Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
So there’s zero chance they’ll pick a D even it’s the BPA in their rankings? If both Demidov and Lindstrom are gonzo, Iginla or whoever will have to be deemed better than whatever D drops. That would give rise to an interesting outcome.
Well never say never, but I would bet that we aren't drafting a dman.

Reactions: Runner77

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
What if Reinbacher becomes Griffin Reinhart? That's dumb. Yakupov and Michkov have no relation to each other aside from being 5'10 and russian. Yakupov has spent his entire career in the KHL now and he's never even came close to Michkov of last year, at 19.
The point being you cannot start making what if statements, which YOU did. I am quite confident that the Habs have far more Intel on Michkov than you do. Theÿ didn't want him, and you are saying they were wrong before either player has played a game in the league, you are entitled to your opinion but in 5 years you will be proven right or wrong.

And what if Reinbacher becomes Juolevi? Both scenarios are highly unlikely to happen.
That was my point, we don't know.

A Loyal Dog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
So there’s zero chance they’ll pick a D even he’s the BPA in their rankings? If both Demidov and Lindstrom are gonzo, Iginla or whoever will have to be deemed better than whatever D drops. That would give rise to an interesting outcome.
Am I crazy to want Iginla more than Lindstrom?

My top 10 picks in order would be (in order of preference): Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov, Iginla, Buium, Silayev, Dickinson, Parekh, Lindstrom, Eiserman.

I like Lindstrom a LOT, but his injuries scare me a lot.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Again, misinformed post. Was Romanov a red flag when they basically didn't play for the whole year with CSKA because he told them he was going to NA ? Was Mirosnichenko a red flag when they terminated his contract last year? Is Demidov a red flag because they buried him in the MHL because he said he wouldn't resign with SKA ? CSKA and SKA are toxic organisation ran by little men with little brains. Don't be one.

Well apart from Demidov, none of these player were/are of Michkov stature.

It is known that Demidov refused to sign and wants to go to NA. It was the same with Romanov.

Michkov is still undercontract for two years and he had a lot to offer to these organisation.

They are indeed toxic organisation but it is still questionable. There was a lot of smoke and that does not make it away, let's just be honest. Also, it's just smoke, fwiw.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Habs Management think Reinbacher is going to become a Roman Josi or similar.

That's the only way passing on Michkov (and others) for him makes sense.

Reinbacher had better numbers in his draft year than Roman Josi did in his draft year with the Swiss National League. Reinbacher recorded 19 assists and 3 goals in 50 games for EHC Kloten in the 2022-23 season, putting up more points than Josi's 8 points (2 goals, 6 assists) in 35 games during his draft year with the NL.

Reinbacher's impressive performance placed him in the 86th percentile among defensemen for Win Shares in his draft year, which is considered beyond impressive.

While the Swiss National League is not a true development league due to the limited local talent pool, Reinbacher's standout numbers and high-level play against borderline NHLers like Alex Formenton and Tim Heed have caught the attention of scouts.

His hockey IQ, puck handling, and offensive instincts have drawn comparisons to Josi, who went on to become a Norris Trophy winner, and it's clear Habs are hoping for the same from Reinbacher.
I think they expect Redenbacher to become a 25-30TOI 1st pairing D who can play in all game situations and do it well, regardless of regular season or playoffs

Whereas Michkov lacked “completeness” - I. E lack of non offensive zone game

Last edited:
Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Being a dick at 18 certainly sets off red flags though.
As a former player agent, there seems to be things that Hughes is looking for..............and would be very familiar with red flags.
Also gotta think Bobrov has inside info on the kid..................say it again, we should trust the process.
I like how the current regime have been operating the club at this point, and have already earned our trust and some patience.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
It seems pretty obvious to me that Michkov will do well in the NHL and that we will read a lot of bs on this board about it.

Even though it seems quite obvious that their decision to not pick him up, even though we don't exactly know all of them, are still there.

I am not waiting to see Michkov play to see if we should have picked him, I am waiting to see if the flyers will know a lot of success with him or not.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
It seems pretty obvious to me that Michkov will do well in the NHL and that we will read a lot of bs on this board about it.

Even though it seems quite obvious that their decision to not pick him up, even though we don't exactly know all of them, are still there.

I am not waiting to see Michkov play to see if we should have picked him, I am waiting to see if the flyers will know a lot of success with him or not.
I wanted Michkov but I'm not gonna rip on Reinbacher and I really do hope he can become something special

I'm still waiting for some inside information about why we passed on Michkov I'm sure they had their reasons. That said I'm excited to see how good he is in NA.

So far i trust management so i can't complain too much about a single pick and you're right at the end of the day let's see how both franchises end up and how close they get to competing , there's more to winning a cup than picking bpa. Ask Toronto about if a bunch of ppg forwards gets you automatic success.

But I also think if Michkov becomes some Russian demon and scores 100 a year we won't really be able to defend the pick , it will be very difficult in hindsight but that's just the way she goes , michkov could also bust and be a cancer in the NHL who knows

Reactions: Rozz and HabbyGuy

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
Some of these takes are hilarious.

So Michkov was on the same level as Bedard and the greatest Russian prospect ever?

He should have gone #2 then.

Reactions: Redux91

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
I think the most toxic posts are the ones that are calling this thread toxic because we're debating a draft pick. Speaking for myself only, I am well aware that DR is our pick and am rooting for him but that doesn't preclude me from having a healthy/critical debate about pick alternatives on an internet forum; or am I just supposed to nod my head in agreement with the infallible HuGo ? This debate will persist for the foreseeable future as their respective careers unfold. Please, pretty please DR make me eat crow.

Last edited:

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
Hughes reading this board on draft night after he picks Buium over Demidov while he’s still available at 5.

1716230098720.gif

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Why does it matter? Hutson is there to generate offense pts on PP.

Redenbacher likely ends up a more mobile Weber type 25+TOI 1st pairing D capable of all game situations…

How many D are capable of such?
We don't even know to this day if Hutson will be a permanent fixture.....Why does it matter if he doesn't generate offense? Well it's because that's what top 2 D's usually do. And for this pick to be a real success based on where we picked him, that's what we will expect him to be.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
But I keep reading that Michov was in the same realm as Bedard, so something doesn't add up
Where do you read this? EOTP who has a great website for the consensus....had Michkov at 4. That doesn't strike me as the same realm as Bedard. You'd think that if a guy would be in the same realm, he would have gotten a few No1 votes no? And he didn't. By nobody. Bedard was unanimous.

Reactions: Habs and Tyson

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I think the most toxic posts are the ones that are calling this thread toxic because we're debating a draft pick. Speaking for myself only, I am well aware that DR is our pick and am rooting for him but that doesn't preclude me from having a healthy/critical debate about pick alternatives on an internet forum; or am I just supposed to nod my head in agreement with the infallible HuGo ? This debate will persist for the foreseeable future as their respective careers unfold. Please, pretty please DR make me eat crow.

The issue is moreso those posters who act like their opinion is an objective fact and build their argument off of that silly premise. The toxicity is the incessant and repetitive arguing without the ability to recognize the argument itself is based on nothing of substance.

Debating preferences & opinions doesn't have to be toxic, some just can't separate opinion from fact.

DR is, today, no more or less assured of being a better NHLer than Michkov or any of the other '23 picks yet to set foot on an NHL rink for a regular season game.

To argue otherwise as if it's anything more than baseless opinion/preference, is no argument at all. Posters that get all offended for this being pointed out is what details these "debates".

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
The issue is moreso those posters who act like their opinion is an objective fact and build their argument off of that silly premise. The toxicity is the incessant and repetitive arguing without the ability to recognize the argument itself is based on nothing of substance.

Debating preferences & opinions doesn't have to be toxic, some just can't separate opinion from fact.

DR is, today, no more or less assured of being a better NHLer than Michkov or any of the other '23 picks yet to set foot on an NHL rink for a regular season game.

To argue otherwise as if it's anything more than baseless opinion/preference, is no argument at all. Posters that get all offended for this being pointed out is what details these "debates".
Will always have a harder time with the ''objective fact'' premise. Again, it's a board of opinions. Facts, we can read it on NHL.com statsboard. We don't have to write in my opinion everytime.

Thing is, some have a harder time accepting opinions of others when it goes against their opinion. That is ALSO NOT A FACT. Yes, right now, Reinbacher could become Pietrangelo and Michkov can become Yakupov. Most definately. But again...if we wait till we have the facts...what's the point in discussing the 2023 draft or even the 2024 one? Should we solely be reviewing the 2017 drafts and below?

The toxicity of the debate is not amongst ourselves. It's when it's directed towards a 18-year old kid that just want to develop in his own way. I might have a take on the subject...but if I see him on the street I won't shout...HEY YOU 2ND PAIR CEILING!!!!! I will say good luck 'cause in the end, I want my team to win. And no matter what whoever does elsewhere, he has to do well here.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Mudz

David >> Michkov
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
I think they expect Redenbacher to become a 25-30TOI 1st pairing D who can play in all game situations and do it well, regardless of regular season or playoffs

Whereas Michkov lacked “completeness” - I. E lack of non offensive zone game

and the DR pick just comes and solidify the D-corp for the whole window. It's the right Guhle. It's just much more important as a role than high scoring winger. The later is a way more sexy role and it explains a big part of the drama.

This Habs brass puts a premium on the general spirit around the team so I feel like keeping a teammate kicker away was also part of the decision process.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Where do you read this? EOTP who has a great website for the consensus....had Michkov at 4. That doesn't strike me as the same realm as Bedard. You'd think that if a guy would be in the same realm, he would have gotten a few No1 votes no? And he didn't. By nobody. Bedard was unanimous.

The quote you just replied too was someone saying just that.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Some of these takes are hilarious.

So Michkov was on the same level as Bedard and the greatest Russian prospect ever?

He should have gone #2 then.
Firstly, I don't see why where he should have gone means anything. Caufield was supposed to be a lock at top 10 and maybe even top 5 yet he fell to 15th OA. High end prospects can and have fallen more than they should have due to various reasons. Maybe he proves them wrong, maybe he doesn't, only time will tell.

Secondly, you can't scoff at the thought of Michkov being comparable to Bedard without also scoffing at the thought of Reinbacher becoming a Heiskanen like player. The former is far more likely to happen than the latter, I don't think it's outlandish to say that Michkov's ceiling is significantly higher than Reinbacher. But same thing, maybe Michkov really is a headcase and can't be useful in the playoffs, maybe he isn't and can be a key player, only time will tell.

The double standard is very silly.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
So there’s zero chance they’ll pick a D even he’s the BPA in their rankings? If both Demidov and Lindstrom are gonzo, Iginla or whoever will have to be deemed better than whatever D drops. That would give rise to an interesting outcome.

It's funny, despite all this talk about choosing a dman over the forward in the Michkov draft, when D could have been seen as an organizational strength, I'd still choose Levshunov at 5 if he were there for us in this draft. It's not about position, it's about BPA, a thing a majority of us believe Michkov was.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Am I crazy to want Iginla more than Lindstrom?

My top 10 picks in order would be (in order of preference): Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov, Iginla, Buium, Silayev, Dickinson, Parekh, Lindstrom, Eiserman.

I like Lindstrom a LOT, but his injuries scare me a lot.
That’s a fair statement….they worry me a tad but he’s so young, player’s recuperate from these type of injuries.

I’d roll the dice on him as his skill level and size scream top 3…. And to be able to get him at 5 could potentially be a gift from the hockey gods….we’ll see

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site

This. I do not see anything toxic about this discussion, especially in comparison to the Slafkovsky thread. No one is dumping on Reinbacher, they're just questioning the decision of picking him instead,

We all like David and want him to succeed,

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I wanted Michkov but I'm not gonna rip on Reinbacher and I really do hope he can become something special

I'm still waiting for some inside information about why we passed on Michkov I'm sure they had their reasons. That said I'm excited to see how good he is in NA.

So far i trust management so i can't complain too much about a single pick and you're right at the end of the day let's see how both franchises end up and how close they get to competing , there's more to winning a cup than picking bpa. Ask Toronto about if a bunch of ppg forwards gets you automatic success.

But I also think if Michkov becomes some Russian demon and scores 100 a year we won't really be able to defend the pick , it will be very difficult in hindsight but that's just the way she goes , michkov could also bust and be a cancer in the NHL who knows
I was curious as to why the habs and 5 other teams missed on this guy?? I wanted a forward, and was surprised we went with a D.............and here we are again this year, wanting a forward....

But agree, none of this is on Reinbacher, he will be a good pick for us, and off we go!

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021

No doubt Bedard was 1.
But when you look at that link, it shows Michkov 4 from 2-5
Smith behind at 5th 4-8
And DR 11th from 6-23.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad