News Article: David Pelletier hired as skating coach

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Oilers Hire Pelletier as Skating Coach

Don't see it posted.

"The Edmonton Oilers announced today, they have added former Olympic champion David Pelletier to the Oilers development team as the club’s Skating Coach. Pelletier will work closely with Player Development Director Rick Carriere and Skills Coach Steve Serdachny.

Pelletier, 39, is a three-time Canadian Champion, World Champion, Grand-Prix Final Champion and Olympic Gold Medallist. His 2002 Olympic Gold medal marked Canada’s first Olympic Gold in pairs figure skating in 42 years.

The Sayabec, Quebec native has also been inducted into the Skate Canada Hall of Fame, the Canadian Olympic Hall of Fame, the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame and is a recipient of the Lou Marsh Trophy, awarded to outstanding Canadian athletes.

Since retiring from professional figure skating, Pelletier has worked as a power skating coach with several professional and junior athletes as well as members of the Canadian National Women’s team."

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=730754

Edit: of course it's posted right before I get the chance to hit post :laugh:

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Smart hire.

Pelletier should be able to help most, if not all, of the Oilers in an area some guys need a ton of help in.

Comic Book Guy*

What happened to Ms. Davis who helped Eberle become a better skater? I thought she was the Oilers go-to person.

I'm unsure about Pelletier being the skating coach. I can see him help them with balance and footwork. However, some of our guys need a power skating coach. Why not hire Jeremy Wotherspoon instead?

Comic Book Guy*

I see this paying huge dividends for guys like Draisaitl, Yakimov, Khaira etc. figure skaters have phenomenal edge control and Pelletier was one of the best.

I disagree. I think they should have hired a powerskating coach that used to be a speed skater. Our guys need help with their stride, acceleration and top speed more than they need help with edge-work and balance.

Pelletier may have been a very agile and controlled skater, but he sure was not a speed skater.

DarksideGhost

Apr 9, 2014
Edmonton
I wonder who's having a skating problem on the Oilers! for them to hire this guy :help:

ilbe4duptgal9mtoweri.jpg

*Leon!!*:sarcasm:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I disagree. I think they should have hired a powerskating coach that used to be a speed skater. Our guys need help with their stride and top speed more than they need help with edge-work and balance.

Not necessarily true. Draisaitl, Yakimov, Khaira skating lacks acceleration. Their top speed is fine. They definitely need works on their edges and balance.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Couldn't they have hired a power skating coach who is used to teaching hockey players on a daily basis instead of a figure skater? Lol

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Celebrations are going to be sick. Hall and Ebs will have a great routine going by mid season

In seriousness. Figure skaters have outstanding edge work. Someone link the skinner skating vids. He did figure skating and his skating is elite.

They already have Serdachny (sp) for power skating

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I disagree. I think they should have hired a powerskating coach that used to be a speed skater. Our guys need help with their stride, acceleration and top speed more than they need help with edge-work and balance.

Pelletier may have been a very agile and controlled skater, but he sure was not a speed skater.

I dunno seems to me like our guys get knocked off the puck very easily and have problems with balance. Even Taylor Hall still has issues with that even though he can skate like a tornado in a straight line.

Edge work and balance has a lot to do with speed too.

My guess these being pro hockey players they've all taken the standard power skating courses/drills since they were 12/13 years old anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad