Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The way he connects plays and makes short area passes is very Markov esque. He may not have the backdoor vision but his passing game is very good.

He's never made a pass that made me think of Markov but to each his own. I think that's setting an extremely high bar since Markov was one of the best puck movers the Habs have had in the last 20+ years. I would say his passing game is good not very good.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Can we at least wait for a full season in North America before criticizing this pick? It's mostly the same posters who are impatient as usual that complain about the pick. The same who complained about Slafkovsky. Honestly, I loved what i saw from him in the AHL in the 12 games he played. Give the kid some practice time with his teammates and learning the system and the NA game, and he will be fantastic.

Andrei Markov wasn't "Andrei Markov" when he was drafted either...He was drafted in the 6th round for a reason. He developed well and when he finally came over to NA, he was turning 22 in December of his first season. I'm not comparing him to Andrei Markov to be clear, just using this player as he was named a few times in this thread.

Markov was a star in Russia and there was a ton of hype when he came over. It was the very early days of the internet for me but I can recall being so excited when it was announced he was coming over.

To me I just wouldn't bring up Markov's name in this as Reinbacher has nothing to do with him and his career will likely look nothing like Markov's because they are very different players.

Sounds like a less offensive Weber

Sounds like a good version of Mike Komisarek

He's nothing like those guys either, he doesn't know how to use his size yet to his advantage, he's not very physical whereas those guys that was the main part of their game, they could check you into next week.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Markov was a star in Russia and there was a ton of hype when he came over. It was the very early days of the internet for me but I can recall being so excited when it was announced he was coming over.

To me I just wouldn't bring up Markov's name in this as Reinbacher has nothing to do with him and his career will likely look nothing like Markov's because they are very different players.

He's nothing like those guys either, he doesn't know how to use his size yet to his advantage, he's not very physical whereas those guys that was the main part of their game, they could check you into next week.

Yes he was a star in his 20 year and 21 year old season over there...especially his 21 year old season. He was drafted as a 19 year old. His 18 year old season he had 12 points in 43 games, and his 19 year old season he had 15 points in 43 games. He wasn't a world beater at that point as he would have been drafted before the 6th round. There were 12 Russians drafted before him.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Markov is in the top-5 in many stats as a dman in Habs history.

Reinbacher has a long way to go before even being mentioned with him.

(I hope he will at some point, though)
I'll be happy if he shows anything close to Markov's ability to cut out plays long before our blue line.
He definitely has the trait in him but what made Markov so good was he rarely made a mistake when doing it.
I love Dmen who know how to defend between the blue lines they are worth their weight in gold.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Reinbacher has historicallt been fantastic at finding open lanes and getting his shot through. His shot is hard and accurate and his playmaking is good. He's not Markov, but he reminds me of young Doughty a lot.
Not sure what history we're talking about. Whether it's regular seasons, playoffs or world games....he doesn't have scoring numbers. Not saying he should have 'cause he was always playing in better leagues...but still....I don't see the correlation here between his scoring numbers and him being FANTASTIC in finding open lanes, getting a HARD AND ACCURATE shot through....

But what would a Reinbacher would have done in a junior CHL league? That we will never know. Again, I think he is a very good passer. Very good IQ. Till he proves otherwise, I don't see him running a No 1PP. Nor does I see him as a great D-man scorer.

Reactions: mdk

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yes he was a star in his 20 year and 21 year old season over there...especially his 21 year old season. He was drafted as a 19 year old. His 18 year old season he had 12 points in 43 games, and his 19 year old season he had 15 points in 43 games. He wasn't a world beater at that point as he would have been drafted before the 6th round. There were 12 Russians drafted before him.

I believe it had to do with him changing from center to D the year before, since he's a late B-day he was with the '79's. He had a big WJC but was considered undersized for a blueliner. His D+1 he put up impressive #'s at the WC's.

The point is when talking about Reinbacher, Markov's name shouldn't be anywhere or have anything to do with Reinbacher, they are nothing alike and their situations very different.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I believe it had to do with him changing from center to D the year before, since he's a late B-day he was with the '79's. He had a big WJC but was considered undersized for a blueliner. His D+1 he put up impressive #'s at the WC's.

The point is when talking about Reinbacher, Markov's name shouldn't be anywhere or have anything to do with Reinbacher, they are nothing alike and their situations very different.

That I agree with, I don't know why he was brought up to begin with.

Reactions: cphabs and montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I brought him up. I liked his first pass a lot in his first game in Laval and it reminded me of how quick and smart Markov started transition. It's not that deep if people don't agree with it.

my concern is that when posters see Markov's name they will upper their expectations for his passing game and that's not fair to him, I think the Habs are being really smart with him, just keep everything low key for now and see how it goes next year. He looked good in Laval, better then I thought he would, but the main thing will be how things go for him next year now that he's gotten a taste of the AHL, he will have a better idea of what to work on this summer.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
That's could be a good comp for him though it's been a long time since i've seen Jay Bo play.
I have a memory of him, and a memory of reinbacher I'd say that's an accurate comp that the average fan would say is not worth a 5th overall pick and the average GM would say it is.

It's a chef's kiss comp

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Interesting that he wants to make Montreal next year, and wants to prove at camp that he's ready.

It sounds like he plans on having a good off-season. Reminds me of Slafkovsky after his D+1 when he promised he'd come back a better player, and did.

I like the drive inherent in that attitude. The drive to be better, to work to be better, and to have confidence in their own expectations while not fearing the expectations others are putting on them. They want it.

This reminded me of this quote from Reinbacher (in Arpon’s piece on him this winter):

“You know dad, you were right,” Harald remembers David telling him. “I always told them that championships are built in the summer. He missed so much practice this summer, he found it hard.”

pretty sure this trait is highly valued from HuGo, this drive to get better and put in the work in the off-season. Let’s see how he does next camp.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
Nah Bouwmeester is one of the best skating D in recent memory. DR is good but he's not at that level.

I maintain that Drew "Brad Doty" Doughty is the closest comparison.
but Doughty is much nastier and more physical. just because Bouwmeester's skating is better doesn't mean that the rest of their game isn't similar.

unless you think your boy Mike Matheson is a modern day Paul Coffey

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
but Doughty is much nastier and more physical. just because Bouwmeester's skating is better doesn't mean that the rest of their game isn't similar.

unless you think your boy Mike Matheson is a modern day Paul Coffey
DR has a very good physical game. Much better than Bouwmeester, for sure. He ran full grown adults on the daily in the NL.

Reactions: cphabs

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
People are really questioning Reinbacher's offense? Lol

This guy always makes the right pass just like Markov did.
It depends on what you’re expecting production wise.

I wouldn’t categorically rule out high end elite offense but I’m certainly not expecting it. Might never sniff a power play which is important to note.

I wouldn’t say Hamrlik floor but I wouldn’t think too much below that. Quietly being the lynch pin of our blue line. Or he’s a #1 without the points but in everything else

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
DR has a very good physical game. Much better than Bouwmeester, for sure. He ran full grown adults on the daily in the NL.
I wouldn’t say he was out and out bullying those guys but I rarely if ever seen him not able to physically contain guys along the boards or get physically outmatched.

Mind you I think those NL forwards were on the smaller side if memory serves. Still you’re right he’s plenty strong. Hope he takes a big leap this offseason

Reactions: Mrb1p

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I have a memory of him, and a memory of reinbacher I'd say that's an accurate comp that the average fan would say is not worth a 5th overall pick and the average GM would say it is.

It's a chef's kiss comp

I wouldn't worry about where he was drafted as once it's done it's a moot point. Now we just need to worry about how much he can progress year over year and go from there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad