Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
It just means you are young and I am old.

It goes back to the 2008 deadline when the Habs were in first place and Gainey was big game hunting

We were in a frenzy here because it seemed like montreal was about to land Hossa, and then reports started going around that his gloves were already spotted at the airport.

Good times.

1710617131314.png

larry-david-checking-out.gif

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Yea, I'm pretty convinced you could have put any top defense prospect in the world on that Kloten team and they would've struggled to put up points.

Kloten completely imploded from last season to this season. Last year their point leader was a 2 way tie at 49 points, and Reinbacher was 2nd in points for defensemen. This season their point leader only had 29 points, Reinbacher took 1st for points by defensemen, and the defensemen that beat Reinbacher's point total last year went from 0.66 points per game to 0.19 points per game.

So it's no surprise we didn't see a progression in his production considering the state of the team. If he was playing in the O then I wouldn't be surprised if he was a PPG player.

Not just that. Lucas Ekeståhl Jonsson was repeatedly benched and scratched until he agreed to terminate his contract. Fleming not getting along with EJ was really the beginning of the end for Kloten. They scratched EJ despite not having another import to replace him because Fleming hated him so much. EJ clearly lost a step compared to last season due to injuries but when he finally left for Rögle, Fleming was fired just a few days later. Furthermore, they replaced EJ with Beaulieu who just doesn't even have NL level. Beaulieu was also a huge burden for Reinbacher who not only lost his regular partner Kellenberger but now had to babysit a clearly inferior defense partner, too. Ultimately, Beaulieu was terminated as well and Kloten finished the season without an import defenseman. Can't make this shit up.

Last edited:

habsprospects

Nov 24, 2003
Sherbrooke, QC
habsprospects.com
You have to see it as there is a loaning contract between Montréal and EHC Kloten for the season, which probably ends on April 30 like most contracts in Europe. So his team could technically be dicks and not let him leave before the contract ends, but it's very unlikely.

« Nous sommes en contact avec Larry – Larry Mitchell est le directeur sportif de Kloten, le club de Reinbacher dans la " National League " – et espérons être en mesure de le convaincre de permettre à David de quitter la Suisse pour venir terminer la saison avec le Rocket », a convenu Kent Hughes, joint plus tôt cette semaine.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
i bet they take a D if he's available , because last year's draft threw their reasoning out of the water.
The Reinbacher pick while not necessary at the time was necessary to the overall plan. They needed at the time a future no.1 G, a top 6 forward, a top line forward, and a top pairing D. While while they could've opted to accomplish getting the top line forward in michkov, etc, they still needed a top pairing D which they got in Reinbacher. The only thing left for them to do draft wise is get a top line forward. Theyre hoping Fowler is the future, they got Reinbacher, and they either got their top 6 F in Newhook or they'll probably make another similar trade near the draft for a zegras, etc. with their plethora of picks and prospects

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The Reinbacher pick while not necessary at the time was necessary to the overall plan. They needed at the time a future no.1 G, a top 6 forward, a top line forward, and a top pairing D. While while they could've opted to accomplish getting the top line forward in michkov, etc, they still needed a top pairing D which they got in Reinbacher.
The only question for me is whether Reinbacher was the BPA at the slot he was taken. And that still has to play out.

I can’t fathom a team drafting for need with such an early pick. If that’s the approach, and they wanted a first pairing D that badly, there was a far greater chance of hitting on one with this year’s draft crop.

Also, nothing precludes them from trading one of their valued D prospects for a top 6 quality forward and then replace that outgoing D with one selected at this draft.

However, if they do go this route, they ought to remain flexible such that position or need does not determine their pick in the event that there is a clear BPA that falls to them.

Reactions: habsfan891

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
The Reinbacher pick while not necessary at the time was necessary to the overall plan. They needed at the time a future no.1 G, a top 6 forward, a top line forward, and a top pairing D. While while they could've opted to accomplish getting the top line forward in michkov, etc, they still needed a top pairing D which they got in Reinbacher. The only thing left for them to do draft wise is get a top line forward. Theyre hoping Fowler is the future, they got Reinbacher, and they either got their top 6 F in Newhook or they'll probably make another similar trade near the draft for a zegras, etc. with their plethora of picks and prospects
Disagree. We knew we were going to suck this year, and it's loaded with D. Last year draft Michkov, Leonard and then if the russian doesn't want to play here trade him, its a highly rated asset. Newhook is barely a 2nd line forward still, has a lot of work to do especially when movin gthe puck at top speed he suffers.

I hope I'm wrong, but Reinbacher still looks like a 3-4 at this point and Newhook is a dime a dozen NHL forward that every team employs.

Reactions: Gravity

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
The only question for me is whether Reinbacher was the BPA at the slot he was taken. And that still has to play out.

I can’t fathom a team drafting for need with such an early pick. If that’s the approach, and they wanted a first pairing D that badly, there was a far greater chance of hitting on one with this year’s draft crop.

Also, nothing precludes them from trading one of their valued D prospects for a top 6 quality forward and then replace that outgoing D with one selected at this draft.

However, if they do go this route, they ought to remain flexible such that position or need does not determine their pick in the event that there is a clear BPA that falls to them.
It's rather hard even in the NHL to assess what I like to call most effective player available. Take someone like prime Pietrangelo. And someone like panarin or kaprizov cause those are the closest comparables for the players imo. Which one would most people say I'd better, probably the forwards. But come playoff time, which is the more effective one when it comes to winning?

I've been quite consistent on the forum with my take that imo, forwards are the least important position come playoff time. For example, whatever you thought about the Habs 2021 playoff run, they still beat 3 decent to very good teams. And it wasn't off the backs of their forwards. It was from 4 big D and Carey Price playing god for 3 rounds. That's basically what happened in 2014 too. Now it's forwards who with ultimately be the deciding factor in close games if everything is equal but for me, I prize a shutdown D who can log 25+ minutes like a Pietrangelo or a Weber more than a great forward unless they're like a Crosby or Bergeron michkov will never be.

Another example is the Chicago Blackhawks runs. Most Blackhawk fans I speak to while saying kane is amazing and was brilliant for them in those runs, come back to Keith being the most important player on those teams.

Disagree. We knew we were going to suck this year, and it's loaded with D. Last year draft Michkov, Leonard and then if the russian doesn't want to play here trade him, its a highly rated asset. Newhook is barely a 2nd line forward still, has a lot of work to do especially when movin gthe puck at top speed he suffers.

I hope I'm wrong, but Reinbacher still looks like a 3-4 at this point and Newhook is a dime a dozen NHL forward that every team employs.
I disagree with your assessment of Reinbacher. The dude is elite defensively. I would like to see a bit more physicality to him but people underrated his type of Dmen far too often while hyping offensive defensemen who arent nearly as effective come playoff rime

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

If all the fwrds drafted since 2018 (a year before Newhook), only 23 are more productive than he is this year...

If that's "dime a dozen" territory for you, that's an interesting perspective, one that I definitely don't share.

Reactions: cphabs

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
It's rather hard even in the NHL to assess what I like to call most effective player available. Take someone like prime Pietrangelo. And someone like panarin or kaprizov cause those are the closest comparables for the players imo. Which one would most people say I'd better, probably the forwards. But come playoff time, which is the more effective one when it comes to winning?

I've been quite consistent on the forum with my take that imo, forwards are the least important position come playoff time. For example, whatever you thought about the Habs 2021 playoff run, they still beat 3 decent to very good teams. And it wasn't off the backs of their forwards. It was from 4 big D and Carey Price playing god for 3 rounds. That's basically what happened in 2014 too. Now it's forwards who with ultimately be the deciding factor in close games if everything is equal but for me, I prize a shutdown D who can log 25+ minutes like a Pietrangelo or a Weber more than a great forward unless they're like a Crosby or Bergeron michkov will never be.

Another example is the Chicago Blackhawks runs. Most Blackhawk fans I speak to while saying kane is amazing and was brilliant for them in those runs, come back to Keith being the most important player on those teams.

I disagree with your assessment of Reinbacher. The dude is elite defensively. I would like to see a bit more physicality to him but people underrated his type of Dmen far too often while hyping offensive defensemen who arent nearly as effective come playoff rime

we burned a first round pick on a defensive Dman? We can sign one of those.
- I generally agree with your other points, it takes a collection of skills to build a team

If all the fwrds drafted since 2018 (a year before Newhook), only 23 are more productive than he is this year...

If that's "dime a dozen" territory for you, that's an interesting perspective, one that I definitely don't share.
Statistically he's a 30 pt player, there are quite a few of those in the NHL.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

D are hugely important as are Cs as they can play any forward position.

However, seems to me you have to go BPA with an early pick, whether he’s a D or a C. Good to high quality goalies can typically be had much later, so they don’t need to enter the equation with a 5OA pick.

We are D-heavy but not elite level player heavy, hence that’s where BPA factors.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Yet easily half the cups in the last 20 years or so went to teams with average+ defense. Pens and Caps ever had great defense. TB defense was good but the depth was not great and i'd easily argue their most important player is a tie between Kucherov and Hedman.

Who is most important depend on your team composition. If you chose to add Pietrangelo instead of Panarin or Kaprisov to our 2021 lineup then imo you're doing it wrong.

However, seems to me you have to go BPA with an early pick, whether he’s a D or a C. Good to high quality goalies can typically be had much later, so they don’t need to enter the equation with a 5OA pick.

We are D-heavy but not elite level player heavy, hence that’s where BPA factors.
Everyone is important. You need stars who can deliver in playoffs the position should not matter. Then you build around them. Stars don't grow on trees. If you look at the position when trying to find them you'll more likely than not fail to find them.

Get the stars and build around them. Cover their weakness. Don't let 3 cups going to Boston, Stl and Vegas in the last 20 years obscure your vision. Teams winning cups are more often then not driven by stars and built effectively around them.

Last edited:

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
- I generally agree with your other points, it takes a collection of skills to build a team
Alex Pietrangelo is a defensive defenseman. Same with Shea Weber. Same with Ryan Suter. They just accumulate PP points to boost their totals. I'd gladly "waste" a top 5 pick on any of those players

But Habs are not elite D heavy. Guhle, Hutson and maybe mailloux. Everyone and their mother knew they would tank again this year. Let's say they somehow draft demidov/lindstrom. I'd rather Reinbacher and demidov/Lindstrom over michkov and one of the D this year which nonone can conclude is better than the rest

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Yet easily half the cups in the last 20 years or so went to teams with average+ defense. Pens and Caps ever had great defense. TB defense was good but the depth was not great and i'd easily argue their most important player is a tie between Kucherov and Hedman.

Who is most important depend on your team composition. If you chose to add Pietrangelo instead of Panarin or Kaprisov to our 2021 lineup then imo you're doin
That's a bad hypothetical. Here's a better one. If you removed both weber and Suzuki off that team, inserting which player would make a bigger impact, Pietrangelo or panarin

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Statistically he's a 30 pt player, there are quite a few of those in the NHL.
Newhook is a 50 pt player at worst. Statistics tell nothing. He was never given a chance with Colorado and played with plugs most of his time with Montreal. In College he was every bit as good as his linemate Boldy.

Reactions: cphabs and Runner77

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Alex Pietrangelo is a defensive defenseman. Same with Shea Weber. Same with Ryan Suter. They just accumulate PP points to boost their totals. I'd gladly "waste" a top 5 pick on any of those players

But Habs are not elite D heavy. Guhle, Hutson and maybe mailloux. Everyone and their mother knew they would tank again this year. Let's say they somehow draft demidov/lindstrom. I'd rather Reinbacher and demidov/Lindstrom over michkov and one of the D this year which nonone can conclude is better than the rest
Definitely comes down to how you feel about the rebuild

Reactions: Runner77

Mudz

David >> Michkov
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal

:huh:. See the profil pic

The only question for me is whether Reinbacher was the BPA at the slot he was taken.

Yes. Next question

Reactions: cphabs

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
Yea, I'm pretty convinced you could have put any top defense prospect in the world on that Kloten team and they would've struggled to put up points.

Kloten completely imploded from last season to this season. Last year their point leader was a 2 way tie at 49 points, and Reinbacher was 2nd in points for defensemen. This season their point leader only had 29 points, Reinbacher took 1st for points by defensemen, and the defensemen that beat Reinbacher's point total last year went from 0.66 points per game to 0.19 points per game.

So it's no surprise we didn't see a progression in his production considering the state of the team. If he was playing in the O then I wouldn't be surprised if he was a PPG player.
Nothing wrong with him playing in Kloten, cause in Kloten he had big icetime, which he wouldn't had if he played for top tier teams in that league. It's how he was used in Kloten that was problematic and thank god he comes to AHL.

Mudz

David >> Michkov
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
I am not saying he doesn't engage physically but it's not to the degree of a Weber, Pietrangelo or Sutter even though I think he's just as smart as they were defensively relative to his age

Weber is next level.

"the kid went over the board, I don't know if you guys noticed that or not"

The kid in question is Luca Hishier, 6,2 191, 28 years old.

His mean streak is underrated

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad