Confirmed with Link: David Nonis TML GM|Brian Burke Hired as Senior Advisor - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorityRules*

It really doesn't matter anymore. We finally have an ownership group who wants to see results and not soundbites. I am once again a Leaf fan because I once again have hope! Something I have not had for quite some time.

I'm positive you'll change your tune very soon.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Once again I am talking about rebuilding an "Organization" not the NHL team specifically. If Burke had rebuild the organization then 4 1/2 years is enough time to see if we are starting to draft and cultivate talent at a good rate. We are not seeing that so its easy to say that he has failed.

I disagree. Take a look at the Marlies and tell me there aren't several Burke acquired prospects that are on the cusp of becoming regular NHLers.

Kadri, Colborne, Scrivens, Rynnas, Gardiner, McKegg, Blacker, Ashton are all young players cultivated by Burke that are now in the conversation. And those are just the guys on the Marlies roster. That list doesn't include prospects in junior.

hockeyfanz*

I disagree. Take a look at the Marlies and tell me there aren't several Burke acquired prospects that are on the cusp of becoming regular NHLers.

Kadri, Colborne, Scrivens, Rynnas, Gardiner, McKegg, Blacker, Ashton are all young players cultivated by Burke that are now in the conversation. And those are just the guys on the Marlies roster. That list doesn't include prospects in junior.

Those guys are just names. What do you think they will become? Don't all farm systems have potential NHLers? What do you think farm systems are for? Didn't the previous GM have potential NHLers in the system? There are a ton playing in the NHL right now....a few on the Leafs. This argument that Burke supporters keep bringing up is absolutely ridiculous.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Those guys are just names. What do you think they will become? Don't all farm systems have potential NHLers? What do you think farm systems are for? Didn't the previous GM have potential NHLers in the system? There are a ton playing in the NHL right now....a few on the Leafs. This argument that Burke supporters keep bringing up is absolutely ridiculous.

The point being that while every NHL team has potential NHLers, Burke has significantly improved the quality of ours. Our future is brighter because of him, and we will reap the rewards of his work for years to come.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Once again I am talking about rebuilding an "Organization" not the NHL team specifically. If Burke had rebuild the organization then 4 1/2 years is enough time to see if we are starting to draft and cultivate talent at a good rate. We are not seeing that so its easy to say that he has failed.

Rielly, Finn, Biggs, Percy, Kadri, Blacker, D'Amigo, Ross, McKegg, Nilsson, Brown

These guys are the picks that Burke made in 4 drafts. They are all quality picks and have potential (some better then others) to have an impact at the NHL level. I may be forgetting a couple too.

Not too mention Joe Colborne and Jake Gardiner, Ben Scrivens, Tyler Bozak, Jussi Ryannas, Carter Ashton who he brought in through FA/Trades.

Heck Phil Kessel is what? 24? Still crazy young.

To say Brian Burke hasn't helped build this team is nuts

R McD

Jun 21, 2010
The GTA.

A crappy article simply regurgitating whats been reported on the radio today already, and you can clearly tell by tone of the piece, the bias of the author. And for the love of Joe Pesci would people stop using the LA Kings as an excuse for the leafs to field a team just good enough to make 8th in the playoffs. LA is a bleeding special case, their bloated with talent, just look at them for god's sake. Their under performance in the regular season was infuriating , but it was obvious they were a freaking powerhouse and still are, my god......

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

I'm not saying they're going to be good. None of us know that. Nobody does. But to argue that there are no young players in the system because of Burke is wrong.

He has restocked the system and there are multiple players that are on the cusp of migrating to the NHL. Whether or not they are good NHLers remains to be seen. None of us can predict that in hockey, or in any other sport.

You seem to miss my point: it's my belief that before Burke was here the organization, overall, was a disaster. I believe Burke spent three and a half years building it back up and over the next couple of years it's going to bear some fruit.

None of us can predict performance. But I do think the organization has a young base of talent in place thanks to Burke. Of course, I could be wrong. They could turn out to be just "guys."

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008

The only person on that list that are actually NHL ready is Gardiner. One for eight....

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
I'll be in lecture @ 6. Any notes will be appreciated :)

- Nonis may or may not have a contract past this year and the next. Keeping it between him and management.

- Nonis is happy with what Brian Burke has accomplished as far as the players acquired and staff attitude.

- Nonis and Burke think alike in the way the game should be played (trucluence?) but believes how you get there is different. Has his own style.

- Nonis is confident with Randy Carlyle. Doesn't anticipate a coaching change. Exceptional coach and will be given every opportunity.

- To the fans who think the Leafs have a lot of wholes to fill: Nonis believes they have some key pieces; Carter Ashton, Morgan Rielly, Jake Gardiner and Joffery Lupul. Doesn't believe trading them for older players isn't what he's going to do. Thinks the draft is a very important element of that. Continues to support the notion of building LONG TERM.

- On Luongo: vague but says that the deal will have to make sense long term.

- On CBA: Doesn't think the Leafs are any more advantaged then any other teams with the new CBA aside from some freedom in the cap. Feels contractually they are set up well.

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
Rielly, Finn, Biggs, Percy, Kadri, Blacker, D'Amigo, Ross, McKegg, Nilsson, Brown

These guys are the picks that Burke made in 4 drafts. They are all quality picks and have potential (some better then others) to have an impact at the NHL level. I may be forgetting a couple too.

Not too mention Joe Colborne and Jake Gardiner, Ben Scrivens, Tyler Bozak, Jussi Ryannas, Carter Ashton who he brought in through FA/Trades.

Heck Phil Kessel is what? 24? Still crazy young.
And another GM wouldn't have drafted anyone during the previous four drafts? Morgan Rielly is really the only drafted player to be very excited about.

Joe Colborne is turning 23 in a few weeks and can't average more than 0.5 PPG in the freaking AHL. And what's Ashton's upside? A third-liner?

Not that it matters, but Kessel turned 25 months ago.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Could you provide some examples of Ferguson's success in this regard?

I would say the same thing about Burke. Kadri, Colborne, Gardiner, Scrivens, Rynnas (Hockey has been off so long, my memory is failing me. I'm sure there are a couple of others too) - are all fairly high profile prospects that are on the cusp of being regular NHLers.

Fergusson's draft record with the leafs

Justin Pogge
Roman Kukumberg
Karel Hromas
Dmitry Vorobiev
Robbie Earl
Maxim Semenov
Jan Steber
Mike Guthrie

Tukka Rask
Phil Oreskovic
Alex Berry
Johan Dahlberg
Anton Stralman
Chad Rau

Jiri Tlusty
Nikolai Kulemin
James Reimer
Korbinian Holzer
Viktor Stalberg
Tyler Ruegsegger
Leo Komarov

Dale Mitchell
Matt Frattin
Ben Winnett
Juraj Mikus
Chris DiDomenico
Carl Gunnarsson

You can clearly see that after his first draft year when his front office team is assembled that you see NHL regulars in the group. The fact that with the time that has past since then not only has he managed to find players via scouting but was also able to develop said players into NHL regulars or legitimate prospects.

Rask
Stralman
Kulemin
Reimer
Holzer
Stalberg
Komarov
Frattin

Is a solid group of talent for a 4 year span (with 2 years of no 1st rounders) to base an opinion on the front office's ability to find and develop talent. In Burke's case many of his "players" have not yet established themselves.

Edit: I should point out that I am not saying JFJ>Burke, simply that given the picks available that Ferguson was able to draft NHL regulars due to his scouting staff he built.

Last edited:

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
The only person on that list that are actually NHL ready is Gardiner. One for eight....

What? Kadri, Colborne, Scrivens and Rynnas all played in the NHL last year.

The Marlies - with those guys in several key positions - are near the top of the AHL standings. To arbitrarily say that the key young players aren't NHL ready is a bit silly. The evidence suggests the opposite.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
McGown suggesting that Nonis tried to convince Tanenbaum not to fire Burke, to give him until the end of the year.

Not sure how true it is, given he isn't the most reputable, but notable nonetheless.

ALine

May 14, 2012

I'm sorry but no, 4 years is not enough time to evaluate that. Burkes first draft here was 2009, Kadri being that pick of course. It is too early to label anyone from that 2009 draft. (Bust, steal, etc). 2009 draft class are still very much prospects. No wonder we aren't seeing talent in the NHL from Burkes overhauled draft team.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Fergusson's draft record with the leafs

Justin Pogge
Roman Kukumberg
Karel Hromas
Dmitry Vorobiev
Robbie Earl
Maxim Semenov
Jan Steber
Mike Guthrie

Tukka Rask
Phil Oreskovic
Alex Berry
Johan Dahlberg
Anton Stralman
Chad Rau

Jiri Tlusty
Nikolai Kulemin
James Reimer
Korbinian Holzer
Viktor Stalberg
Tyler Ruegsegger
Leo Komarov

Dale Mitchell
Matt Frattin
Ben Winnett
Juraj Mikus
Chris DiDomenico
Carl Gunnarsson

You can clearly see that after his first draft year when his front office team is assembled that you see NHL regulars in the group. The fact that with the time that has past since then not only has he managed to find players via scouting but was also able to develop said players into NHL regulars or legitimate prospects.

Rask
Stralman
Kulemin
Reimer
Holzer
Stalberg
Komarov
Frattin

Is a solid group of talent for a 4 year span (with 2 years of no 1st rounders) to base an opinion on the front office's ability to find and develop talent. In Burke's case many of his "players" have not yet established themselves.

Okay, but all of the players drafted and acquired by Ferguson have had twice as much time to establish themselves as those acquired by Burke. All of those guys that are now NHL regulars were drafted by Ferguson seven or eight years ago.

The players acquired by Burke have only been in the Leafs system for two or three years maximum. Let's come back to this thread in two or three years and we probably will be saying the same thing about some of the players brought in by Burke.

The point is: it takes time. When Ferguson left everybody said: "He was terrible. The team is a disaster." (I was one of them!).

Four years later it turns out that Ferguson left behind more players than any of us thought.

The things you're saying about Burke now, today, people were saying about Ferguson when he was fired.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
- Nonis may or may not have a contract past this year and the next. Keeping it between him and management.

If I remember correctly, he said he had several years left on his current deal, which to me means more than two years at the minimum.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
What? Kadri, Colborne, Scrivens and Rynnas all played in the NHL last year.

The Marlies - with those guys in several key positions - are near the top of the AHL standings. To arbitrarily say that the key young players aren't NHL ready is a bit silly. The evidence suggests the opposite.

No, it doesn't. Those guys played in the NHL, and proved that they weren't ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad