David Koci: I fought for my dream

EurolancheDavid

Former Avalanche enforecer remembers on his NHL career with many interesting memories.

David Koci wrote a great piece about his hockey career. He didn’t forget to mention the years spent playing for the Colorado Avalanche and revealed exclusive details of his life as an enforcer. The original story was published by a special project called Bezfrazi.cz. Eurolanche.com selected, edited and translated the most interesting parts.

About his first years

“It didn’t look good with my hockey career in North America. I wasn’t even playing in the AHL during my first two years there. I called my hockey agent. Nothing made sense. A local Czech team was interested in me. I wanted to go back there, but the Penguins had refused to let me go. I even called the general manager Craig Patrick. He repeatedly told “No†to my requests to send me back to Europe. He didn’t even talk to me. I hung up and threw the phone at wall, where it left a dark hole.â€

About his way to the NHL

Explanation: In his third year as a rookie, Koci was one of the last players to be reassigned to the AHL after pre-season camp. He earned his sport thanks to his toughness. He realized that in order to make it to the NHL, he had to embrace the role of an enforcer.

“It wasn’t a problem during the first year. Everyone was so kind to me. I was euphoric. Teammates and trainers respected me. But later, I found out what the situation was about. I’ve never been a natural enforcer. I liked when they changed their mind about my game, but I realized I had to do it every day. If I stopped, they would send me down and recall someone else. It’s like drugs. You start to take them, then you’re on the top and later, you realize there’s no way back. “

Explanation: Koci made his debut in the NHL for the Chicago Blackhawks. In his first game, he got into three fights and made national headlines. As he wrote it himself, it only cemented his position on the team as an enforcer.

About his first KO

“I got KO’d by Brian McGrattan. The fight left me concussed. In the locker room, I saw my teammate Michal Sivek. I asked him why he didn’t play, when in reality he’d been injured for months, but I had no idea about anything. Later, when I saw the fight on tape, it was scary to watch myself when I got up from the ice and went to the locker room. I didn’t remember any of it.â€

About his injuries

“It looked bad when Zdeno Chara broke my nose, but it wasn’t brutal.â€

“Nothing hurts you at first. Adrenalin suppresses the pain. I was fighting DJ King and when I was ready to beat him again, I couldn’t put my hand into a fist because it was broken.â€

“When Westgarth broke my jaw I could hear a crack. I didn’t feel anything, I could only hear it. A doctor told me my jaw was split in two pieces after the game.â€

About his best fight

“It was against Brian McGrattan, when I played for the Avs. We were fighting for a play-off spot. There were three enforcers on both sides that night. First, the second line fought, then the third line and our line, the fourth line joined in during the last fight. It was like a boxing match in Las Vegas. It was great and long fight with him. I lost my balance, but it was even. The fans were ecstatic.â€

Note: Koci didn't specify which of the following fights he considers his best one.

More info: Koci started to work out before games while in Denver and realized it was a great to fire himself up before a game.

About medication

“It’s wasn’t fun. A lot of enforces went down the spiral of depression and pills. Almost everyone took them before the lockout in 2004. Steroids, pumps, everything… Guys stuffed themselves, their eyes lit up and they went to do their job.â€

“Thinking about all those guys who stuffed themselves with meds and washed them down with beer during flights, I’m not really surprised that they only lasted in the NHL for about three years. They took sleeping pills when they arrived at the hotel, then took pills in the morning to fire themselves up. The same routine, every day. But after some guys died a couple of years back, all the meds are now prescription-only. In the past, you only need to go back to the team doctor to tell him you’re aching and he gave them to you without anyone asking. Now, he’s responsible for everything and everything’s being recorded somewhere. “

Final words from David: I didn’t play hockey in order to fight. I fought in order to play hockey. My knuckles were my ticket to fulfilling my dreams.

david_koci_chicago_blackhawks.jpg

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Was he the one that was originally a defenseman before being a forward/enforcer? One night we used one of the enforcers back there on defense and he played pretty well lol.

Nice story, these guys have/had rough careers.

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan
Was he the one that was originally a defenseman before being a forward/enforcer? One night we used one of the enforcers back there on defense and he played pretty well lol.

Nice story, these guys have/had rough careers.
Shawn Thornton made the NHL as a D-man if I remember correctly. He had to become a RW enforcer in order to stick around though.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah, Koci was a defenseman originally. I seem to remember him playing there a little bit and he wasn't as bad as you'd expect. Unfortunately, the first thing I think about whenever I think of David Koci's Avs days was when he concussed Mike Green in an Avs/Caps tilt a few years back. The year before I went to an Avs/Caps tilt at the Pepsi Center just so I could see Ovechkin in action (that was the game #8 put Karlis Skrastins through the glass) and Green absolutely blew my mind with his speed and skill. I remember being a little upset with Koci for that reason.

Others who switched: Alex Henry, Dale Purinton.

Jason Strudwick also played both D and forward, but unlike a lot of those guys I thought he was a pretty good defenseman. Had a very underrated shot from the point. He wasn't really an enforcer in the strictest sense either.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Jon Scott switched too. IIRC Belak did as well. A lot of enforcers move from defense to wing so they can fight and not force a team down to 5D.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Lord, I remember Koci getting a game or two at the end of that brutal season for the AVs as a d-man and coming away mildly surprised because he had a better outing than most of the crap we dressed as D the last half-of a season.

Loved his interviews too...seemed like another really smart man who did what he had to do to get some playing time. I believe one of the interviews he gave on Altitude was from that cool bookstore on the 16th Avenue Mall...

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Jon Scott switched too. IIRC Belak did as well. A lot of enforcers move from defense to wing so they can fight and not force a team down to 5D.

The thing that stood out to me was him playing D one game for us, and our defense being so bad at the time, that I thought holy **** I'd take more of that. Never again did he play D for us. lol

Koci was interesting, as I never thought he was completely useless. A little better than your average enforcer IMO.

Lord, I remember Koci getting a game or two at the end of that brutal season for the AVs as a d-man and coming away mildly surprised because he had a better outing than most of the crap we dressed as D the last half-of a season.

Loved his interviews too...seemed like another really smart man who did what he had to do to get some playing time. I believe one of the interviews he gave on Altitude was from that cool bookstore on the 16th Avenue Mall...

Yep this, lol

Do you remember what year that was?

Rackham

Nov 25, 2013
Colorado
I remember Koci not being the best fighter. But he never hesitated to stick up for his team. I'll never forget one game against Minnesota where he kept chirping Boogaard, and Boogey finally just kind of sighed and annihilated Koci.

He was super nice at the Meet the Team season ticket party one year. Reached over security to sign my hat (when I wasn't supposed to ask him.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad