Recalled/Assigned: David Reinbacher Assigned to the Laval Rocket

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
It's a HF Boards post, trust me it isn't that deep lol.

I'm just saying that from a PR perspective he handled it poorly. I remember a quote along the lines of "if he was left handed we may not have taken him", even if it's true that isn't really a smart statement to make publicly. He could've just said they thought he was the best player available at their pick and shot down the question like that.
His first response was bomb tho. Second question felt like he was just trying to dodge the BPA debate lol could have spoken about reinbacher with more faith but overall pretty good. Was probably feeling the pressure of not drafting michov lol

Reactions: Runner77

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
He didn't "essentially" do any such thing. Your use of the term "essentially" is a blatant tell that you are paraphrasing in order to conform to your narrative.

Mentioning the fact that the player plays a premium position does not automatically default the narrative to picking for need. That is a fallacious deduction which incorrectly and arbitrarily asserts that the position was the main attraction when the evidence clearly points to it being a factor that separates players that they similarly value.

Huhes and Gorton value players who they think will result in the greatest number of wins gained by acquiring them, thus is their BPA. You are following a narrow interpretation of BPA as the player who will score the most points.
Here’s a nice little montage….we can see why Habs drafted him as opposed to guessing

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
He didn't "essentially" do any such thing. Your use of the term "essentially" is a blatant tell that you are paraphrasing in order to conform to your narrative.

Mentioning the fact that the player plays a premium position does not automatically default the narrative to picking for need. That is a fallacious deduction which incorrectly and arbitrarily asserts that the position was the main attraction when the evidence clearly points to it being a factor that separates players that they similarly value.

Huhes and Gorton value players who they think will result in the greatest number of wins gained by acquiring them, thus is their BPA. You are following a narrow interpretation of BPA as the player who will score the most points.
Here’s a nice little montage….we can see why Habs drafted him as opposed to guessing

Yep. This year I want Eiserman. I know a lot of people disagree and for good reason.

But if we get Catton or Demidov or Lidstrom or whoever… I’ll be happy. We’re getting a good player no matter what. Just let them develop and see where it goes.

Maybe Michkov will be the better player. But it will be a lot less painful if RB is helping us win games regardless. We owe him that chance.

I guarantee you though that if Mich comes to the NHL and lights it up, we will never hear the end of it regardless of how RB is playing.
Unless our guy lights it up like McCavoy then nobody will care.

I say let the chips fall where they may and that’s that!

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I'm just saying that from a PR perspective he handled it poorly. I remember a quote along the lines of "if he was left handed we may not have taken him", even if it's true that isn't really a smart statement to make publicly.

He said he was dubious if Reinbacher would run a PP but that he is someone who would log big and important minutes. Who plays good defense and start the offense quickly.

He then talked about LHD vs RHD as being the tiebreaker assuming two equal player but that it was not in any way part of the deciding factor.

Did not say he would not take him if he was a LD.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
f*** sake guys, can't you all just appreciate Reinbacher for what he is instead of going full banana over something insignificant Hughes said?

Minutes-eating, reliable, tall, puck moving RDs are NOT easily available, isn't obvious why they picked him?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I just don't understand why you would draft a defensive defenceman at 5OA. /s

I forget who said that on here but hold your head in shame.... again.

Who is your favorite defensive defenseman who was drafted top 5?

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
Who is your favorite defensive defenseman who was drafted top 5?

I mean I was kidding so...

There's no GM who will retain employment that's gonna draft a defensive only D in the top 5, even the top 10, that's the joke with that take, it doesn't happen.

Obviously KH and the rest of the staff thought you'd be getting a defenceman that can play both ends of the ice, otherwise Reinbacher wouldn't be worthy of a top 5 pick. I'm absolutely positive that's what any GM and scouting staff is trying to achieve if you're spending that kind of draft capital on defence.

It took 3 periods for DR to show he's got some offensive instincts that some had already been saying he didn't have. I'm sure the scouting staff was sure he had those skills but posters were uninformed and impatient as usual. Nothing new under the sun.

Did you think he was gonna be a defensive defenceman at 5OA?

Reactions: mdk and jrom

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I mean I was kidding so...

There's no GM who will retain employment that's gonna draft a defensive only D in the top 5, even the top 10, that's the joke with that take, it doesn't happen.

Obviously KH and the rest of the staff thought you'd be getting a defenceman that can play both ends of the ice, otherwise Reinbacher wouldn't be worthy of a top 5 pick. I'm absolutely positive that's what any GM and scouting staff is trying to achieve if you're spending that kind of draft capital on defence.

It took 3 periods for DR to show he's got some offensive instincts that some had already been saying he didn't have. I'm sure the scouting staff was sure he had those skills but posters were uninformed and impatient as usual. Nothing new under the sun.

Did you think he was gonna be a defensive defenceman at 5OA?

The goal was nice. But just as Poehling 's first NHL game didn't mean he had offense at the NHL level, so too Reinbacher's first AHL game didn't guarantee he'll have offense at the NHL level.

But yes, they must have projected a certain level of offense. We remain waiting to see if there is any at the NHL level.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Can we differentiate defensive defenceman and shutdown defenseman. Imo Reinbacher is the latter. All this DD talk is pure nonsense. Also there is a difference between a DD who logs 20 min a night and can't handle anymore than than or else they become overwhelmed and a shutdown defenseman who takes on the toughest matchups and can log 24/5+ min a night

Reactions: Vachon23 and 26Mats

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
The goal was nice. But just as Poehling 's first NHL game didn't mean he had offense at the NHL level, so too Reinbacher's first AHL game didn't guarantee he'll have offense at the NHL level.

But yes, they must have projected a certain level of offense. We remain waiting to see if there is any at the NHL level.

Obviously he hasn't proven anything in the NHL yet he's been on the continent for 2 days. Maybe we can give him some time though before you go pigeonholing him into a defensive defenceman.

There's a better chance this kid is a 60 point a year NHL D than there is a chance he'll be a defense only D.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Obviously he hasn't proven anything in the NHL yet he's been on the continent for 2 days. Maybe we can give him some time though before you go pigeonholing him into a defensive defenceman.

There's a better chance this kid is a 60 point a year NHL D than there is a chance he'll be a defense only D.

I haven't pigeonholed him into anything.

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
I haven't pigeonholed him into anything.

No you're just asking who my favourite defensive defenceman at 5OA is. I guess that's not making a definitive statement and yet still casting aspersions.

Can't say I understand the point of this exchange though? You're saying wait and see when I was poking fun at people who never wait and see?

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Can we differentiate defensive defenceman and shutdown defenseman. Imo Reinbacher is the latter. All this DD talk is pure nonsense. Also there is a difference between a DD who logs 20 min a night and can't handle anymore than than or else they become overwhelmed and a shutdown defenseman who takes on the toughest matchups and can log 24/5+ min a night

He is not even a defensive defenseman
That would fit Savard.

Reinbacher is a PMD. His game is all about transition and supporting the attack.

And he is also very good defensively.

Reactions: Rozz and Goldthorpe

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

To me this reads otherwise.

It still does not say that it definitely would have mattered but the fact is that RD objectively is more valuable than LD and that universally factors into BPA. This has nothing to do with selecting Reinbacher on any level anyways as LD was the only position that we were absolutely stacked at. If they chose a player at any other position your argument could still be applied as we have a need everywhere other than LD and just because Reinbacher is a D does not automatically make him a need pick anymore than a forward or a goaltender would have been.

If Michkov was a C and not a W it would have changed his BPA rating as well yet if they selected him it would not be considered "drafting for need".
The only thing that should be taken from this comment is that LD was a position that they had devalued in their positional hierarchy due to it being such an organizational strength. I don't know how anyone makes the leap to "therefore drafting a RD was drafting for need". It is equally as unrelated as if they drafted a winger in Michkov.

The two most valuable assets in the NHL are big, skilled RHD's and RHC's and this directly factors into the BPA quotient that every team formulates. BPA should really be changed to BAA (Best Asset Available) because this is actually how NHL teams draft and encompasses criteria such as positional value, geopolitical factors, size etc. The term BPA is misleading to many fans and leaves their comparative baseline as a nebulous collection of vague interpretations that are viewed through a perceived team bias as opposed to a league wide value system.

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He is not even a defensive defenseman
That would fit Savard.

Reinbacher is a PMD. His game is all about transition and supporting the attack.

And he is also very good defensively.

I would argue that Savard is something of a hybrid PMD/DDas he has very good hands, high IQ and is a very good passer. As he has aged he has become less mobile but there are many players who don't fit into these predetermined archetypes. When I envision a true DD see the Joel Edmundsons and Brook Orpiks of the world.

I agree that people calling Reinbacher a DD are not capturing the essence of his game as it is all about transition and there is no reason to rule out the possibility of him being a valuable offensive contributor. I have never seen a big time offensive player (Josi comparisons) when watching him but I do think that he has the Slavin/Hanifin archetype that can produce 40+ points while playing a shutdown role against the leagues top players with his highest upside being Pietrangelo and 50 + points. I see a player who gets as many or more assists from killing plays and initiating odd man rushes with a great pass than a player who primarily creates in the offensive zone even though I believe that he will be competent in that area. If Hutson and Mailloux both develop as we hope then there likely will be little to no PP time available to Reinbacher so this could limit him to a 30 ish point dman but will not have any effect on his 5 vs 5 value.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad