David Ebner on Canucks PP Problems

Wetcoaster

As Ebner writes last night's Keystone Cops featurette PP starring Dan Hamhuis was mind-boggling. Canucks continue to struggle on power play in loss to Predators

Alex Burrows, also down low on the other side of the net, got it going fast, flinging a puck across the crease to Hamhuis, but it came in hot and Hamhuis couldn't handle it. Twenty second later, same situation, and Burrows got it to Hamhuis, right on the stick, and Hamhuis was wide open but only put a soft shot on net. The third time, again the same but Hamhuis had a better shot, though in this episode the Nashville goalie made a solid save. The fourth time Burrows flung it across and Hamhuis couldn't reach the pass. The fifth pass came from Daniel Sedin and Hamhuis had to reach for it and shot wide. The sixth try, Sedin put it on Hamhuis's stick and Hamhuis flubbed the shot.​

However it should come as no surprise because none of the Canucks coaches have a history of being able to design and implement a power play.

One reason for the problems, it can be cited, is the lack of previous success of any of the Canucks coaches when it comes to the power play.

This year’s Canucks, led by the suspended John Tortorella, has assistants Mike Sullivan and Glen Gulutzan behind the behind. Gulutzan runs the power play. The Canucks are ranked 25th in the NHL, converting 14.7 per cent of the time, while generating the third-most shots at five-on-four.​

Ebner then goes through the historical numbers:

In Tortorella and Sullivan’s four full seasons in New York, the power play, counting backwards from 2013, was ranked 23rd, 23rd, 18th, and 13th. The past two seasons New York was ranked 27th in shot generation. The best year, 2009-10, they were 19th in shots and converted 18.3 per cent of time.​

And while there was some success in Tampa:
But of six full seasons, three were in the bottom half of the league (twice in the bottom third). The year Tampa won the Stanley Cup, 2003-04, when the team was the third-highest goal scoring team in the league, the power play was 16th ranked converting 16.2 per cent of the time.​

And the assistant coaches? Remember Gulutzan runs the PP for the Canucks:
In Boston, where Sullivan was head coach two seasons, the power play in 2003-04 was 17th ranked converting 16 per cent, and 25th in 2005-06 converting 14.8 per cent.

In Dallas, where Gulutzan was head coach the past two seasons, the power play was 18th with 17 per cent conversion in 2013, and dead last in 2011-12, converting 13.5 per cent of the time, and dead last in shots on goal.​

That noted hockey pundit Albert Einstein once remarked... "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Personally I think the Canucks PP looks the most dangerous with Kesler lurking in the slot (sometimes slightly higher) waiting for the quick shot. Let Kassian play in front of the net on the first PP unit, his presence will make the defenders collapse and give Kesler an extra couple of feet to get his shot off.

Kassian also has the playmaking skills to play with the first unit. It's such an obvious improvement that it reminds me of last season when the old coaching staff refused to play Garrison on the first unit.

Wetcoaster

Personally I think the Canucks PP looks the most dangerous with Kesler lurking in the slot (sometimes slightly higher) waiting for the quick shot. Let Kassian play in front of the net on the first PP unit, his presence will make the defenders collapse and give Kesler an extra couple of feet to get his shot off.

Kassian also has the playmaking skills to play with the first unit. It's such an obvious improvement that it reminds me of last season when the old coaching staff refused to play Garrison on the first unit.
Burrows did a commendable job feeding the back door play - Hamhuis was unable to pull the trigger.

Maybe when Henrik is back go with Burrows and Daniel (or maybe Kassian in place of Daniel) and move Kesler back to man a point where Hamhuis was stationed.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I'd still hire him or try to bring him in as a consultant at least. The biggest problem though is still the personnel.

Stonz

Oct 10, 2006
Burnaby, BC
I'm not sure how much of the problem is coaching.

Newell Brown was considered a mastermind when the powerplay was the best in the league. When the powerplay then went to crap for an extended time, Newell Brown was considered the problem.

This extended powerplay inefficiency has now spanned coaching staffs. I'd say it's more of personnel issue. We lack a true PP QB.

If I have one quibble with the coaching, it's on the constant tinkering with the PP personnel. Pick a group, stick to it, and let them work it out.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Can we bring in someone to ONLY run the powerplay? Someone who has had excellent success at it in the past, someone creative with a proven track record in the new NHL. Or is that essentially what Gulutzan was supposed to be? If so, we should have him fired soon, because he isn't doing his job. We knew Torts and Sullivan couldn't design a powerplay when we brought them in, that's no surprised. Boucher, as others have suggested, would have been an excellent option to coach the powerplay. I'm sure there are others as well.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
they need the big body in front of the net, the time they did it with sestito and it worked.they also need kesler shooting, not blocking the point shots infront of the net.

1st pp should be sestito/kassian in front of the net with hank, daniel, kesler and edler.

2nd should be sestito/kassian in front with hamhuis, garrison, hansen, higgins.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
all three coaches have one thing in common. they don't know how to fix the powerplay. reading the article, clearly they need a new pp coach or something. consultant. you can change the players on the ice all u want and the powerplay would still suck.

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
Funny how Newell Brown joins the Coyotes and their PP% is 9th. Not saying he is the only reason but he did orchestrate the top PP in the league for 2 straight seasons.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I'm not sure how much of the problem is coaching.

Newell Brown was considered a mastermind when the powerplay was the best in the league. When the powerplay then went to crap for an extended time, Newell Brown was considered the problem.

This extended powerplay inefficiency has now spanned coaching staffs. I'd say it's more of personnel issue. We lack a true PP QB.

If I have one quibble with the coaching, it's on the constant tinkering with the PP personnel. Pick a group, stick to it, and let them work it out.

Exactly. Any PP where Dalpe is on the 2nd unit is going to struggle. Lack of depth + ungodly amount of injuries = garbage offense.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I'm not sure if it's 100% personnel... I think a chunk of the issues are mental.

The biggest difference between the Canucks and the top PP teams is how slow the Canucks figure out the play and move the puck.... nothing else.

They are just sooooo slooooowwwww at setting up that by the time they do the other team is in perfect position.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Funny how Newell Brown joins the Coyotes and their PP% is 9th. Not saying he is the only reason but he did orchestrate the top PP in the league for 2 straight seasons.

Brown was never the problem, it is just that fans chose to blame him.

1. The PP tanked after Kesler got hurt in 11-12 and we had 0 zero other RH shots.
2. Missing a PP QB (Ehrhoff)

Maybe the current coaches are the problem or maybe they are getting scapegoated the way Brown got scapegoated. I can't blame the coach for the PP failing to generate quality chances against the Preds because it did generate chances, the players just had zero finish. Maybe blame the coaches for choosing Hamhuis, maybe it's just bad luck. None the less I'd like to see a consultant brought in.

Gillis needs to get proactive in these areas the way he was when he first arrived.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Put Sedins down low Kassian parked in front and Kesler with Edler at the point to feed each other one timers

Most annoying is watching their puck retrieval on the powerplay, just brutal

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
The Sedins and Dan Hamhuis are a gaping black hole of any potential offense on the power play. They are HORRIBLE. Pass pass weak shot. Wow a minor hockey team could defend that ****.

No Sedins or Hamhuis on the first unit please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad