Confirmed with Link: David Savard signed to 5-year extension ($4.25 AAV)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I've not been a fan of Savard's - I've been trying to come around as his profile has risen but it hasn't really happened.

That said it's pretty clear (more so mow obviously) that the FO views him as part of the core, so I guess this is a good thing.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I agree it's a good deal. Savard is likely to see a big increase in scoring, so it's a relief to see this deal before his perceived value gets out of hand. I don't think Savard is a true top pair D, even if he scores 45 points. But he's certainly a good top four D, and we got him locked up well into his UFA years at less than the open market rate for second pair D.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
If the defense is as good as the FO seems to believe it is, this is a good deal. Not sure we could have gotten both Murray and Savard signed if they both had big years and remained under the cap.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Its a good deal in that it buys into his UFA years. Look at the crop of this year's UFA defenseman and tell me Savard wouldn't have gotten 4.25 on the open market. I know he wouldn't have been a UFA, but with the cap and prices going up, this is a pretty good deal for a top 4 defenseman who will likely continue to improve. I don't like the number for right now, but in a couple years it could look pretty good.

Although I must say that every time I see someone sign an extension, my worries about our future cap situation creep back up.

Stretch Factor

Jun 26, 2007
I've not been a fan of Savard's - I've been trying to come around as his profile has risen but it hasn't really happened.

That said it's pretty clear (more so mow obviously) that the FO views him as part of the core, so I guess this is a good thing.

Agreed. Hope we're wrong, but I just don't see what others see with Savard.

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
At the current time Savard is legitimate TOP-4 def for any NHL team, even Chicago and Calgary.I think 4,25 is a good price for TOP-4 def, especially this deal close three his UFA years.
Good job, Jarmo!

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I agree it's a good deal. Savard is likely to see a big increase in scoring, so it's a relief to see this deal before his perceived value gets out of hand. I don't think Savard is a true top pair D, even if he scores 45 points. But he's certainly a good top four D, and we got him locked up well into his UFA years at less than the open market rate for second pair D.

Exactly. It's a really good deal, especially if you look at what he would probably get in a few years if he keeps improving at the same pace. I look at him as Tyutin's replacement. Not necessarily in style of play, just their overally role on the team. Top 4 d that can move up if needed and who is signed to a pretty good deal.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Exactly. It's a really good deal, especially if you look at what he would probably get in a few years if he keeps improving at the same pace. I look at him as Tyutin's replacement. Not necessarily in style of play, just their overally role on the team. Top 4 d that can move up if needed and who is signed to a pretty good deal.

There is the rub.

I don't think we've seen the best yet from Savard, so I'll say it's a decent contract. Based on his play to this point alone, I'd feel like this is a bit of overpayment.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Dunno about this one. Jarmo is really banking on continued improvement, and I think his play last season has at least earned him that much. But the contract is a pretty large commitment. Let's hope Savard keeps on trucking.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I thought Savard was our best defenseman last year. He has some mistakes, but his improvement is why the FO believed Wisniewski was expendable. Hopefully he keeps improving.

I'm sure blahblah will be giddy when he finds out.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Interesting notes:

Savard was 4th among NHL defensemen in (4-on-5) shorthanded ice time last year, behind Andy Greene, Jack Johnson, and Alex Pietrangelo, and slightly ahead of Rob Scuderi and Alex Goligoski.

In order:
Greene had 308:45 of this ice time, with 40 power play goals against. His team's PK % was 80.60 against a league average of 81.34%. (One PP against every 7:43)

Johnson had 241:53 of this ice time, with 31 power play goals against. His team's PK % was 80.20 against a league average of 81.34%. (One PP against every 7:48)

Pietrangelo had 234:53 of this ice time, with 26 power play goals against. His team's PK % was 83.66 against a league average of 81.34%. (One PP against every 9:02)

Savard had 232:36 of this ice time, with 26 power play goals against. His team's PK % was 80.20 against a league average of 81.34%. (One PP against every 8:56)

Scuderi had 230:17 of this ice time, with 31 power play goals against. His team's PK % was 84.84 against a league average of 81.34%. (One PP against every 7:25)

Goligoski had 228:20 of this ice time, with 27 power play goals against. His team's PK % was 80.71 against a league average of 81.34%. (One PP against every 8:27)

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I'm not sold on this one either.
I understand we are a small market team and just like the prior GM and Administration you have to sign "core" members before they peak or likely we can't afford them.

But our d-corps is not good. So even if he is the best d-man, it doesn't necessarily mean he's real good. He could just be the tallest midget (sorry PC police).

Hopefully he keeps progressing but that is a lot of years and a few dollars. Yes he can be worth it, but I'm not 100% sold on this one.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I guess this is what you have to do in the cap era that we now are in. So we have him locked for 6 years. The 4.25 is what I had guessed on my cap spreadsheet I play around with. The thing I don't particularly like is the number of guys we have signed long term- individually I can't say why this guy or that guy but collectively it makes me a bit nervous. To me this means Tyutin is gone for sure when his deal runs out if not before. Johnson is questionable for a renewal especially if Murray stays healthy and emerges as a top pair guy.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
The market rate for a top 4 D who kills penalties and puts up ~35 points/yr is certainly at or above $4.25m/yr, no?

I personally like the signing. I'm a little weary of regression but if he can replicate last season or even take another step forward then it'll look like a solid signing.

Oh.. let's not forget that Savard played 23 minutes per game for us last year. He's carrying a top pairing load right now.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Someone brought up the Shattenkirk comparison (Shattenkirk signed a 4.25 for 4 year deal in 2013) for Savard's contract in the mains. This sounds about right. Shattenkirk came off a 43 point season in 2012 before getting his deal, Savard is coming off a 36 point season. 7 points less with the growing cost of player contracts seems about right to me.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Someone brought up the Shattenkirk comparison (Shattenkirk signed a 4.25 for 4 year deal in 2013) for Savard's contract in the mains. This sounds about right. Shattenkirk came off a 43 point season in 2012 before getting his deal, Savard is coming off a 36 point season. 7 points less with the growing cost of player contracts seems about right to me.

Plus, his contract doesn't start until 2016-2017. So, he may be coming off an even better year before it actually starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad