Prospect Info: David Farrance, D, 92nd Overall, USNTDP

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
Saw that he played in his first game according to Elite prospects... How did he look?

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Saw that he played in his first game according to Elite prospects... How did he look?
He played it safe. Not really noticeable. Which is a good thing, I would say. In comparison to say Davies, who we definitely notice - and not for the right reasons - I think Farrance kept it dialed down and was therefore better in that role to me. But it was just one game, so doesn't really mean anything.
:dunno:

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
His second game as a Pred, he played 22:29 and 4:09 on the PP and a +2.

I thought he looked very good for a kid in only his second game. Notable moments included carrying the puck into the Carolina zone with speed and weaving his way through their team right down main street. He looked really comfortable quarterbacking the PP. Quick and active cycling east-west and north-south to breakdown the box. Nice stick work to retrieve pucks and hold the zone. There were some really nice glimpses into the sort of offensive skill this kid has.

Overall, we look like we have seriously good depth on D. Even Allard, who came up and played a game and spent some time on the taxi squad this season before going back to Chicago, looked like he could be a solid stay-at-home D guy.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
rw4951X.jpg

edit: lol I googled him and I assumed this was in the prospects forum. Sorry guys

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Well ill answer anyways. Was supposed to be really high end offensively but always spotty defensively but after 56 ahl games hes got 15 points. Thats not gonna cut it
Have we ever "thrown away" a young D who subsequently reappeared elsewhere and proved us wrong? I mean, there are lots of young D we have traded, but that's not what I mean... trading guys like Jones or Girard from a position of strength to address other areas of severe need isn't throwing them away. And I don't mean guys from late in the draft or whatever who worked at it, but never quite made it (here or anywhere else), like Allard or Dougherty or Roussell or later round picks that just never panned out.

Myers and Farrance are a couple of recent somewhat-higher-profile young D who have truly just been scrapped after a relatively short look. It's early days, but neither player seems particularly likely to prove the Preds wrong.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Have we ever "thrown away" a young D who subsequently reappeared elsewhere and proved us wrong? I mean, there are lots of young D we have traded, but that's not what I mean... trading guys like Jones or Girard from a position of strength to address other areas of severe need isn't throwing them away. And I don't mean guys from late in the draft or whatever who worked at it, but never quite made it (here or anywhere else), like Allard or Dougherty or Roussell or later round picks that just never panned out.

Myers and Farrance are a couple of recent somewhat-higher-profile young D who have truly just been scrapped after a relatively short look. It's early days, but neither player seems particularly likely to prove the Preds wrong.
Yeh its just such a hard turn on farrance. Hes still pretty young. His defensive game isnt coming along though and his offensive game isnt translating to the ahl. If his offense was good enough, his defensive weakness could be looked over some.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

Well, we sort of gave up on Franson, only to trade back for him 4 years later. Hutchinson couldn't stay healthy long but he was decent in Carolina for a minute or 2.
But there's not a Fiala of defense for us.

I will add this, rumor had it, Colorado wanted Fabbro over Girard but Poile wouldn't do it.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Well, we sort of gave up on Franson, only to trade back for him 4 years later. Hutchinson couldn't stay healthy long but he was decent in Carolina for a minute or 2.
But there's not a Fiala of defense for us.

I will add this, rumor had it, Colorado wanted Fabbro over Girard but Poile wouldn't do it.
With our looming Cap crunch and some of the handling of Fabbro I wonder if the organization is re-thinking that. I don't believe they should be, of course. But things aren't looking 100% rosy. :(

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I'm sure Farrance wishes he'd just gone pro instead of coming back for his senior season given how it all played out. Who knows what happens in that alternate reality but the half season they ended up playing certainly didn't do him any favors.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Either way, it does seem weird that a guy who could be THE leading scorer, from D, on a top Div 1 NCAA program would be THAT incapable in the AHL. I mean, BU doesn't have chopped liver for prospects on their roster. Oh well.

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008
Either way, it does seem weird that a guy who could be THE leading scorer, from D, on a top Div 1 NCAA program would be THAT incapable in the AHL. I mean, BU doesn't have chopped liver for prospects on their roster. Oh well.

I can't say I've noticed him much in the Admirals games when they've played the Wolves either this year.

BU's 2nd leading scorer (Patrick Harper) couldn't cut in the AHL either. There's a lot of 'quality' college players whose talent doesn't translate to the pro game for whatever reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad