Value of: David Savard

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Frankly, I was expecting to see Kapanen (actually #4) at or near the top, as my point was originally going to be "he's playing with the sorts of guys we already have". Turned out his linemates were, um, a cut above that. :eek:
EDIT: Bonus Fun Stuff - Kapanen's most common forward linemate was indeed Kerfoot. Looks like Kapanen just moved around a lot. Go figure.

And my benchmark for a sufficient #2C is actually higher than that; I prefer a 50-point pace or more (so, more .6/.61 than .5 ppg). I'm just willing to pay attention to cases in which the player is in between those two marks with a little bribery (thus the Tierney-and-a-pick debate above), because Jenner and Wennberg fell pretty short this year and so that's still at least probably a marginal upgrade.

Now that Kadri is no longer a possibility, which targets did you have in mind? Outside of the mentioned Tierney that is.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
I mean in all fairness, they traded Kadri for 1 season of Barrie.
What's the point of being intentionally disingenious when people knownwhat the deal actually was. Not a good look so I dont see the point

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I mean in all fairness, they traded Kadri for 1 season of Barrie.
We didnt intend for him to be a one-and-done. I believe they even had contract discussions before the season started, and Barries camp started at 8x8, which thank goodness discussions seemingly didnt go far. We all know what happened, he turned out to be a disappointment and we extended Muzzin which showed management made up their minds early on.

Hey, plus we got Kerfoot ;)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If some team wants to move a couple 2020 2nd rounders for Savard at the draft. I think the Jackets might be interested. I don't see a great 2C coming in return here, I'd rather they just give the job to Texier/Foudy and re-evaluate later on.

any interest in Chris Tierney (2020-RFA) + picks from OTT?

Not interested in Tierney. See above about picks.

FWIW, I think he'd make a good long term fit in Ottawa because they need RHD help to complement Chabot/Brannstrom and to shelter all the young guys that aren't ready for big minutes there. If you don't have a long term deal worked out though, I wouldn't do that trade. Ottawa needs the picks.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
We didnt intend for him to be a one-and-done. I believe they even had contract discussions before the season started, and Barries camp started at 8x8, which thank goodness discussions seemingly didnt go far. We all know what happened, he turned out to be a disappointment and we extended Muzzin which showed management made up their minds early on.

Hey, plus we got Kerfoot ;)

My point being is that Tor has shown that they are open to long term risks for short term gains. If it can make the team better today they might accept some uncertainty going forward.

Whatever the intentions may have been it was obvious before the trade that Barrie was going to have a big ask in UFA and Tor was aware of that. Hell even the fact that Barrie was a bad fit in Babs system wasn't a surprise, at least everyone familiar with both entities more or less called that.

Hell I mean even after the predicted issues the guy still put up 39 points in 70 games and the playoff results are yet to happen.

I really was just commenting on a trade that before it occurred HFB thought it would never happen because of the risks associated but Tor still felt the upside was worth it. So I think we should learn from that and not be so quick to assume things like the commentor I was quoting. If it makes the team better now, I think it is something that will at least be considered.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Savard
J. Anderson
Foudy

For

Nylander

Tossing this grenade here...

Tor has had plenty of opportunities to move their trio and unless they win the Lotto I see no reason why that has changed. Not to mention half of the teams in the league would beat that easily.

Reactions: Fro

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
If some team wants to move a couple 2020 2nd rounders for Savard at the draft. I think the Jackets might be interested. I don't see a great 2C coming in return here, I'd rather they just give the job to Texier/Foudy and re-evaluate later on.

Not interested in Tierney. See above about picks.

FWIW, I think he'd make a good long term fit in Ottawa because they need RHD help to complement Chabot/Brannstrom and to shelter all the young guys that aren't ready for big minutes there. If you don't have a long term deal worked out though, I wouldn't do that trade. Ottawa needs the picks.

From all optics, it still seems as if CBJ is looking to be competitive now, especially if they have a good playoff run this year and I don't see players that wont be ready for 4-5 years as aligning with their current goals. I would at least assume they would be looking for a more immediate impact.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
What's the point of being intentionally disingenious when people knownwhat the deal actually was. Not a good look so I dont see the point

Your assumptions are about as off as your ability to form coherent and understandable sentences. All of that looks like it was typed by a poorly coded bot so I will just leave the response as thus and point anyone else to the reply to the other poster who actually made sense.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
Your assumptions are about as off as your ability to form coherent and understandable sentences. All of that looks like it was typed by a poorly coded bot so I will just leave the response as thus and point anyone else to the reply to the other poster who actually made sense.
I'll slow it down for you.

There. Was. No. Point. In. Being. Intentionally. Disingenious.

I know an extra letter threw you for a loop last time so good luck

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I'll slow it down for you.

There. Was. No. Point. In. Being. Intentionally. Disingenious.

I know an extra letter threw you for a loop last time so good luck

Saying something dumb a second time with more periods doesn't change anything haha.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
Saying something dumb a second time with more periods doesn't change anything haha.
Keep deflecting. Was the trade Barrie for Kadri 1 for 1?

If you answered no, then you're being intentionally disingenuous but considering you've already avoided actually replying to what I'm saying, you'll just avoid that question.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The center piece in any Nylander trade will not be David Savard.

Agreed. While I like Foudy and Anderson, Savard appears to be in the midst of a decline. Definitely not worth the risk of re-signing incase the wheels fall off.

comparison_dashboard-4-png.351341

comparison_dashboard-5-png.351342

comparison_dashboard-6-png.351343

comparison_dash-1-png.351344

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
From all optics, it still seems as if CBJ is looking to be competitive now, especially if they have a good playoff run this year and I don't see players that wont be ready for 4-5 years as aligning with their current goals. I would at least assume they would be looking for a more immediate impact.

They have Andrew Peeke who looks like he could be a top 4 RHD next year or the year after, and Nutivaara and Kukan who both play comfortably on the right side with the left side totally jammed up. I'm not too concerned about the team being competitive, they will be. It will be a middling team for awhile until they get some topline talent. That's what the draft picks are for.

Reactions: cslebn

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Has Savard's play declined much, or does he not fit into Columbus' future plans?

The first "decline" I'm hearing about is on the trade boards, and I watched every game. It has never come up with Jackets fans on any forum I take part in.

It's impossible to keep this D group together, they'll all need $$, and Savard is the oldest, with a soon to be expired contract.

wow savard has been getting filled in for a while now

On A3Z, sure. On the ice his goals against rates (GA/60) have barely budged.

I'm not saying there isn't something underlying in decline, but you can't see it from watching him and you don't see it in the goals results.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Savard for Mittelstadt? Young cheap and still has top-6 upside. Can play wing or center.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Now that Kadri is no longer a possibility, which targets did you have in mind? Outside of the mentioned Tierney that is.
Having trouble finding good ones that would involve Savard, or would be available at all. I have some interest in going after Domi, for example, but Montreal isn't exactly lacking in quality RHDs. And the Monahan rumors are of course interesting, but naturally he'd be expensive as f*** to acquire.

And Tierney's actually short of my standards; I was more thinking of the "and picks" on that one. A better example of the type of guy I'd go for would be someone like Henrique, except Henrique's contract worries me greatly. And I'm not willing to go anywhere near either of the Stromes; they're both entirely the product of superstar wingers. So there's not many options.

Most probable outcome is that we end up tossing Foudy and/or Texier out there, and hoping Jenner can help bring 'em up to speed quickly enough.

Reactions: Meeqs

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think the Jackets look to keep their top-4 of Werenski / Jones and Gavrikov / Savard together for the next 3-5 years. If a move were to happen, I would expect that it would include one of the guys on their 3rd pairing ,(Murray, Nutivaara, or Kukan). I think Peeke is developed more slowly and continues to get 3rd pairing minutes for the next year to two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad