Value of: David Savard to Toronto

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
This is another player where it doesn't really work for the Leafs unless we can send back Zaitsev, which makes it not work for most contending teams, so why even bother?

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
A top 6 forward for a top 4 defenseman.

He would be hard to replace in Columbus. Likely Gavrikov will be coming over next season so he’s one of the pieces that could help replace Savard. It is still a very young group of Jones, Werenski, Murray and Nutivaara plus Gavrikov, with decent depth like Harrington, Kukan, and a pretty good prospect in Carlsson. It’s easy to see how he could potentially be an odd man out in the future, or at least his trade value could exceed his role on the team. But he’s definitely a core member of the defense. He’s been top 2 or 3 time on ice for the last 4-5 years.

With the group of Jones, Werenski, and Murray, he’s probably no longer relied on to be a top 3 defenseman, but he likely would be one of the top 3 in Toronto. So Savards value would probably be not one of the top 3 forwards on Toronto but one of the other next best.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
A top 6 forward for a top 4 defenseman.

He would be hard to replace in Columbus. Likely Gavrikov will be coming over next season so he’s one of the pieces that could help replace Savard. It is still a very young group of Jones, Werenski, Murray and Nutivaara plus Gavrikov, with decent depth like Harrington, Kukan, and a pretty good prospect in Carlsson. It’s easy to see how he could potentially be an odd man out in the future, or at least his trade value could exceed his role on the team. But he’s definitely a core member of the defense. He’s been top 2 or 3 time on ice for the last 4-5 years.

With the group of Jones, Werenski, and Murray, he’s probably no longer relied on to be a top 3 defenseman, but he likely would be one of the top 3 in Toronto. So Savards value would probably be not one of the top 3 forwards on Toronto but one of the other next best.

That’s the thing, there’s a catastrophic gap in value between Toronto’s top 3 forwards and their next best.

RantanenRavin

Jun 24, 2017
That’s the thing, there’s a catastrophic gap in value between Toronto’s top 3 forwards and their next best.
How many teams top 3 consist of 3 players like Tavares, Mathews and Marner though? The only other teams that can even compare in my opinion are Pittsburgh, Colorado, Tampa and Boston, and even then, its debatable st best

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
How many teams top 3 consist of 3 players like Tavares, Mathews and Marner though? The only other teams that can even compare in my opinion are Pittsburgh, Colorado, Tampa and Boston, and even then, its debatable st best
I think there's quite a few teams who have a top three equal to Toronto. Even Edmonton.

RantanenRavin

Jun 24, 2017
I think there's quite a few teams who have a top three equal to Toronto. Even Edmonton.

While everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, I disagree with yours wholeheartedly. In what world are Nugent-Hopkins and Marner equal?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
While everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, I disagree with yours wholeheartedly. In what world are Nugent-Hopkins and Marner equal?
In the same world that Matthews is equal to McDavid?
I'd say McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH are just as good a top three as Matthews, Marner and Tavares.

Seguin, Benn and Radulov.
Scheifele, Wheeler and Connor.
Kucherov, Stamkos and Point.
Crosby, Malkin and Kessell.
Ovechkin, Backstrom and Kuznetsov.
Bergeron, Pastrnak and Marchand.
MacKinnon, Rantanen and Landeskog.

I think they're all pretty comparable as a group. If you want to break it down and compare individual players you go right ahead, but as groups it's all pretty close.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
If the leafs were to trade an asset for a D man Savard isn't the guy the leafs should go after. Pass from Toronto

Reactions: Mork

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad