Confirmed with Link: David Nonis TML GM|Brian Burke Hired as Senior Advisor - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigleaf

Jun 21, 2008
Purely personal opinions based poll, as very little information is known at this time. What do you think was the main reason behind MLSE board's decision to fire Burke?

I realize some may think there was multiple reasons, just select the most prominent one.

Incompetent, meddling NEW board at MLSE. The timing, I repeat, the TIMING doesn't pass the smell test. They could have fired him right away in August, maybe waited a month until September. October might have been a good time to fire Burkie. November would have sufficed. December, Christmas coming, not the best time but early December, I could live with. NO, MLSE decides January 9, 2013, the day the owners decide to ratify the new CBA is the best time? A few days before training camp opens, trades can be made etc.? WTF is going on? Even Ballard is rolling over in his grave. Laughing stock of the NHL, our Toronto Maple Leafs.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The new suits running the organization want a more "corporate" (pliable) person running the hockey organization.

Nonis fits the corporate image and is respected for his approach, and doesn't need the spotlight on himself at all times.

So in that regard MLSE made a good choice to fulfill that requirement.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
One thing they've accomplished with this move - the Leafs have (briefly) stolen the city's attention away from the Jays.

For all the wrong reasons.

I'm looking LESS forward to the Leafs season, and am MORE excited for the Jays.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Nonis fits the corporate image and is respected for his approach, and doesn't need the spotlight on himself at all times.

So in that regard MLSE made a good choice to fulfill that requirement.

I have no issues with Nonis. Although, I would have interviewed other candidates from other organizations (but that's only possible if you make a change at GM during the slower portion of the off season).

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Incompetent, meddling NEW board at MLSE. The timing, I repeat, the TIMING doesn't pass the smell test. They could have fired him right away in August, maybe waited a month until September. October might have been a good time to fire Burkie. November would have sufficed. December, Christmas coming, not the best time but early December, I could live with. NO, MLSE decides January 9, 2013, the day the owners decide to ratify the new CBA is the best time? A few days before training camp opens, trades can be made etc.? WTF is going on? Even Ballard is rolling over in his grave. Laughing stock of the NHL, our Toronto Maple Leafs.

It was supposed to be a poll, as I was curious to see a tally of what people think, but it was not meant to be.

I agree with you. To me, it also comes down to timing.

If it's a decision based on his performance, there's nothing that's changed between the time when Rogers/Sportsnet took over to now. I really don't buy that reason.

If it's his conduct with the media/board. I'm sure it may have bothered some people on the board, but did something happen during the lockout in this respect that was the last straw? Doubtful.

This leaves me to think that the decision does in fact have to do with a Luongo trade disagreement.

The fact that we have a board full of self-proclaimed hockey experts does not bode well for the future of the franchise.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
For all the wrong reasons.

I'm looking LESS forward to the Leafs season, and am MORE excited for the Jays.

I'm actually fascinated by what the start of the season will bring.

It would not surprise me at all if this team gets off to a Raptor-like start and is buried before the first 20 games are up (I have this awful feeling that Carlyle is going to be an epic debacle as a coach).

However, there are days I think that Reimer is going to bounce back and carry this team and they're going to be a lot better than anybody thought.

In other word, I have no idea what is going to happen when the puck drops and today just adds to that.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
It was supposed to be a poll, as I was curious to see a tally of what people think, but it was not meant to be.

I agree with you. To me, it also comes down to timing.

If it's a decision based on his performance, there's nothing that's changed between the time when Rogers/Sportsnet took over to now. I really don't buy that reason.

If it's his conduct with the media/board. I'm sure it may have bothered some people on the board, but did something happen during the lockout in this respect that was the last straw? Doubtful.

This leaves me to think that the decision does in fact have to do with a Luongo trade disagreement.

The fact that we have a board full of self-proclaimed hockey experts does not bode well for the future of the franchise.

Maybe if a couple of them disagree on something they'll fire each other.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I haven't read past this page since I left earlier but if anyone is questioning Burke's drafting giving this team a better cupboard than we've had in decades while he was GM that's flat out wrong. And with quality high-picks that are still in the organization or have been turned (ex Schenn to JVR) into assets rather than disappearing into zilch (exTlusty) like has been the result of drafts before Burke took over here.

But who turned Tlusty (who seems to be on the cusp of being a good asset) into Philippe Paradis?

I believe his initials are BB.

Wrong example. ;)

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I have to go for dinner, but I'm really interested in finding out what brought the Rogers people around to wanting to fire Burke.

From how it's been reported throughout the day, by various reports, the Bell guys didn't want Burke at all and Bell and Rogers have agreed to vote as a block (hard to believe that's going to work well going forward) in order to control the direction of the team and sideline Tannenbaum.

So, in order for them to make a move to remove Burke the Rogers half of that partnership would have to come on board in recent days. I'm curious to find out how that came about. Perhaps that's where the Luongo speculation comes into it.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
I have no issues with Nonis. Although, I would have interviewed other candidates from other organizations (but that's only possible if you make a change at GM during the slower portion of the off season).

This was clearly a reactionary decision made in response to a particular trigger incident. Never mind that you can make a perfectly reasonable case for firing Burke based on performance, the timing and haste of the decision makes it obvious that the firing - and Nonis' subsequent promotion - came in response to a particular tipping point that gave those who wanted Burke gone the ammunition they needed.

What that was - whether it was the rumoured profanity at a board meeting, for example - we may not know for years if ever. But unless it was something they simply couldn't have kept him on after (I won't speculate as to what that might be) then the timing is poor, and doesn't do anything to help the new ownership's reputation.

In summary: yuck.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Absolutely shocked by the timing. Not trying to be a goof here but for Burke's health this might be a good thing. He's been looking like a heart attack waiting to happen for the last couple of years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad