Player Discussion David Savard

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He is also an UFA after next season and should be expected to decline over the summer due to his age. His peak value as an asset will be this deadline. Is his influence worth dropping from say a first round pick or decent prospect to a sixth rounder assuming he falls off like say what happened with Chiarot vs Edmondson. Holding assets can really bite you in the ass sometimes.
That’s a good point but who do we have on the right side to take those minutes?

Next year he should be traded. And maybe he brings less value but not necessarily.

But these are the two things we have to weigh against each other. I’m coming around to your argument though.

Is it worth a late 1st rounder to throw Barron to the dogs and have him be our top pairing RD? Or maybe you just do a revolving door of him and Harris and who else.

As long as you’re confident that this huge whole in our top pairing doesn’t jeopardize the development of our younger D because they have to start playing minutes they’re not ready for.

No easy answer from me but you definitely have a good point

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He sucks, honestly if his last name wasn't french he would have been sent packing a long time ago. Dude is awful , slow and I love it when he plays the tough guy routine, only to backdown with an angry look.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Savard's 23 points is his best season as a HAB. Hard to believe he put up 36 points in 2014-15 with the Blue Jackets.

One contract year left at 3.5M. Guessing we won't see a full season from him next year as he'll have great value at the TDL

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Love me some big play Dave

Hes a perfect veteran.

He's a right hand shot on a team with a lot of LHD prospects.

He's mostly a defensive D, but he used to be very good offensively, especially before the NHL. He actually has puck skills, so he knows that part of the game.

Hes a local guy who clearly wants to stay post-retirement. I wouldnt be surprised if he got a job with the team eventually.

He's cheap.

And he already has his cup.

As long as he doesn't hamper the development of the future core, I would keep him.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
I wonder what his contract ask will be? He turns 34 in October. Would you extend him if he asks for 3.5x2 and figure out what to do with all the young guys later?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad