David Ebner on Canucks PP Problems

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I know it's probably out of favour, but I'll throw it out there. The game Sestito was on our first PP, it looked deadly, and I think it scored twice.

Kassian or Sestito in front of the net.
Edler or Garrison with a big one timer.
Daniel (or Henrik when he's back) or Hamhuis or Bieksa dishing the puck from the back end.
Higgins or Burrows or Kesler (or Schroeder or Santo when they've recovered) roving around, looking for an opportunistic shot. Burrows works at the goal line, Kesler loves the high slot, and Higgins isn't too bad anywhere.

None of this set play garbage, with our rotating bench due to injuries, it makes no sense having to either redo our powerplay every time the personnel changes, or try to hammer a round peg into a square hole.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
The Sedins and Dan Hamhuis are a gaping black hole of any potential offense on the power play. They are HORRIBLE. Pass pass weak shot. Wow a minor hockey team could defend that ****.

No Sedins or Hamhuis on the first unit please.

Oh yeah, taking the Sedins off the 1PP is totally going to work wonders.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
when Schroeder comes back, put him on the 2nd unit? whatever the personall/coaches decide to do.. the powerplay will always always be predictable. 3 slow passes, shoot, defenders block it or nucks waste time whose to blame? gully?

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
I liked the beginning of the year when Garrison just broke everybody's ankle if he couldn't get a lane.

Wetcoaster

I think this tweet from Montreal Gazette hockey writer Dave Stubbs says it best:

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
Players at this level don't forget how to play. Injuries & slumps are part of hockey. But widespread failures usually speak to systems

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Ugh ebner now..... Can we refrain from ebner or tony g articles...

Ebner has been watching the team for what a year and a half? He even admitted it and hes been retweeting brooksie about his articles trying to make a name for himself.

Lets post some Kevin woodley comments if we want a real balanced intricate analysis. Woodley had some great comments about our PP and the sedins success in the world championships last season for sweden and why they were so good on the PP in that tournament. And no it wasnt just the big ice. In his opinion it was more about the right handed shot at the point where henrik sets up where they had garrison last game.

"Kevin Woodley ‏@KevinisInGoal May 16
@******** agree, but inherent problem is Garrison likes 1-T set ups coming from left + Sedins operate almost exclusively on right wall"

Lick the envolope did a good PP breakdown back in 2013 for us since boston in 2012. Its been an ongoing problem for our team. What does not add up is our pp was on fire in 2011-2012 without erhoff for the first 3 months. Then went missing. Our PP was so good for october, nov, december of 2011 that we still finished 4th despite our brutal PP numbers the rest of 2012.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=62869145&postcount=28

Last edited:

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Funny how Newell Brown joins the Coyotes and their PP% is 9th. Not saying he is the only reason but he did orchestrate the top PP in the league for 2 straight seasons.

The question is, is it mike riberio or newell brown, I cant get a definitive answer from coyote fans. They are conflicted. None of us know. I was in pheonix back in october for a game and actually asked the coyote announcers back in October when the PP looked amazing and they claimed it was riberio. It could be newell brown, its anyone's guess.

Last edited:

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
The question is, is it mike riberio or newell brown, I cant get a definitive answer from coyote fans. They are conflicted. None of us know. I was in pheonix back in october for a game and actually asked the coyote announcers back in October when the PP looked amazing and they claimed it was riberio. It could be newell brown, its anyone's guess.

Ribeiro can run a PP in his sleep. It's really hard task to find a definitive answer.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
time to balance the powerplay units. split the twins up when hank is healthy. I think loading up the first unit is stale.

burrows/daniel/kassian in this case daniel=passer/playmaker, can switch burrows with higgins or whoever.
edler/bieska

kesler/seisto *big body in front/ bombs from the point garry/weber. another forward . change it up.

shoot more.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Honestly, we're going to have to employ the Bruins strategy re: Chara until we're able to supply some talent into the team. Cycle the puck, pass it to Garrison. If he scores it's a win, if he doesn't, recover the puck and get it back to him. His slapshot is terrifying and we really have a lack of other options at this point.

94eleven

fka Loosemonkeys
Dec 29, 2007
Denver, Colorado
The bizarre thing about that whole sequence with Hamhuis is why they would have him, as a left shot, coming down the left side trying to one time a puck coming across his body. Burrows is blindly throwing it over there, if a right shot was there they can open their body up to the pass and make a much simpler shot. It was incredibly frustrating to watch since any of Kesler/Kassian/Bieksa/hell Dalpe should be able to finish those passes much easier.

With everyone healthy you have Henrik on the right half wall, Burrows off to the side in front, Daniel in the high slot, Edler/Garrison up top and Kesler on the weak side. That's when it can be successful. The problem is without all 4 of those forwards (which has been a rarity that all 4 are in the lineup) there isn't anyone to replace them. Personally right now I would like to see Daniel on the half wall, Burrows and the Dman in the same spots, Kesler in the high slot and Kassian on the weak side. That gives both Kesler and Kassian one-time opportunities and you can run the power play how 8 think they want to.

Nov 1, 2011
#1 unit (D. Sedin setup on the half boards, passes from the half-boards for one-timers, Kassian in front the whole time, Kesler roaming)
Kassian - D. Sedin - Kesler (Kesler takes the draw)
Edler - Weber

#2 unit (puck retrival, point shots, and crash the net)
Booth - Burrows - Setito
Garrison - Bieksa

Feel free to switch Garrison and Edler.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I know it seems black and white to us but the team has actually did PP suggestions i wanted to see and its a humbling experience when it did not work. Although those experiments did not last long.

I would personally have kesler and garrison/edler at the point.

Burrows or kassian around the net and daniel and henrik on the half walls on both sides.

One thing i also notice is alot of good teams like the sharks dont just post someone in front of the net for the tip, its to easy to cover, they have the player around the net roam, and often fall back and rush into the slot for the 1 timer, I think to many times we just park our net front presence and have him stand stationary. Many good teams with top d men have it to easy just covering a stationary player who stands still. That way if sedins also cycle right wall like they enjoy, burrows/kassian can roam to left side as well and back to the net. I just want to see crisp passes and constant movement on the PP.

Last edited:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
The bizarre thing about that whole sequence with Hamhuis is why they would have him, as a left shot, coming down the left side trying to one time a puck coming across his body. Burrows is blindly throwing it over there, if a right shot was there they can open their body up to the pass and make a much simpler shot. It was incredibly frustrating to watch since any of Kesler/Kassian/Bieksa/hell Dalpe should be able to finish those passes much easier.

With everyone healthy you have Henrik on the right half wall, Burrows off to the side in front, Daniel in the high slot, Edler/Garrison up top and Kesler on the weak side. That's when it can be successful. The problem is without all 4 of those forwards (which has been a rarity that all 4 are in the lineup) there isn't anyone to replace them. Personally right now I would like to see Daniel on the half wall, Burrows and the Dman in the same spots, Kesler in the high slot and Kassian on the weak side. That gives both Kesler and Kassian one-time opportunities and you can run the power play how 8 think they want to.

Yep, exactly. I don't think handedness is being emphasized enough here. Most or all of the other top PP's in the league consistently have shooters on their off-side ready to receive/make one-time passes or shots. Hamhuis having to shoot across his body only makes it that much more difficult on that play - which they tried repeatedly. Don't know why it's not more of an issue than it really should be.

Why is Kassian not on that 1st unit already? He has literally everything you want from a guy in that spot to the left of the goal.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
In reaction to the amount of rage spouted at Dan in the GDT for that game: The fact that we had a defensive defenceman not at all known for scoring goals as our "trigger man" on 6 straight minutes of pp time is the galling thing, not that he couldn't finish the pile of gift-wrapped set ups he had.

It's like getting mad that your pet goldfish isn't getting out of its bowl and running laps around your living room.

It wasn't a problem with Hammy -- it was the very epidomy of a coaching mistake.

Last edited:

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
They need someone aggressive on the blueline, when Ehrhoff was here we had a guy who was always moving his feet looking to get open, disrupting defenses. We no longer have anyone with those kinds of instincts and abilities. Our PP is far too static.

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
Dan Hamhuis shouldn't be anywhere near a power play. Period. That being said, I expect the Canucks will know exactly what they have in Schroeder over the next month or so leading up to the trade deadline as I expect he'll get the opportunity of his career both on the power play and in offensive situations in general. No pressure though.....

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
I don't even care much about the power play, as long as is enough to get us in the playoffs. We don't get any opportunities to use it in the post season anyways. Keep up the PK, and I'm happy. :p:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad