Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
No, its not, that's your interpretation.

Again, I stated a FACT, 6 teams did pass on him, that's all I stated.

Your subjective analysis of the 5 players picked ahead of him and the reason why it was OK for those teams to pass on him, but not the Habs.

Is just that, subjective, and not YET rooted in fact, unlike you and many others are attempting to say.
But you are trying to make a point out of sometihng that was never a point. Nobody claims that we passed on a guy who should have been No1. The claim is that we passed on somebody that should have been picked at 5. All things considered, I'M pretty sure that most people who would have wanted Michkov...would have taken Bédard, Carlsson and Fantilli ahead....and maybe even Smith.

I think in about 2 seasons of proper development we will all be happy that the Habs picked Reinbacher. If anyone hasn't seen his 1st AHL goal I recommend you see it.
I still believe that Reinbacher will be a NHL'er. For sure. Yet, no matter the 1st goal.....I'm really hesitant to think that he is an offensive d-man that will see some No1 PP. No2? Maybe. But to me, Reinbacher will be a No3-4. Solid one. A guy we will indeed like to have in the playoffs.

He'd even be fine handling Michkov 1 on 1 in the playoffs...lol

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
If you’ve looked into how Bobrov reportedly acts in draft meetings, it’s not far fetched to state that he has a preponderant view. He was the lead Euro scout for the Rangers — those failed Euro draftees were all recommended by him.

So now we’re getting personal. Obtuse? WTF are you, a philosopher king?

Maybe you watched The Shawshsnk Redemption too many times. Obtuse my ass.

Maybe some of us are not as “obtuse” as you are for thinking that an appeal to authority is an absolute concept. Go take a swim in refuse water with Andy Dufresne. If you can’t respond without resorting to condescending qualifiers, you’re not worth my time.
I wasn't directing obtuse at you and I apologize that it came off that way. I was directing it at myself in acknowledging I follow the draft eligibles closely but I'm not close to this situation (not many are given he's playing in the KHL).

Maybe practice a little bit of what you preach however and take it easy on the "appeal to authority" personal jabs when all I'm doing is suggesting that there are people getting paid big bucks who are privy to a lot of intimate knowledge on the Michkov file that go beyond basic stats and highlight reels.

As for Michkov, he's not comparable to Bedard as you suggest or he would have gone #2 overall. He's not even close to Bedard's prospect or phenom status.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
But you are trying to make a point out of sometihng that was never a point. Nobody claims that we passed on a guy who should have been No1. The claim is that we passed on somebody that should have been picked at 5. All things considered, I'M pretty sure that most people who would have wanted Michkov...would have taken Bédard, Carlsson and Fantilli ahead....and maybe even Smith.
But I keep reading that Michov was in the same realm as Bedard, so something doesn't add up

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I still believe that Reinbacher will be a NHL'er. For sure. Yet, no matter the 1st goal.....I'm really hesitant to think that he is an offensive d-man that will see some No1 PP. No2? Maybe. But to me, Reinbacher will be a No3-4. Solid one. A guy we will indeed like to have in the playoffs.

He'd even be fine handling Michkov 1 on 1 in the playoffs...lol
Why does it matter? Hutson is there to generate offense pts on PP.

Redenbacher likely ends up a more mobile Weber type 25+TOI 1st pairing D capable of all game situations…

How many D are capable of such?

Reactions: HankyZetts

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Oh, so by that reasoning, Reinbacher can become the Slafkovsky of defence? Can’t wait to see it then.

Assuming Reinbacher and Michkov were within the same tier, why opt for the player with the low offensive projection when the team has a crying need for offence? Plus, the team already has a lot of D as it is but no potential elite scoring forward in the pipeline. Just puzzling at this time but here’s hoping you’re right about Reinbacher.
The habs were near the bottom of the league in both goals for and goals against. There is a need for offensive help and also for defensive help.

The offense is weak but the D is only impressive if you consider how young they are, not that they’re good now, more that there is hope they will grow. We’ll see if Dach can stay healthy and make an impact on both sides of the ice, but there is still a lot of work to be done. Some of that work will be plugging in guys like Beck as they age in, some will be signing defensive forwards and improving the bottom six. Even so there is a need for higher end players at most positions.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Picture DR reading this thread about him.
He'd probably say "Yeah Im not as good as Michkov f*** me."

Why does it matter? Hutson is there to generate offense pts on PP.

Redenbacher likely ends up a more mobile Weber type 25+TOI 1st pairing D capable of all game situations…

How many D are capable of such?
Thats lofty expectations. You expect him to be a top 3 D of his era ? Even I as his biggest fan can't say he's anything close to that.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
He'd probably say "Yeah Im not as good as Michkov f*** me."

Thats lofty expectations. You expect him to be a top 3 D of his era ? Even I as his biggest fan can't say he's anything close to that.
Then he goes to the Fantilli, Carlsson, Smith, Simashev threads and nothing is going on.

Can picture him being « surprised » to be singled out.

Nothing he can do about it. Got to show his stuff next year in Laval.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Then he goes to the Fantilli, Carlsson, Smith, Simashev threads and nothing is going on.

Can picture him being « surprised » to be singled out.

Nothing he can do about it. Got to show his stuff next year in Laval.
It's only true because they have no fans. Ask Philly how they felt when they passed on Cole for York.

Fantilli and Carlsson were rightful pick, they have similar upside than Michkov. It would've been the same had we skipped either of them if they fell.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
It's only true because they have no fans. Ask Philly how they felt when they passed on Cole for York.

Fantilli and Carlsson were rightful pick, they have similar upside than Michkov. It would've been the same had we skipped either of them if they fell.
Agree on Fantilli and Carlsson.

Philly passed on Cole twice. Traded down at 11 and picked York at 14. Ended up with 2 pieces (Brink)

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
I think what's being underappreciated here is that we are in it to try and win Stanley Cups, and Michkovs profile as a player is more Johnny gaudreau than it is Wyatt Johnston. Reinbacher is more Heiskanen than not. Hence it's easy to see how the Habs organization prioritized the top pairing Dman, in my opinion

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey

That deal also helped get Bobby Brink.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Michkov coming early (if true) in my opinion, is as red flaggish as it can be.

Why in the f*** would CSKA Moscow already free him after two season where they loaned him?

Why in the f*** would they do this?

I am totally speculating but i doubt they are doing this because he is a convivial teammate.
Again, misinformed post. Was Romanov a red flag when they basically didn't play for the whole year with CSKA because he told them he was going to NA ? Was Mirosnichenko a red flag when they terminated his contract last year? Is Demidov a red flag because they buried him in the MHL because he said he wouldn't resign with SKA ? CSKA and SKA are toxic organisation ran by little men with little brains. Don't be one.
Agree on Fantilli and Carlsson.

Philly passed on Cole twice. Traded down at 11 and picked York at 14. Ended up with 2 pieces (Brink)
And that makes it even dumber.
I think what's being underappreciated here is that we are in it to try and win Stanley Cups, and Michkovs profile as a player is more Johnny gaudreau than it is Wyatt Johnston. Reinbacher is more Heiskanen than not. Hence it's easy to see how the Habs organization prioritized the top pairing Dman, in my opinion
And what is your source on this ? Love Reinbacher but he is probably not Heiskanen. Michkov could pretty much be Patrick Kane rather than Johnny Gaudreau. Very funny and pretty telling that you would use the absolute worse example of a "smallish" forward to compare the players.

For all we know, and from what I've seen, Michkov is one of the most intense/competitive players in the world.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Easy? Not sure i follow. Gaudreau vs Johnston, Heiskanen vs ?

You saying Reinbacher will win a Cup in Mtl but MM wouldnt have?

Or you mean D over W? If so you would go D again next month if Demidov goes?

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

And Smith went before him and he has 70 pt potential at best. If Michkov reaches his potential it is likely 70 pts and probably a one way player. Don't need 2 small players and a small one dimensional player. Habs have enough small players.

It's simple. Johnston is a player you win a Cup with. Gaudreau is not.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
And Smith went before him and he has 70 pt potential at best. If Michkov reaches his potential it is likely 70 pts and probably a one way player. Don't need 2 small players and a small one dimensional player. Habs have enough small players.

70 points is very conservative for the best russian prospect ever. We could've just traded Caufield, anyway he doesn't seem to be any good any more. What if Michkov becomes Kane? What if he becomes Brière ? What if he becomes Kucherov ? What if he becomes Point ?

Why are you only using Gaudreau? Anyway, it's not like Gaudreau has been a "bad" playoff player with a better PPG than Johnston has now.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Yes ofcourse. 100 percent. It's just that this team has gone decades without a bonified offensive star, which when you think of this team's illustrious history is both incredulous and sad.

Its almost impossible to get those types without drafting them, atleast in Montreal. So when one potentially was there for the picking and passed on you can understand how this one is different for a majority of hab fans. Even if here's no guarantee he hits his vast potential.

I personally now hope he busts and am team Reinbacher all the way. :)
I totally get it.

Though I don't really get the certainty some have on Michkov being "that" guy.

1/2 the top 10 scorers this year were picked outside the top 5, including the top scorer who wasn't even a 1st Rd pick. Outside the can't miss elite stars, it's a crapshoot for any team to draft, develop and retain elite talent.

We've had a bad run of terrible GMs, but that issue seems well resolved. Slaf looks like "that guy", and within a few seasons we may have 1 or 2 more already in house (CC, Dach, Newhook, Roy).

Future is bright, with or without Michkov, the next decade won't look like the last one.

Reinbacher may well become the Pietrangelo or Heiskanen that eats minutes on a top contending roster... That possibility is just as, if not more likely than Michkov being the next Kucherov

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
I totally get it.

1/2 the top 10 scorers this year were picked outside the top 5, including the top scorer who wasn't even a 1st Rd pick. Outside the can't miss elite stars, it's a crapshoot for any team to draft, develop and retain elite talent.

We've had a bad run of terrible GMs, but that issue seems well resolved. Slaf looks like "that guy", and within a few seasons we may have 1 or 2 more already in house (CC, Dach, Newhook, Roy).

Future is bright, with or without Michkov, the next decade won't look like the last one.

Reinbacher may well become the Pietrangelo or Heiskanen that eats minutes on a top contending roster... That possibility is just as, if not more likely than Michkov being the next Kucherov

In no way do I think passing on Michkov is going to sink our ship, our future is indeed bright, and we are in good hands with Hugo. I can totally see Reinbacher as a important piece to our team.

My contention was/is at the time, that Michkov was the BPA and also a need. Don't ask me where my confidence comes from other than my own feelings when watching the player play. I have alot of faith in Michkov's abilities.

Time will tell on that front.

I feel Michkov has the potential to be special, while Reinbacher's potential is more "solid' than special. Nothing wrong with that, I just prefered the higher upside.

I can't think of a team's fanbase more starved for a special forward than ours. Slaf has potential to be so, but in a different way. Montreal deserves a truly skilled forward, one that can get us out of our seats and entertain as well as win. It's why I want Demidov so much.

It's been far too long.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The whole problem with the Michkov thing is two-fold,

1. The Habs have needed an offensive player since Naslund left.
2. The Habs didn't want to pick Michkov, even though they recognized that he could be this guy, because he wasn't going to come over soon enough.

Now were seeing fans start the character assassination campaign ? Hilarious.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
The whole problem with the Michkov thing is two-fold,

1. The Habs have needed an offensive player since Naslund left.
2. The Habs didn't want to pick Michkov, even though they recognized that he could be this guy, because he wasn't going to come over soon enough.

Now were seeing fans start the character assassination campaign ? Hilarious.

The character assassination campaign has been going since last year. Habs media and fans are just an arm of their PR these days.

I totally get it.

Why would the possibility be as high? Michkov has produced playing against men and has shown top-end elite skill. Reinbacher's D+1 has been Mid. Where are people getting Pietrangelo or Heiskanen from him? IMO, there are 5 D in this draft that are better prospects than him (with Yakemchuk maybe tied as the 6th), which is why we should have gone with a forward last year.

Reinbacher is an OK defenseman drafted too high in a year that was super weak for defensemen. Michkov, meanwhile, has elite talent. It's no shock people were annoyed.

What about Michkov's insane numbers playing against men makes you think he's Gaudreau rather than Kucherov or Kane? This is using a bad example to promote a narrative. You need good D to win, but you also need gamebreaking talent if you look at the majority of SC winners in recent decades.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
70 points is very conservative for the best russian prospect ever. We could've just traded Caufield, anyway he doesn't seem to be any good any more. What if Michkov becomes Kane? What if he becomes Brière ? What if he becomes Kucherov ? What if he becomes Point ?

Why are you only using Gaudreau? Anyway, it's not like Gaudreau has been a "bad" playoff player with a better PPG than Johnston has now.
That's heavy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad