David Perron

elvisisalive

Feb 20, 2007
That's news to me, by looking at the team stats, if he was playing third line, who the heck were considered top 2 line players? Do you have the minutes played numbers to back that up? Whenever I've watched him, it's only been 4 times, but he has played first line minutes, including power play time sometimes almost the whole two minutes.

elvisisalive

Feb 20, 2007
This past weekend he played forward on the powerplay, patrolling the left side near the hashmarks,I would guess that he played near 20 minutes, took very few faceoffs either game. Is that unusual ?

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto
He is now on the 1st line with Cliche and playing wing on the PP, after playing 3rd line and point on the PP for most of the season

brightscout

Jan 24, 2007
His style reminds me players like Datsyuk, Savard, Huselius, Bergeron and even Kovalev a little bit but he has not the size and power of Kovalev but plays with more grit then him...

Don't forget Espo is playing with rookies and third liners, he doesn't have alot to work with teamates wise, I can't comment too much on Gagners play, as I haven't seen him live, but if what you say is true, I'm not sure how well his game translates in the NHL. There's not too many players getting top points who don't make plays at top speed, (Crosby, Ovechkin), maybe Thornton, maybe there's a place for Adam Oates type players, but speed kills, and I would choose the speedster with hands over a slower player with similar skills.

brightscout

Jan 24, 2007
I was there at the game yesterday. David showed lot of a caracter as many of the Shawinigan's players were on his back all night long trying to get him out of his game.

The kid has improved all year long and he impresses me more and more game after game.

Got the playoffs started with a first star, hat trick performance tonight.

Maineiac11

Apr 9, 2007
Lewiston, ME
As a season ticket holder of the Lewiston Maineiacs I have certainly seen my share of David Perron. He immediately caught everyone's eye at the beggining of the year when he single-handedly killed off a 5 on 3 penalty by playing keep away from the other team for what seemed like an eternity.

Since then he has only improved with every game in every aspect of his play.

At first I highly doubted his 1st, 2nd or even third round potential, but now I can see him as a late first-round wildcard. He would be a chance i'd be willing to take with the large drop-off in talent after the 10th pick or so. I'm sure he won't go between 10th and 20th overall but a long playoff run could do wonders toward getting him into the first round.

Here's some of my thoughts on Perron that would lead me to take him in the first round....

-Perron is amazing with the puck and has great hockey instincts. Something that truely has to be seen to believe. He may not dazzle with fancy moves every night, but is consistantly making plays that lead to scoring chances.

-He needs to put on some more weight, but thats nothing that can't happen in the next couple years.

-He used to get pushed around physically at the beginning of the year, but seems to be holding his own alot more lately. He goes into the corners with a new type of confidence and is winning alot more of the small physical battles that he used to lose.

-I occasionally would be worried with his lack of heart, (not backchecking consistantly, getting frustrated etc..) but in the past couple months he has improved greatly there too. I think some of it needs to be credited to captian leadership of Simon Courcelles and Marc Andre Cliche who are great leaders.

-He has been playing at a high level of hockey for a very short amount of time, and continues to improve.. He spent 1 year in Midget AAA and has transitioned to the CHL smoothly. Who's to say where his potential can take him.

------------------------------

If I were a team in the 20th-30th pick range I would definately take a chance on Perron. I don't think he has come near to his potential, and with the right direction he could be a solid NHL candidate.

Check him out for yourself in Lewiston Maine... Maineiacs on a 16 game win streak right now with the help of Perron.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad