David Honzik, G - Victoriaville Tigres, QMJHL

R S

Sep 18, 2006
This kid is putting together quite the postseason so far.

From Yahoo:

The goalie should get a contract to promote Roget's Thesaurus, since people need new words to describe how well he played for the underdog Tigres. Honzik made 42 saves in Victoriaville's season-ending 3-2 loss to Saint John, capping a terrific three weeks where he did wonders for his NHL draft stock. Friday's effort marked the seventh time in nine games that the 17-year-old Honzik (3.28 goals-against average, .919 save percentage in the post-season), made at least 38 saves.

Where do you see him getting picked?

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
This kid is putting together quite the postseason so far.

From Yahoo:

Where do you see him getting picked?

Took the job from Mastopietro, made Saint John work for everything. I like him.

I think he`s a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Has good form and doesn`t seem to let in a lot of soft goals.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
definitely a huge riser. I see him with NHL potential, something I didn't see at the beginning of the season. Once he settled in his new environment and new country, he was excellent. Can't wait to see him next year.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Just from reading about him, (haven't see him play), I could very well see him as one of the top 5 goalies picked this June.

Him, along with Hellberg, Perhonen and the 2 Gibson's. Although Pavelka is a darkhorse out of Europe.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I hope Colorado picks atleast 1 more goaltender this year and possibly two. They need to keep adding to their pool, eventually one has to pay off.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I hope Colorado picks atleast 1 more goaltender this year and possibly two. They need to keep adding to their pool, eventually one has to pay off.

Easier said then done. They have 2 picks in the 1st and not again until the 4th. Many of these goalies will likely be 2nd and 3rd round picks. Avs will miss out on atleast 3-4 of the top goalie prospects this June, unless they pick up an extra pick or two.

I would almost guarantee that they would take a goalie at some point, though. Not likely til very late if they don't grab an extra pick or two.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Honzik is more of a 3rd-5th rounder. A team would be stupid to pick him in the 2nd. He's got good lateral movement and flexibility for a big frame. Also with his frame he takes a ton of net, but his speed needs to be improved and lets in the occasional soft goal. Plays a lot like a cross between Reimer and Luongo. Butterfly and plays a bit deep in his net.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
Just from reading about him, (haven't see him play), I could very well see him as one of the top 5 goalies picked this June.

Him, along with Hellberg, Perhonen and the 2 Gibson's. Although Pavelka is a darkhorse out of Europe.

Pavelka is late pick at best. His play regressed a lot throughout the season.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
There are a lot of good Czech's coming through the CHL lately. I think he'll go just before Machovsky and Galansky will probably go late. IMO he's the best Czech goalie in the draft.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
There are a lot of good Czech's coming through the CHL lately. I think he'll go just before Machovsky and Galansky will probably go late. IMO he's the best Czech goalie in the draft.

I was curious as to how people thought of him compared to Machovsky. Thanks smitty10.

It'll be definitely interesting to see where the goalies land this year. I'm thinking mid-2nd rnd before either one comes off the board, but always seems to be one taken earlier...

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

Yep the CHL does a pretty good job of developing European goalies I find. Neuvirth and Pavelec developed there and Kovar is a good prospect as well. Now there are many such as Mrazek, Honzik, Machovsky, Galansky who are showing promise. Prospects from Finland might not do as well but they are recieving quality goaltending coaching at home. Goalies from Russia and less renowned goaltending nations however develop their technique and imo become better goalies than they ever would have at home. Andrey Makarov improved greatly throughout the year and is better off developing in the CHL imo. It seems to accelerate their development and improve their mental preperation as well as techniques with the new situations they face on and off the ice.

JMcLeaf

Looks very athletic. I know it's hard to predict with goalies, but any idea what spot he is likely to go? I'm assuming he is still ranked below the Gibson's, Perhonen and Hellberg?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Like the looks of him. One of the sharpest climbers this CHL postseason, started a thread on him for that exact topic last week. Could see him climb into round two.

How tall is he?

Analyzer*

Like the looks of him. One of the sharpest climbers this CHL postseason, started a thread on him for that exact topic last week. Could see him climb into round two.

How tall is he?

hockeydb has him at 6'3.

He has get leg movement. Glove seems to be quick.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I think he flashes the glove to make it look much quicker than it really is lol.

But a guy that is that big and that athletic will surely have a bright future with the right coaching and work on rebounds and angles.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
I think he flashes the glove to make it look much quicker than it really is lol.

But a guy that is that big and that athletic will surely have a bright future with the right coaching and work on rebounds and angles.

He's got a lot of Kevin Poulin in him. it help that his playing in Victoriaville as well. size + athletic ability.

funny story about Honzik, back in czech republic he had a goalie coach and he spend about 20-30 minute a week working with him, now in Victoriaville he has one and they work together everyday during the season. it really showed during the playoff were his play took off. Had a up and down year but save his best for last.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
He looks very agile and composed in his movements. Add to that his obvious athletic ablility, and size and you have a strong goaltending prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad