Player Discussion David Pastrnak IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Neely was scoring 50 in 50 while being a terrifying physical force to play against.

Pasta will never be physical.. if he develops hossa defensive responibility or strings together a 500 goal career we might start arguing he's as good as Neely

For now let's be happy appreciating what we got. He is toying with 40 goal pace... plugging along close to a point per game... and he should only get better

A he'll of a pick... developed by claude... Its good

But on the flip side I see our fans turn on our kids. If pastrnak slumps in the next couple years I fear how this could go south. Let's hope he keeps scoring for everyone's sake and hope his contract is fair to everyone too

He creates offense out of nothing. All out hustle, skill, and creativity. What is there not to like about the guy?

Imagine if Senyshin reaches his own potential? He's about to turn 20. What a speed challenge that would be for opposing left dmen for the next 10 years.

blue

Aug 14, 2005
Montreal
Is there a better player from the 2014 draft? If there was a do over, Pastrnak would go #1 overall.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
He would go behind Ekblad, and probably Draisaitl. But that is it, He's #3 imo.

blue

Aug 14, 2005
Montreal
He would go behind Ekblad, and probably Draisaitl. But that is it, He's #3 imo.

Certainly debatable, but if Pastrnak continues to produce and dominate at his current pace you will be able to remove that debatable tag.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
After most games I have to stop myself from coming in here and saying 'I love him'. But today is not one of those days. I love everything about his game. Pure joyous hockey personified!

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
David Pastrnak always plays with exuberance. But the 20-year-old’s vibrance becomes enhanced when the puck is on his stick and one defender stands between him and the net.

“I love it. I love one-on-one,†said Pastrnak, who noted Sidney Crosby and John Tavares among the best in the business. “Ever since I was a kid, I love it. I played a lot of one-on-one when I was a kid against other kids. I love one-on-one. That was my favorite drill.â€

“I think he’s a threat to blow right by you or dangle you, for lack of a better term,†said coach Bruce Cassidy. “That’s the tough matchup. Some guys you know have got great speed, but they’re not going to try [dangling]. That’s what they’re going to use. Whereas he’s kind of a two-pronged attack guy. That’s why as a defender, you just don’t know what’s coming. Other guys have nifty hands, but they can’t accelerate. He can do both.â€

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...-situations/GHuQ8hF76zdaIu3SgcQPqN/story.html

Wentworth9W

Dec 13, 2016
Certainly debatable, but if Pastrnak continues to produce and dominate at his current pace you will be able to remove that debatable tag.

Pasta has been unbelievable, and is probably one of the best picks the Bruins have had in the past decade or more. With that said, the other two names mentioned have also been great. Ekblad has turned into a #1 D-Man, and will only get better, and Draisaitl would be the best player on the Edmonton Oilers, were it not for arguably the best player in the NHL also being on that team. If Pastrnak continues to produce at his current level then he will still be behind Draisaitl in point production so I think the debatable tag would remain. Again I think Pasta is a great player and is definitely going to be a star for years to come, just pointing out that sometimes we overvalue our own players compared to other teams players who are also great.

Thanks,
Jeff.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
David Pastrnak always plays with exuberance. But the 20-year-old’s vibrance becomes enhanced when the puck is on his stick and one defender stands between him and the net.

“I love it. I love one-on-one,†said Pastrnak, who noted Sidney Crosby and John Tavares among the best in the business. “Ever since I was a kid, I love it. I played a lot of one-on-one when I was a kid against other kids. I love one-on-one. That was my favorite drill.â€

“I think he’s a threat to blow right by you or dangle you, for lack of a better term,†said coach Bruce Cassidy. “That’s the tough matchup. Some guys you know have got great speed, but they’re not going to try [dangling]. That’s what they’re going to use. Whereas he’s kind of a two-pronged attack guy. That’s why as a defender, you just don’t know what’s coming. Other guys have nifty hands, but they can’t accelerate. He can do both.â€

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...-situations/GHuQ8hF76zdaIu3SgcQPqN/story.html

It's nice to hear a coach spend more than one sentence on a player's individual skill and talent, rather than talking about some generalized system.

Always felt Julien didn't put enough stock into the individual talents of his players. Really feel like that has been the big difference in how Cassidy coaches versus Julien.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
It's nice to hear a coach spend more than one sentence on a player's individual skill and talent, rather than talking about some generalized system.

Always felt Julien didn't put enough stock into the individual talents of his players. Really feel like that has been the big difference in how Cassidy coaches versus Julien.

Time to let it go, dontcha think? :deadhorse

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
um comparing the new coach who's been at the helm for 10 games to the preceding one is not beating a dead horse lol

When it's done on every thread for every topic by the same posters who seem to be consumed with proving themselves right on every piece of minutiae, it sure is.

Grasshopperking

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
When it's done on every thread for every topic by the same posters who seem to be consumed with proving themselves right on every piece of minutiae, it sure is.

ignore it?

I can appreciate the relevancy of the conversation. Cassidy definitely seems more celebratory of our youth's skill. This quote being yet another example of his contrast to Claude

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
ignore it?

I can appreciate the relevancy of the conversation. Cassidy definitely seems more celebratory of our youth's skill. This quote being yet another example of his contrast to Claude

It's all well and good to appreciate and comment on the differences between the two coaches. And I am pleasantly surprised at the positive results which I am willing to admit now that Claude has been replaced that there is plenty of evidence that changes indeed needed to be made.

That said, there are some posters here who aren't merely comparing contrasts between Cassidy and Julien which is certainly relevant. There seems to be a little revisionist history to paint at Claude as a complete failure on every level which is disingenuous. He won a Cup and is the franchise leader in career wins. He did something right while he was here.

To some it's all about "I was right!!" more than anything else. That's all I'm saying.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
It's all well and good to appreciate and comment on the differences between the two coaches. And I am pleasantly surprised at the positive results which I am willing to admit now that Claude has been replaced that there is plenty of evidence that changes indeed needed to be made.

That said, there are some posters here who aren't merely comparing contrasts between Cassidy and Julien which is certainly relevant. There seems to be a little revisionist history to paint at Claude as a complete failure on every level which is disingenuous. He won a Cup and is the franchise leader in career wins. He did something right while he was here.

To some it's all about "I was right!!" more than anything else. That's all I'm saying.

I haven't seen a single post that has said Clode was a failure. Talk about an overreaction :laugh: Personally, I'm not sure if it's Cassidy, or if the team was just at the point that "anybody other than Clode" would have energized them?

I was always a Clode guy, but felt that his act was wearing a little thin the last couple of years, and I thought DS should have moved on from him after last year's collapse. I don't get too worked up about the Clode "I told you so" people because for so long all they heard was that he was the only thing keeping this awful team Sweeney constructed above .500.

I'm sure it feels nice to be somewhat vindicated.

At any rate, how about this Pasta kid. I saw the difference in him during the preseason. He had obviously spent some time getting bigger/stronger and it has paid huge dividends. I don't get to watch all the blossoming NHL talent, but I don't think I have seen any other kids with the combination of speed/hands/shot that Pasternak has displayed.

He's already really good and I think he has the chance to be special if his work ethic continues to match his ability.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I haven't seen a single post that has said Clode was a failure. Talk about an overreaction :laugh: Personally, I'm not sure if it's Cassidy, or if the team was just at the point that "anybody other than Clode" would have energized them?

I was always a Clode guy, but felt that his act was wearing a little thin the last couple of years, and I thought DS should have moved on from him after last year's collapse. I don't get too worked up about the Clode "I told you so" people because for so long all they heard was that he was the only thing keeping this awful team Sweeney constructed above .500.

At any rate, how about this Pasta kid. I saw the difference in him during the preseason. He had obviously spent some time getting bigger/stronger and it has paid huge dividends. I don't get to watch all the blossoming NHL talent, but I don't think I have seen any other kids with the combination of speed/hands/shot that Pasternak has displayed.

He's already really good and I think he has the chance to be special if his work ethic continues to match his ability.

in year one, he`d be bounced off a puck from a slight breeze, now the kid is consistently maintaining his balance while fending off opponents, the kid just get`s it

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Bang on.

I'll fully admit to going a little over the top, being a "I told you so" poster.

That being said, the second I expressed doubt and preference for a coaching change over the last couple of years, I was torn a new one by most of the board. DID I NOT KNOW THE HISTORY?!?!?!? DID I NOT KNOW CLAUDE WON A CUP?!?!?!

I get that my vindication is annoying to some...especially to those ultimate Claude defenders. But please...understand why I need my moment in the sun after years of taking **** for a completely logical (and apparently correct) thought process.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Coaches win coach of the year and get fired next season... fans make way too big a deal out of it

Reality is players will choose to play for some coaches when things are going well. If the players are playing for the coach then normally there's no motive to fire them...

This is how player coaches like barry trots and Lindy ruff can keep their jobs so long

Right up to the end, the players played for julien.

But under any coach there are favorites and non favorites and style clash so it can matter who is coaching in select cases. Now A couple guys do have a new leash on life. They do feel they have something to prove. So let's enjoy this bump we are getting but it will take a couple years before any new coach can be compared to julien. 10 games in late February have never mattered to this fan base. Julian coached teams had very strong 10 game stretches of hockey the last 2 years too.

Julian ultimately was judged on playoffs... and the next coach will be too

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I get that my vindication is annoying to some...especially to those ultimate Claude defenders. But please...understand why I need my moment in the sun after years of taking **** for a completely logical (and apparently correct) thought process.

And you're absolutely right, if you took crap from others then you can and should bask in the sun. My apologies, I didn't mean to start anything.

As a Claude defender, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong. Especially seeing what we've seen the past three weeks, it's obvious there were issues. I'm still processing everything though wondering how much issues between Julien and upper management caused more tension vs. what was attributable to Claude himself. In retrospect, they probably should have let him go after that Ottawa loss last year. My guess is they didn't have plan B back then.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Bang on.

I'll fully admit to going a little over the top, being a "I told you so" poster.

That being said, the second I expressed doubt and preference for a coaching change over the last couple of years, I was torn a new one by most of the board. DID I NOT KNOW THE HISTORY?!?!?!? DID I NOT KNOW CLAUDE WON A CUP?!?!?!

Might be a tad premature celebration there, especially if Bruins miss the playoffs and Habs have a deep run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad