Player Discussion David Savard

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Non- physical version of Douglas Murray .

He has very little in common with Murray.

Savard has very good hands and a high IQ, he was a stud in junior and even won CHL Dman of the year. There was a lot of hype surrounding him when he came to Colombus but his lack of foot speed proved to be the bottleneck that hampered his offensive production. He was very physical earlier in his career but injuries have forced him to pick his spots much more carefully.

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
He has very little in common with Murray.

Savard has very good hands and a high IQ, he was a stud in junior and even won CHL Dman of the year. There was a lot of hype surrounding him when he came to Colombus but his lack of foot speed proved to be the bottleneck that hampered his offensive production. He was very physical earlier in his career but injuries have forced him to pick his spots much more carefully.
They skate at the same speed.

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
savard is a fire hydrant. Blocks a ton of shots but not much more.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Beregevin did pretty well in building that Dcore:

Chiarot Weber
Edmundson Petry
Kulak Savard

Hughes has done well in dismantling it for a rebuild. I was hoping to get a 1st for each of Savard, Chiarot, Eddie, and Petry. So far, Matheson is better than a 1st, because he himself could now fetch a 1st. Chiarot got a 1st. I would move Savard for a 1st, but HuGo seem to want to keep him as a mentor. We'll see what becomes of Eddie, given his injuries.

Then Kulak for a 2nd and 7th was great. As was Weber's LTIR contract for the potential of Gurianov.
Bergevin got us to Finals without going through this god awful rebuild. Its hard to do. He is a smart GM. Losing Weber/Price to career injuries, along with effectively Gallagher also killed team. Danault jumped ship he knew we were headed for rebuild. Bergs is vastly underrated.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Bergevin got us to Finals without going through this god awful rebuild. Its hard to do. He is a smart GM. Losing Weber/Price to career injuries, along with effectively Gallagher also killed team. Danault jumped ship he knew we were headed for rebuild. Bergs is vastly underrated.

Without covid and then the cap not going up as expected when we had all that unused cap space, we don't go to the finals. Was one lucky year. Then back to normal

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Yeah there's no real comparison between Savard and Murray. The fact people are even making that comparison is a testament to how much the game has changed even in the past 10 years. Savard is miles more agile and skilled than a typical 3rd pair stay-at-home D from 10 years ago, and was a vastly superior player in his prime.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
If this isn’t sarcasm I feel sorry for you as I’m pretty sure you just revisionist historied your way too an arrow on an Apple. we technically wouldn’t have made the playoffs that year if not for the Canadian division. Danault didn’t see the writing on the wall, danault wanted away from berg and they didn’t negotiate once the salary was leaked in Jan. He then let KK get signed to an OS after having Dom totally f*** with our young players in the playoffs playing staal over him in game 5 and sitting Caufield in game 1. After that he traded a 1st and a 3rd for DVo.

Berg was good at trading two nickels for a dime but he was absolutely not a good gm. Case in point he literally said it was impossible to get a center in a trade and when Dubois asked out of Columbus to go to Montreal. He refused to trade KK for him. Imagine how the team would’ve looked if we had traded KK and the mailloux pick for Dubois. Maybe they still take laine, maybe not but he didn’t make an effort

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Chiarot Weber
Edmundson Petry
Kulak Savard

Hughes has done well in dismantling it for a rebuild. I was hoping to get a 1st for each of Savard, Chiarot, Eddie, and Petry. So far, Matheson is better than a 1st, because he himself could now fetch a 1st. Chiarot got a 1st. I would move Savard for a 1st, but HuGo seem to want to keep him as a mentor. We'll see what becomes of Eddie, given his injuries.

Then Kulak for a 2nd and 7th was great. As was Weber's LTIR contract for the potential of Gurianov.
Oh boy.

Do you know that Savard was Weber's replacement? He was on the other team when we went to the finals.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Oh boy.

Do you know that Savard was Weber's replacement? He was on the other team when we went to the finals.

oh boy. Yes I do. But Bergevin brought in all those dmen, and those were the assets that Hughes had when he took over to rebuild...

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Chiarot Weber
Edmundson Petry
Kulak Savard

The more Bergevin built the d-core, the worse it got. Never saw a team with such a dearth of puck moving. Glad that bozo is gone.

Reactions: Nedved

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
If this isn’t sarcasm I feel sorry for you as I’m pretty sure you just revisionist historied your way too an arrow on an Apple. we technically wouldn’t have made the playoffs that year if not for the Canadian division. Danault didn’t see the writing on the wall, danault wanted away from berg and they didn’t negotiate once the salary was leaked in Jan. He then let KK get signed to an OS after having Dom totally f*** with our young players in the playoffs playing staal over him in game 5 and sitting Caufield in game 1. After that he traded a 1st and a 3rd for DVo.

Berg was good at trading two nickels for a dime but he was absolutely not a good gm. Case in point he literally said it was impossible to get a center in a trade and when Dubois asked out of Columbus to go to Montreal. He refused to trade KK for him. Imagine how the team would’ve looked if we had traded KK and the mailloux pick for Dubois. Maybe they still take laine, maybe not but he didn’t make an effort
You know this how exactly?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

The guy who effectively took a team with a Norris and Vezina winner in their prime and didn't do anything with them, being the first team in history who had both and did squat... The guy who actually took that advantage and made the team go through all sorts of all time lows in a 100 year history... That, if not for COVID, would have gone 5 straight years without the playoffs. THAT guy was smart and underrated ? Get the f*** out of here.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You made a list of defence pairs that had Kulak and Savard both on the list.
It's a list of assets that Hughes inherited from Bergevin. I didn't put Romanov on the list because Tmmins brought Romanov in.

You can substitute Romanov for Savard and then skip a line and write Savard's name if that works better for you as a visual. Or do that with Savard, and leave Romanov's name out.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The more Bergevin built the d-core, the worse it got. Never saw a team with such a dearth of puck moving. Glad that bozo is gone.
Yeah I'm glad he's gone. But he did bring in some good individual pieces.

When he tried to bring in some finess, he brought in Wideman. :)

Although Timmins had been cold for a while, until his recent hit streak of Sergachev, Romanov, Guhle, Harris, Mailloux, MB wasted Sergachev.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I wonder if there were any talks of trading Savard at the deadline.

I think he would have been useful for a team looking to make a run.

Or did the Habs want to keep him around for now?

Reactions: Canadienna

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Bergevin wasn’t terrible but he was inconsistent and he didn’t understand team building. He acquired guys, sometimes it worked out, sometimes it didn’t.

The last offseason was terrible. He couldn’t have done much worse.

Jul 6, 2016
Yeah I'm glad he's gone. But he did bring in some good individual pieces.

When he tried to bring in some finess, he brought in Wideman. :)

Although Timmins had been cold for a while, until his recent hit streak of Sergachev, Romanov, Guhle, Harris, Mailloux, MB wasted Sergachev.
MacAvoy is better than him.

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad