Prospect Info: David Spacek RD, 153rd overall, 2022 NHL Draft

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Whoa, two defensemen, maybe we should pump the brakes

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Near PPG D, who barely played at all Covid year.

Probably see more over-agers this year due to lack of covid scouting the year before.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Son of a legit top 4 defender, alleged to play very similarly. Haven’t watched him but sounds like a worthy guy to use a pick on.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
vg first game against Canada at the WJC's. One goal, one assist, played a lot of minutes. Had one bad giveaway, but otherwise looked pretty good. Good with the puck, decent defensively, scored on a nice shot(screened) from the point. Seems to be a good skater.

Can never have too many good RHD prospects.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Another Goal and Assist against Austria, the goal was an absolute rocket from the Ovechkin spot. He moves the puck very quickly and reads the ice extremely well.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
For those who have seen him play, what’s his nhl upside?

Two-way D right? Maybe 30-40 points? Or not quite that much ?
Too soon to say. Nothing sticks out to me at his present level, even though he is having a nice tournament. Just a good all round Dman. Willing shooter, for sure.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
For those who have seen him play, what’s his nhl upside?

Two-way D right? Maybe 30-40 points? Or not quite that much ?
I’d be more than satisfied by that. I’m not sure he has any offensive qualities that lend to him being that type of player, though. Looks like a 3rd pair, all around guy to me

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I’d be more than satisfied by that. I’m not sure he has any offensive qualities that lend to him being that type of player, though. Looks like a 3rd pair, all around guy to me
His shot is really good, and he moves the puck really well, the obvious comp is a modern version of his father, I think his offensive skills are definite strengths in his game, physicality is really his main drawback, but his defensive game is otherwise quite sound at this level. He is quite obviously well coached, and already executes his passes at an NHL level IMO.

Would make for a pretty good Spurgeon replacement eventually if he continues to progress.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
A 30-40 pt defenseman is top 50 in scoring, every year. That's pretty a pretty high expectation for any drafted defenseman, little less a 5th rounder.

Reactions: 57special

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Perhaps an underdog to replace Dumba?
Potentially. Faber, Spacek and I assume Masters will all turn pro. They are RH d men that offer different things. I would think Faber has the most mature game. If they don't care about RH, then my guess is Hunt will get first shot from the guys down in Iowa.

Reactions: Minnesota

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

10. David Spacek, RHD, 19 (Sherbrooke Phoenix)

Drafted as an overager after emerging as one of the top defensemen in the QMJHL as a rookie last year following a move to North America from Czechia (where he was never in real consideration to be picked), Spacek looks like a really sleuth pick just seven months out from his fifth-round selection in Montreal now. He is a borderline dominant two-way defenseman on one of the best teams in junior hockey, playing big minutes and driving results when he’s on the ice for the Phoenix. He was an absolute rock for the silver-medal-winning Czechs at the world juniors, too, looking every bit the prospect that a bigger name like captain Stanislav Svozil was there. You can count on him. He’s a steadying presence defensively on the blue line. He’s physical and stout defensively. Though his game offensively isn’t dynamic, he engages in the offense and possesses a hard, NHL shot. I’ve been more impressed by him in his last two seasons in junior than I was by fellow Wild prospects Ryan O’Rourke and Daemon Hunt at the same ages in junior, and they were really solid two-way players at that level as well. He’s also a righty, while they’re lefties, which doesn’t hurt.
Pretty high praise for an overager 5th round pick.

Reactions: Voodoozz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad