News Article: David Pastrnak taking in life as a pro

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
I would put Muzzin and Josi right up there with Seidenberg. Both have developed into serious studs and excellent support for their #1 D men. Josi's playing 26 minutes a night, I think it's safe to say he's been a solid #2 for them, and Muzzin was absolutely fantastic in the playoffs.

Muzzin and Voynov forced their way up into the line up, especially Voynov who's play in 2012 was so good the team was comfortable trading Jack Johnson to make room for him. I don't know if that's a similar situation to what this would be, as I don't believe Bartkowski has done enough to warrant that..nor do I think he has the overall potential to warrant it either.

I definitely remember pulling my hair out over bad pinches and missed open ice hits from Boychuk and am seriously impressed with the way he learned the NHL game...but I don't know if Bartkowski has the ability to do that. Would love to be wrong, he's got some tools, but I just don't think it's there....and if it was, I think it would be a few years down the road, not this upcoming season.

Chara will be 38 in March of this year. I'd rather take the risk of question marks trying to fill a 12-14 minute a night third line forward spot than a 21-22 minute a night top 4 defender.

Muzzin is good, but he isn't even in the same galaxy as Josi and Seidenberg at this point.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Chris Bourque was also a bit old to be exactly called a prospect.

Right-But the point remains that one role does not fit all. Put the player,especially the young player, in a position to succeed.

member 96824

Muzzin is good, but he isn't even in the same galaxy as Josi and Seidenberg at this point.

If his play for this season equals his play in the last playoffs, he very well could be.

Of course, I'm not factoring in that it is LA during the regular season:laugh:

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

Technically he was just named to the all tournament team, but the article says he was "arguably" the best player in camp. I wasn't there or anything, but it's hard to see how a stat line of 1-0-1 in 3gp for a forward that by all accounts made a fair share of defensive blunders could earn him the title of best player in the tournament.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Technically he was just named to the all tournament team, but the article says he was "arguably" the best player in camp. I wasn't there or anything, but it's hard to see how a stat line of 1-0-1 in 3gp for a forward that by all accounts made a fair share of defensive blunders could earn him the title of best player in the tournament.

I heard he was responsible for one bad giveaway followed by a hooking call... but that happened just a few minutes after he apparently made a dazzling play to score.

Either way, the good people of Nashville seemed to think he looked great. I am not too concerned about him making high risk plays at this point. This is what concerns me: From DJ BEAN - "At times, Pastrnak has looked too light for this tournament. Size by far the biggest thing standing between him and NHL this season IMO."

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
F – David Pastrnak (Boston) – arguably the best player on the ice for any of the four teams

Amazing. That includes Forsberg, Fiala, Drouin, etc.

Pastrnak will have a better career than Drouin:laugh:

member 96824

Pastrnak will have a better career than Drouin:laugh:

I'd be thrilled if that was the case.

Drouin's the cream of the crop right now as far as prospects outside the NHL. He's going to be a treat to watch feeding the puck to #91.

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
Stu Grimson
‏@asgrimson #Preds Rookie Tourn. results voted by scouts/officials: Forsberg,NSH (MVP); Trocheck,FLA; Pastrnak,BOS; Ekblad,FLA; Casto,BOS; Brittain,FLA

Pastrnak and Fiala were all the talk at the tourney (surprised Fiala didn't make the all tourney team). You guys got a good one...he's been a force out there these past 4 days.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

it's not always about stats.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

Every report I saw said he was electrifying. As Joker said, it's not all about stats.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Every report I saw said he was electrifying. As Joker said, it's not all about stats.

Agreed. The scouts in attendance were polled separately and had similar things to say. Said he was the talk of the tournament.

The kid is very much a two-way player. Just because he made mistakes on D doesn't mean he didn't also make plays on D. Everybody makes mistakes. Not everybody with his kind of skill has the will to do the hard defensive things, or the drive to compete for pucks. The fact that he does is what separates him (for me anyway) from other high-end, high-skill guys.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Agreed. The scouts in attendance were polled separately and had similar things to say. Said he was the talk of the tournament.

The kid is very much a two-way player. Just because he made mistakes on D doesn't mean he didn't also make plays on D. Everybody makes mistakes. Not everybody with his kind of skill has the will to do the hard defensive things, or the drive to compete for pucks. The fact that he does is what separates him (for me anyway) from other high-end, high-skill guys.

to me its just is he physically mature- how will he be playing so many games against guys like Seidenberg, Chara, Boychuk types who will have a game plan of playing him heavy. He's going to be a good one, but 25th pick, 170 lbs, 18 years old. Cant wait to see how he does

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
to me its just is he physically mature- how will he be playing so many games against guys like Seidenberg, Chara, Boychuk types who will have a game plan of playing him heavy. He's going to be a good one, but 25th pick, 170 lbs, 18 years old. Cant wait to see how he does

Yeah, fair question for sure. But there are guys that size playing in the league. Nugent-Hopkins was a 170lb, 18 year-old rookie who had a strong first season. For more experience examples; Jared Spurgeon is a top4 D who's 168, Rinaldo is one of the most active hitters in the league and he's 170, Claude Giroux is 172, Ennis, Desharnais, etc...

Again, it's a fair question and it will be THE question of this year's training camp. All I'm saying is there's a will-to-compete factor that can compensate for physical limitations. It should be fun to watch and see how this unfolds. My money's on the kid.

EDIT: You know, the other part of that (playing against big, heavy types who want to lean on him) that's worth considering, is throwing something different at teams. You don't always have to meet size with size. MTL has shown us for years that sometimes speed and quickness can trump size and strength. The Bruins have stated repeatedly that they'd like to add more of the former to their lineup this year. So while a guy like Seidenberg could lean on and pin a Pastrnak in the corner, where maybe he couldn't do that to Iginla, there's the other side of that coin where Pastrnak is able to push the D back with his speed or flat out beat D off the rush by blowing past them wide, where Iginla would have been turned away or forced to lay it down the wall only to watch Subban get to it first and skate it out.

Last edited:

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Yeah, fair question for sure. But there are guys that size playing in the league. Nugent-Hopkins was a 170lb, 18 year-old rookie who had a strong first season. For more experience examples; Jared Spurgeon is a top4 D who's 168, Rinaldo is one of the most active hitters in the league and he's 170, Claude Giroux is 172, Ennis, Desharnais, etc...

Again, it's a fair question and it will be THE question of this year's training camp. All I'm saying is there's a will-to-compete factor that can compensate for physical limitations. It should be fun to watch and see how this unfolds. My money's on the kid.

EDIT: You know, the other part of that (playing against big, heavy types who want to lean on him) that's worth considering, is throwing something different at teams. You don't always have to meet size with size. MTL has shown us for years that sometimes speed and quickness can trump size and strength. The Bruins have stated repeatedly that they'd like to add more of the former to their lineup this year. So while a guy like Seidenberg could lean on and pin a Pastrnak in the corner, where maybe he couldn't do that to Iginla, there's the other side of that coin where Pastrnak is able to push the D back with his speed or flat out beat D off the rush by blowing past them wide, where Iginla would have been turned away or forced to lay it down the wall only to watch Subban get to it first and skate it out.

I like Pastrnak, there definitely is a good chance he makes the team. Another thing he has going for him: he's a natural, skilled gamestyle RW, who's, guess what, RIGHT HANDED! None of our other skilled prospects are that. Spooner, KoKo, both left handed, both mainly play C. I was hoping Knight would be able to be a really solid 3rd line RW for us by now, but it looks like that dream is either far away or just a dream...

I'd love to see a Spooner-Soderberg-Pastrnak line. The speed on that line would be absolutely incredible, let alone the skill. Spooner and Pastrnak are both unproven, but they'd be on a 3rd line that's really a secondary scoring line. Would be too much of a defensive liability for Claude, IMO, you'd probably see Kelly on the LW. Even though I'd kill to see Pastrnak on the first line, especially with the way Lucic and Seguin's speed matched years ago, I don't think he should this year. I like how they're not ruling it out, though. We have an opening for the first line RW, let them fight over it.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

Yeah, I don't really think the problem is the turnovers, the problem is the one point in three games.

There is no point in taking this kid if we don't think he can score at least 35 points. Otherwise we could pretty much replace his production with someone from the waiver wire.

The real test is yet to come. He should get 5 exhibition games. He needs to produce something, otherwise we are better off sending him back to Sweden.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

exactly

Clearly the kid has skills and can fly, all about him being able to handle the men`s game in a kid`s body, we shall see

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yeah, I don't really think the problem is the turnovers, the problem is the one point in three games.

There is no point in taking this kid if we don't think he can score at least 35 points. Otherwise we could pretty much replace his production with someone from the waiver wire.

The real test is yet to come. He should get 5 exhibition games. He needs to produce something, otherwise we are better off sending him back to Sweden.

The waiver wire?? Hmm, not so sure of that

While I agree that he`ll need to impress, with this coaching staff, it isn`t solely about pts, no doubt if he made the team, it wouldn`t be due to his ability to shut down opponents but I think the coaching staff would be more focused on whether or not the kid would be able to withstand the grind of a long season playing against men rather than how often he lights the lamp in pre-season

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Pastrnak takes another step on climb to NHL
ANTIOCH, Tenn. — David Pastrnak has a good sense of where he stands at the moment. Having finished up the rookie tournament — yet another step as he attempts to make the Bruins out of camp — Pastrnak said, “I feel I’m [on the] second floor and NHL is [on] fifth. So I have three more floors.â€

Mostly, he played well, well enough that at the Bruins golf tournament coach Claude Julien said, “There’s a reason to be excited about the future of the player.â€

But is it the future? Or the present?

General manager Peter Chiarelli hinted at the possibility that Pastrnak will start camp on David Krejci’s right wing, a potentially momentous thing for a player who has idolized the Bruins center. As Pastrnak said of the possibility, “It would be great if it came true . . . It’s going to be really weird in the beginning, but I’m sure David is going to help me.â€

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...p-climb-nhl/ZHQSJ7eVeigYmDm9JitlaI/story.html

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad