Jul 12, 2006
Gallant
Torts
Tocchet
Babcock
Roy

The list will grow. There are options

Add Hartley.

NHL hirings are partly about personal relationships. Drury played for Torts and Hartley. Drury played with and won a cup with Roy.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Kris Knoblauch Is All About Teaching & Winning

Unrelated to the article but can't forget Drury was also with him on the bench for those few games so that could play into his decision. They did interview Zibanejad between periods one of those games and asked the differences of DQ and Knoblauch. Didn't say anything crazy just mentioned they're different personalities, I believe a few players brought that up. Nothing to dig too deep into but it could benefit the group with a different personality. Knoblauch is a dude whos coached some uber talented kids so I dont think he'd be in over his head with this group

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Your statement about no coach in history can make a player better at face offs is 100% inaccurate. Face offs and face off plays are some of the most often practiced plays at higher levels of hockey. There are so many shortcuts and “cheats” to improve faceoff skills that coaches bring in. The issue is, at the NHL level everyone knows these same cheats.

A more accurate statement is probably, “coaches can’t make their players dramatically improve.”

If you're saying they can make a player go from 46 to 47 %, maybe, but all coaching staffs practice face-offs, and no one ever seems to improve much, so how can any coaching staff be blamed for faceoff failures?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Maybe he made it all up.

It makes sense that fans at home drinking beer are more tuned in to the inner workings of the locker room.

Seriously two relatively important players who might have had issues with Quinn were dismissed in ADA and Lemieux. Who else? Gauthier, PDG...

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I don't know about all that. He went all out earlier this season saying it was ludicrous thinking that Quinn won't be here next year and before you know it the gm and president are fired. He's just sticking to his story and giving us his opinions. Don't really think we should put much stock into it.

And on your other post I should have said Quinn and Management. Gorton didn't give him much to work with in the tough department but Quinn couldn't get this team to form any kind of identity at all. We were cap strapped so I was fine giving the front office more time but Quinn proved he wasn't ready to coach in the NHL.

So Quinn could piece together an identity from an incomplete set provided by Gorton. It’s obviously an exaggeration but was he supposed to turn Panarin into pugilist? The Rangers season all but ended when the only physical force with talent in Trouba went down and Lindgren soon after that.

Reactions: egelband

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
So Quinn could piece together an identity from an incomplete set provided by Gorton. It’s obviously an exaggeration but was he supposed to turn Panarin into pugilist? The Rangers season all but ended when the only physical force with talent in Trouba went down and Lindgren soon after that.
I don’t care about fighting - when the games were most important the team rolled over and got absolutely killed without showing any resistance. Imo that’s on a coach.

Reactions: Off Sides and RGY

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Add Hartley.

NHL hirings are partly about personal relationships. Drury played for Torts and Hartley. Drury played with and won a cup with Roy.
Keep forgetting about him but you make a nice point here. I could be swayed on Hartley.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I don’t care about fighting - when the games were most important the team rolled over and got absolutely killed without showing any resistance. Imo that’s on a coach.

Youngest team in the league that lost whatever veteran leadership they had? Again I’m exaggerating to make a point but put a team of 17 year olds future greats in McDavids, Matthews, McKinnons and this team will be destroyed by a team like Islanders or Pens.

I’m so disgusted with JG and JD firings but if you had to start putting a blame on someone for this season (ignoring bad luck impact and only concentrating on the outcome that the people in charge were fully aware due to the shortcomings to be fixed after the season) it would be these two before Quinn.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Youngest team in the league that lost whatever veteran leadership they had? Again I’m exaggerating to make a point but put a team of 17 year olds future greats in McDavids, Matthews, McKinnons and this team will be destroyed by a team like Islanders or Pens.

I’m so disgusted with JG and JD firings but if you had to start putting a blame on someone for this season (ignoring bad luck impact and only concentrating on the outcome that the people in charge were fully aware due to the shortcomings to be fixed after the season) it would be these two before Quinn.
Being beaten isn’t the issue it’s being totally steamrolled with zero resistance. They beat these same teams earlier, they just couldn’t be motivated to care when it counted most.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Really nervous about this because the players probably like him, he seems like a player coach and nice guy.
The inmates are definitely running this asylum. You know why the PP1 plays two minutes? It’s because Quinn doesn’t have the balls to tell Panarin or Zib any different. I can definitely see him getting good reviews from the vets and I can also see the kids being a bit worried about being honest. Hopefully KK goes hard. :popcorn:

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
I just want ppl to finish their checks. That would be step one. Barron came up here and he had no problem doing just that so why couldn't Quinn get his guys to do the same. They run the same system right?

Reactions: haveandare

Scott r

Feb 10, 2021
If you're saying they can make a player go from 46 to 47 %, maybe, but all coaching staffs practice face-offs, and no one ever seems to improve much, so how can any coaching staff be blamed for faceoff failures?
Bingo

Scott r

Feb 10, 2021
I just want ppl to finish their checks. That would be step one. Barron came up here and he had no problem doing just that so why couldn't Quinn get his guys to do the same. They run the same system right?
Why does a coach need to tell sm1 to finish checks...its common sense. These r not 6 year old kids

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Mayyyybe cause Barron is this type of player???

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Not fired yet, maybe they are keeping him.

they are waiting until after the exit interviews which could potentially used for the dual purpose of deciding 1)what to do with the coaching staff and 2)what players to try to move cause they aren't part of the solution...
\

Reactions: CLW

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Maybe or maybe not. Hopefully it's maybe not or else we got more issues that I thought with our roster and the JD/JG firings were justified.

Justified? Is the rebuild completed? Were the Rangers going for Stanley Cup this year? I feel like we went around the full circle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad