to time. Unless we can find (which we should) someone more effective for the 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad