David Perron

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
where do you think he'll go? He's a rookie in the q and is leading Lewiston in scoring. He's got a ton of skill and slick moves but is a year older than all the other draft eligibles. I heard he may go in the 2nd round. Is that accurate at all? I've seen him a few times and think he has a lot of interesting potential.

Louis Houde

Jan 28, 2006
Trois-rivières
You have to consider he is one of the oldest prospect of 2007 draft.

David Perron is a strange guy , he was very arrogant and a little bit too competitive at 13 years old. He had a bad time making friends in his own team. Back then, he played with the conviction he had Wayne Gretzky talent and he never wanted any comments/advices on how to play hockey. When he got drafted very late in the Q, he soon realized he had to change his behaviors and be more gentle with people. I heard recently he's now very kind and no more aggresive and arrogant with people. On skills side , he is very talented, he does things that hockey players rarely tries at this age. On the power play, he's able to control the momentum with his skills and set very hard plays for his teammates. He's able to succed under pressure and he's very creative with the puck.

His shots lack power tho and his skating technique is not very effective to say the least. He's soft along the boards and hate to play 'simple hockey', prefer less effective but flashy hockey.

I do not think this is the kind of prospect the habs need with carbonneau gamestyle, however, he might be one of the sleeper of the draft.

He could go between 30th and 60th

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
A late 2nd round pick to the 4th round. Havent seen much Maineiacs games this year but he has skill no question but i heard his skating needs some work. Will see him on Saturday Night.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Im not a big fan of his, but I understand why a lot of people like him. He has a lot of flash to his game.

Im not saying hes a bad player or anything but I dont see him as a top 60 pick. Would it shock me if he went top 60? Not really...but I dont think he is that great. I personally think he is overrated. There are too many question marks for a player his age to be picked in the top 60.

brightscout

Jan 24, 2007
Maybe it will shock some people here but I do think he has the best puck skills in this draft year on par with Patrick Kane.

Strenghts : awesome stickhandler(Kovalev-like), great playmaker, great vision, lot of poise with the puck, very elusive with the puck(almost untouchable), quick accurate shot, agile on his skates, understands the game very well.

Weaknesses : needs to add muscle mass(he's only 180), needs to get stronger on his skates, need to improve his skating(not a bad skater but he needs more jump.

If he keeps improving and dedicates himself in the weight room, I could see him play in the NHL. I can't imagine what he could do with 20 more pounds on his frame and a more powerful stride. IMO, he could turn one of the best player of this draft. His skillsset is something you can't teach.

I think he'll go from pick 20th to 35th.

where do you think he'll go? He's a rookie in the q and is leading Lewiston in scoring. He's got a ton of skill and slick moves but is a year older than all the other draft eligibles. I heard he may go in the 2nd round. Is that accurate at all? I've seen him a few times and think he has a lot of interesting potential.

Last edited:

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Personally, I'm not a fan. His puck skills are undeniable, but in my viewings of him, I think he was more of an individual player and unwilling or unable to work for the puck. Whoever previously mentioned his preference for the flashy play was right. Sometimes it seems he'd rather dipsy-doodle through three defenders than pass to the open man. Works great among junior level defensemen, but I don't think it'll be as effective against higher levels of competition.
He needs a lot of time to even begin to develop the other facets of the game and become a more well-rounded player before he gets a shot. He's a little bit older and a little raw (due to his later start in junior) compared to some of the other prospects, but his game does show some potential.
I'd be surprised if a team took a gamble on him anytime before the end of the second round as he's definitely a boom/bust type. Somebody would have to really like him to pick him much higher than that.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Well the last two or three years, there has been a player picked in the first round that was eligible but passed over the year before - 2006: Trevor Lewis; 2005 - Sasha Pokulok; 2004 - Travis Zajac (If he opted into 2003), etc.

So I wouldn't be surprised at all if there's on this year too.

Louis Houde

Jan 28, 2006
Trois-rivières
Well the last two or three years, there has been a player picked in the first round that was eligible but passed over the year before - 2006: Trevor Lewis; 2005 - Sasha Pokulok; 2004 - Travis Zajac (If he opted into 2003), etc.

So I wouldn't be surprised at all if there's on this year too.

David Perron wasnt eligible last year...

turnbuckle*

Small, weak, average skater, year older.

Great stickhandler, great hands.

Doesn't add up to a top 50 pick IMO.

What concerns me is he's weaker and is a poorer skater than many of the 1989's...so when is he supposed to catch up? He may gain some strength and improve his skating in the offseason...but so will the kids a year younger than him...in fact quite a few will probably getter stronger and improve their skating more.

I interviewed his coach last week. Clem admits that it will be important for Perron to have a strong playoff; if he does someone may take a chance on him in the top two rounds.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Small, weak, average skater, year older.

Great stickhandler, great hands.

Doesn't add up to a top 50 pick IMO.

What concerns me is he's weaker and is a poorer skater than many of the 1989's...so when is he supposed to catch up? He may gain some strength and improve his skating in the offseason...but so will the kids a year younger than him...in fact quite a few will probably getter stronger and improve their skating more.

I interviewed his coach last week. Clem admits that it will be important for Perron to have a strong playoff; if he does someone may take a chance on him in the top two rounds.

Well in terms of PURE skill I thought he was the most talented draft eligible player from the q and that even includes Espo. So I always wondered where he would weigh in against the rest. Surely he has his work cut out for him but considering he made the jump from junior AAA to QMJHL so seamlessy is impressive.

elvisisalive

Feb 20, 2007
I watched his two games this past weekend, and Samsonov has him pegged. As a scout you are drawn to his skill set, unlike what forbes stated, he made some Crosbyesque type passes, and he competed hard along the boards(didn't win too many battles, but he was game). His stick is a little short, costing him some torque on his shot, so while it is very accurate, there's not much zing to it. With a little room, he was able to beat his opponent one on one quite a few times. he's also a little dirty, after each whistle, he was constantly jabbing at opponents skates and the like, not enough to cause much problems, but he kept doing it over and over again. We have an early third round pick, and if he is still available, he's one of the players we are considering.

turnbuckle*

Well in terms of PURE skill I thought he was the most talented draft eligible player from the q and that even includes Espo. So I always wondered where he would weigh in against the rest. Surely he has his work cut out for him but considering he made the jump from junior AAA to QMJHL so seamlessy is impressive.

That's not saying much as the Q prospect crop isn't very strong; although I'd disagree that he's more skilled than Espo. Skating is a very big part of the skill package and Perron doesn't compare to Espo in that dep't, nor is he as good a passer. And he's definitely not more skilled than Voracek - that's not even debatable.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
As a scout you are drawn to his skill set, unlike what forbes stated, he made some Crosbyesque type passes, and he competed hard along the boards(didn't win too many battles, but he was game).

I saw him twice earlier in the season and that's where I'm drawing most of my analysis from. If he is playing a more team-orientated game and working a bit more, that can only improve his outlook.

But Crosbyesque passes? C'mon...

brightscout

Jan 24, 2007
That's what I've been saying all year long. Most skilled prospect from the Q. His skillsset is not far behing Kane and Gagner. He needs to be a more complete player but the potential is there. His skating is not that bad. His results at the CHL prospect game skills testing proves it. For example, he had better results then Voracek at the 60'Dash, 120'Dash and Puck Control and Voracek is a pretty good skater.

And like you said, how quick he made the transition from junior AAA to the Q is really something you don't see often. I would not be surprise at all to see him go in 1st round. Like I said previously, put 20 pounds on him and more strenght and I don't see why he could not play in the show. I am almost sure he won't go past pick #50.

Last edited:

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I watched his two games this past weekend, and Samsonov has him pegged. As a scout you are drawn to his skill set, unlike what forbes stated, he made some Crosbyesque type passes, and he competed hard along the boards(didn't win too many battles, but he was game). His stick is a little short, costing him some torque on his shot, so while it is very accurate, there's not much zing to it. With a little room, he was able to beat his opponent one on one quite a few times. he's also a little dirty, after each whistle, he was constantly jabbing at opponents skates and the like, not enough to cause much problems, but he kept doing it over and over again. We have an early third round pick, and if he is still available, he's one of the players we are considering.

who is we??? if you are not a scout for an NHL team how can you know wich players you team is considering???:biglaugh:

elvisisalive

Feb 20, 2007
He made a blind pass from the corner, through 2 players, on the tape for a one timer, another time while on the rush faked a sideways pass only to pass it through the D in front of him for a 1 timer game winning goal. I never saw either pass coming as each play developed and it made me say "wow", so yes it was Crosbyesque. I'm not saying he's able to do that on a regular basis, Espo still has a higher skill set, and wheels for instance, but it still was a very impressive display. Also, I am a maritime based scout working part time for an NHL and a Q team.

brightscout

Jan 24, 2007
Playmaking : Perron > Esposito
Scoring ability : Perron > Esposito
Skating : Perron < Esposito
Puck control : Perron > Esposito
Vision : Perron > Esposito
Size : Perron < Esposito *Both players are 180lbs but Esposito is about 2 inches taller.*
Shooting : Perron > Esposito

Last edited:

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
He made a blind pass from the corner, through 2 players, on the tape for a one timer, another time while on the rush faked a sideways pass only to pass it through the D in front of him for a 1 timer game winning goal. I never saw either pass coming as each play developed and it made me say "wow", so yes it was Crosbyesque. I'm not saying he's able to do that on a regular basis, Espo still has a higher skill set, and wheels for instance, but it still was a very impressive display. Also, I am a maritime based scout working part time for an NHL and a Q team.

ok. you should have said so right away.

what teams do you scout for???

and how the hell where you able to et a job as a scout. i wanna scout to:cry:

elvisisalive

Feb 20, 2007
I'm not at liberty to say which team, but it took a lot of doggedness on my part, and refusing to take no for an answer to get my foot in the door. As far as brightscout goes, I disagree on scoring ability and shooting, at the NHL level, Espo's shot will be much more effective than Perrons, and their vision and playmaking are very close, I'm sure different scouts will will have varying opinions on those attributes. The biggest difference going forward is that Espo does these things at full speed, Perron does not, and that's the difference between a first rounder and a 3rd rounder.

brightscout

Jan 24, 2007
While I agree Esposito is doing all his moves at full speed, it seems like all the endless rushes never finish in a scoring opportunity. Perron is doing his things at a lower speed but his move always create scoring opportunities. Sam Gagner is not doing his things at full speed and he will be top 10 pick. Perron has first round skills in my mind, maybe some are just trying to hide it.

Your comment make sense though but I don't buy it.

I'm not at liberty to say which team, but it took a lot of doggedness on my part, and refusing to take no for an answer to get my foot in the door. As far as brightscout goes, I disagree on scoring ability and shooting, at the NHL level, Espo's shot will be much more effective than Perrons, and their vision and playmaking are very close, I'm sure different scouts will will have varying opinions on those attributes. The biggest difference going forward is that Espo does these things at full speed, Perron does not, and that's the difference between a first rounder and a 3rd rounder.

elvisisalive

Feb 20, 2007
Don't forget Espo is playing with rookies and third liners, he doesn't have alot to work with teamates wise, I can't comment too much on Gagners play, as I haven't seen him live, but if what you say is true, I'm not sure how well his game translates in the NHL. There's not too many players getting top points who don't make plays at top speed, (Crosby, Ovechkin), maybe Thornton, maybe there's a place for Adam Oates type players, but speed kills, and I would choose the speedster with hands over a slower player with similar skills.

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto
Don't forget Espo is playing with rookies and third liners, he doesn't have alot to work with teamates wise, I can't comment too much on Gagners play, as I haven't seen him live, but if what you say is true, I'm not sure how well his game translates in the NHL. There's not too many players getting top points who don't make plays at top speed, (Crosby, Ovechkin), maybe Thornton, maybe there's a place for Adam Oates type players, but speed kills, and I would choose the speedster with hands over a slower player with similar skills.

Well David played on the third line and for the majority of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad