News Article: David Pastrnak taking in life as a pro

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Yeah, I don't really think the problem is the turnovers, the problem is the one point in three games.

There is no point in taking this kid if we don't think he can score at least 35 points. Otherwise we could pretty much replace his production with someone from the waiver wire.

The real test is yet to come. He should get 5 exhibition games. He needs to produce something, otherwise we are better off sending him back to Sweden.

I wouldn't draw too many conclusions off a 3 game stat line. According to the scouts there, he was a constant threat, the buzz of the tournament. You can be the most dangerous offensive player on the ice, generate numerous scoring chances, and still get shut out of the score sheet.

Fwiw, I'm not disagreeing with your premise that he needs to contribute to the offense if he's going to stay, but I think he will. (His offensive game is what I'm least concerned about.) My concerns are more along the lines of; his ability to restrain himself at times and stick to the system instead of hunt pucks like a dog after raw meat, and like Dan said, will he be safe out there playing a fearless style at 170lbs.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I'd love to see a Spooner-Soderberg-Pastrnak line. The speed on that line would be absolutely incredible, let alone the skill. Spooner and Pastrnak are both unproven, but they'd be on a 3rd line that's really a secondary scoring line. Would be too much of a defensive liability for Claude, IMO, you'd probably see Kelly on the LW. Even though I'd kill to see Pastrnak on the first line, especially with the way Lucic and Seguin's speed matched years ago, I don't think he should this year. I like how they're not ruling it out, though. We have an opening for the first line RW, let them fight over it.

I think Julien would have an issue with the lack of size and board work if they had that third line, even moreso than their defensive ability. I think he'd even be reluctant to go with Spooner-Soder-Eriksson for that same reason.

Quick question. There's no way he was over 5'10 when we drafted him and now he's being reported as 6'+. How accurate is this?

I've heard 5'11-6 since he's been drafted.

Pretty sure he's 5'11.

At the combine, Pastrnak's official measurement was 6'0.0" and 167 lbs.
I think the B's said he gained a bit and was up to 170 at their development camp weigh in.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I think Julien would have an issue with the lack of size and board work if they had that third line, even moreso than their defensive ability. I think he'd even be reluctant to go with Spooner-Soder-Eriksson for that same reason.

At the combine, Pastrnak's official measurement was 6'0.0" and 167 lbs.
I think the B's said he gained a bit and was up to 170 at their development camp weigh in.

They should just introduce Pasternak to Kessel. He will be up to 200 lbs. by the start of camp.

mmmmmmm doughnuts

FONZIE

AYYYYYY!!!!
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Moved to Wisconsin
I wouldn't draw too many conclusions off a 3 game stat line. According to the scouts there, he was a constant threat, the buzz of the tournament. You can be the most dangerous offensive player on the ice, generate numerous scoring chances, and still get shut out of the score sheet.

Fwiw, I'm not disagreeing with your premise that he needs to contribute to the offense if he's going to stay, but I think he will. (His offensive game is what I'm least concerned about.) My concerns are more along the lines of; his ability to restrain himself at times and stick to the system instead of hunt pucks like a dog after raw meat, and like Dan said, will he be safe out there playing a fearless style at 170lbs.

I'm worried about his playing style. Is he still reaching for pucks and crossing over mid-ice? I'm worried his nickname will be "Pasted" and hurt his career with numerous concussions...:help:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'm worried about his playing style. Is he still reaching for pucks and crossing over mid-ice? I'm worried his nickname will be "Pasted" and hurt his career with numerous concussions...:help:

think of Behind the B the other night. I thought it was symbolic that you see Kevan Miller and Dennis Seidenberg look like elite Navy Seals, the imposing Chara on the ice- and then Pastrnak wearing pink boxing gloves looking like a freshman in high school goofing off on one those Friday night team pasta parties.

put me down for him being a heck of a NHL player but I am not sure how he would do with Johnny Boychuk and the other three Bruins defenseman I just mentioned looking to light him up like a Christmas Tree if they got the chance.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
think of Behind the B the other night. I thought it was symbolic that you see Kevan Miller and Dennis Seidenberg look like elite Navy Seals, the imposing Chara on the ice- and then Pastrnak wearing pink boxing gloves looking like a freshman in high school goofing off on one those Friday night team pasta parties.

put me down for him being a heck of a NHL player but I am not sure how he would do with Johnny Boychuk and the other three Bruins defenseman I just mentioned looking to light him up like a Christmas Tree if they got the chance.

Especially with a season ending concussion in the bag already.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Confirmed with link: Pasta It Is

It'll be "Pasty" by November.

PRONUNCIATION UPDATE:

Considering how often we’€™re all going to be saying his name in the coming days, we might as well say it right. After double-checking with the player, it is not “PASS-ter-nak,†as we’€™ve all been saying, but rather “POS-ter-nahk.â€

Much like Brad Marchand (it’€™s “SHAND,†not “SHONDâ€) Pastrnak said he doesn’€™t mind if people get his name wrong. He did say that nobody gets it wrong here like they do in Sweden, where he plays for Sodertalje SK and where he’€™ll return if he doesn’€™t make the Bruins. There, they call him POL-ster-nahk.

“I don’€™t know where they got the L from,†he said plainly with a shrug.

Pastrnak said his nickname is Pasta. Given the weight concern, it wouldn’t hurt him to follow the you-are-what-you-eat diet.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
He did say that nobody gets it wrong here like they do in Sweden, where he plays for Sodertalje SK and where he’€™ll return if he doesn’€™t make the Bruins. There, they call him POL-ster-nahk.

I highly doubt this is true. Just saying Pastrnak with a Swedish accent is much closer to the Czech pronunciation than the Americanised "PASS-ter-nak". He's probably adopted the pronunciation that comes naturally to Americans as the "real" one when talking to them (as is natural, you see guys like Landeskog correcting Americans who are actually pronouncing it closer to the Swedish pronunciation).

As for how Swedes pronounce his name, they're probably messing with him*, as palsternacka means parsnip (because hockey nicknames have to be food-related) in Swedish, and is the first thing most people think of when hearing Boris Pasternak or David Pastrnak. A quick wiki search later and I now know that "[regular] Pasternak" is the Russian word for parsnips as well (so not just a big coincidence). In Czech, it's Pastinák (which is closer to the Latin name for it).

(*That, or people in Södertälje are stupid :laugh:)

Randomtask68

Jul 19, 2010
Burlington, MA
Sorry if this has been asked (which I'm sure it has) but Pastrnak is eligible to play in Providence right now since he didn't play in the CHL correct? And is this an option the team is exploring or is he a lock to return to Sweden if he doesn't stay in Boston?

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
The Belleville Bulls of the OHL took him in the CHL Import Draft this summer.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Sorry if this has been asked (which I'm sure it has) but Pastrnak is eligible to play in Providence right now since he didn't play in the CHL correct? And is this an option the team is exploring or is he a lock to return to Sweden if he doesn't stay in Boston?

It is an option since he's not a junior player, yes, but the Bruins have said he'll return to Sweden if he doesn't make the Bruins. Of course, they could change their minds.

Addendum: The 9-game tryout has nothing to do with whether he plays junior or not (he won't).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad