Player Discussion David Desharnais: Yet another thread edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
As bad as little DD is. What will hurt the team far more is Plekanics poor play, and his two year 12 million dollar extension. DD will play out his 3.5 and be gone doing no real harm.
DD is actually a better 3rd line center than Plekanic. As we all witnessed when 51 was allowed to play there.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
He's one of the best Quebec born forwards in the NHL so it's not reasonable to believe he'll be moved until there is a better homegrown talent in the system. Hudon looks promising but it's pretty sad they missed out on drafting Duclair (as opposed to going off the board with Crisp) and let PAP go without giving him a proper shot (would be better offensive choice than Weise in top 6).

Top 10 forwards by points:
Bergeron: 45 points
Brassard: 39 points
Huberdeau: 37 points
Ribeiro: 33 points
Perreault: 33 points
Duclair: 26 points
PAP: 26 points
Perron: 24 points
Desharnais: 24 points
Vermette: 21 points

Surprisingly unimpressive.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
DD is actually a better 3rd line center than Plekanic. As we all witnessed when 51 was allowed to play there.

not only is your spelling wrong but so is this statement.

Plekanec plays a very responsible two-way game and would be one of the best third line centers in the league if he played on a roster deep enough to allow that.

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
I honestly think the only reason we are seeing DD in top 6 as a center and Galch at wing has more to do with how thin we are on wing vs DD being the better choice at center over Galch. Just my take, regardless I do wish DD contract was expiring this year...we need to get better up the middle.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I honestly think the only reason we are seeing DD in top 6 as a center and Galch at wing has more to do with how thin we are on wing vs DD being the better choice at center over Galch. Just my take, regardless I do wish DD contract was expiring this year...we need to get better up the middle.

Even then....

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher
Pacioretty - Eller - Andrighetto

That should be our top 6 right now.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
As bad as little DD is. What will hurt the team far more is Plekanics poor play, and his two year 12 million dollar extension. DD will play out his 3.5 and be gone doing no real harm.

Plekanec is better than Desharnais....everywhere.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I understand we don't have much backup plans at the moment, but by DD's play lately, I'd scratch him.

(that probably involves calling up a player from St-John's though)

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
I understand we don't have much backup plans at the moment, but by DD's play lately, I'd scratch him.

(that probably involves calling up a player from St-John's though)

It would also have to involve a coach that isn't biologically related to Davey, forget about Therrien ever considering scratching him, he's a first liner in the coaches eyes.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It would also have to involve a coach that isn't biologically related to Davey, forget about Therrien ever considering scratching him, he's a first liner in the coaches eyes.

Last time MT scratched DD, it worked pretty good for both DD and the team.

Though by then, MT was probably not the least concerned about his job security.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Last time MT scratched DD, it worked pretty good for both DD and the team.

Though by then, MT was probably not the least concerned about his job security.

Davey was scratched only because he came home later than curfew one night, nothing to do with on ice performance. Michel was worried sick about his young'un.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I dont understand the love for Desharnais.
He gets outplayed, outmuscled, outscored at every shift, yet he's still at NHL #1 center. Scott Gomez never got spared like this. DD should NOT be in the NHL.

Don't give me a reason because he's FRENCH. That's racist.

I like DD but it has nothing to do with him being from Quebec. In fact, I'm from New Brunswick and live in Ontario so I couldn't care less where he's from. He's a relatively talented player who does pretty well considering his size disadvantage. He can make some pretty nice plays from time to time and even though he get's out muscled, it often leads to a penalty for the other team. He was undrafted and we got him for free which is also nice. He's usually pretty good in the faceoff circle as well.

That being said, I'm not a fan of the way he gets deployed and how he is the coach's favorite but neither of those things have to do with the player himself. On a third line exploitation role, he's proven that he can be extremely useful and can produce while playing with below average players. He seems to work harder as well. Overall, he could have been a much better player throughout his career if he was simply put in his niche role but the coach's insistence to use him as a top flight center hinders the team and even the player himself.

I know people are gonna criticize this post a lot but that's just the way I see it. I still think we should trade him but his value is probably non existent given the team's play as of late.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
DD is actually a better 3rd line center than Plekanic. As we all witnessed when 51 was allowed to play there.[/QUOTE]

DD had a 15 game stretch where he was really good. however, this lie fabricated by the media that he was used as a third lien center is complete hogwash.

How many third line centers are used on the powerplay as much as DD was? he had 6 points in his 7 points in his first 13 games. 2 of which were on the powerplay.

His TOI for example in the first 20 games was 14.57

in comparaison Galchenyuk was 14:19

sure its not a big difference but it goes to show that the whoel third line center is a myth.

Eller had an ice time of 13:28

and Dale weise had an ice time of 14:08

if you remove the PK ice time for eller his average was 12:55

This is in the first 20 games. when everyone was saying that desharnais was on third line.

DD has always been a top 2 center for this team. enough with these lies about 3rd line C

Also this season, Pacioretty has scored 1 goals playign with DD (yesterday) in 16 games.

He has 0 goals in 3 games with Chucky ( no chemistry M.T )

and has 19 goals in 35 games playign with plek

All we hear is how plek is struggling and is invisible etc etc yet he has 40 points already and is on pace for 60. but he was struggling for about 15 games
( like the whole team was) and was absolutely trashed on antichambre

but DD has what 5 points in his last 20 games and not a word by the media. 7 points in his last 32 games

Last edited:

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I like those lines. And Fleish-DD-Weise on the 3rd couldn't be bad either.

Why the coach doesn't go back to this I will never understand. They were all in the top 30 in the league for points produced per minute before MT split them up. In front of guys like Benn even.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
DD is actually a better 3rd line center than Plekanic. As we all witnessed when 51 was allowed to play there.[/QUOTE]

DD had a 15 game stretch where he was really good. however, this lie fabricated by the media that he was used as a third lien center is complete hogwash.

How many third line centers are used on the powerplay as much as DD was? he had 6 points in his 7 points in his first 13 games. 2 of which were on the powerplay.

His TOI for example in the first 20 games was 14.57

in comparaison Galchenyuk was 14:19

sure its not a big difference but it goes to show that the whoel third line center is a myth.

Eller had an ice time of 13:28

and Dale weise had an ice time of 14:08

if you remove the PK ice time for eller his average was 12:55

This is in the first 20 games. when everyone was saying that desharnais was on third line.

DD has always been a top 2 center for this team. enough with these lies about 3rd line C

Ignore the line numbers though. He was effective in that role and it's not like he was playing with stars either. They were probably designated 3rd line but their good play earned them a bump in ice time (as it should have). I do think Therrien mismanaged the situation a bit with his frequent Eller and Chucky benching but you can't say DD's ice time was undeserved.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I never once said that. I said Galch is not Duchesne+Iginla, or the likes.
Eller's numbers were good, actually. Of course, this depends on your expectations.
Eller with Galch-Semin were used as the 3rd line. Eller put up 10pts in 25gp. That's about a 35pt pace. I'm not quite sure what you expect from a 3rd line winger if those are bad numbers for you.

Eller wasn't used as a 3rd line player. That's so fustrating with people who defend Eller all the time. When they want to bash DD they say he gets 1st line minutes by playing with Pacioretty. When you point out he plays 2nd line minutes then oh no, TOI doesn't count. Eller got to play with Galchenyuk, high number of ozone starts and weak QoC. Don't tell me those aren't quality minutes. Eller was 11th among regular forwards at Pts/60 and dead last among forwards in+/-. Given he played with Galchenyuk and the extremely favorable deployment that's bad.

You omitted info, it's just the same to me.

Oh ok, I didn't mention Eller played wing. How terrible is that. Like somebody on the board isn't aware of that already.

Here's what a poster asked you:

To which you responded:

So you see. Someone asked you if you thought Eller would produce more with the likes of Iginla and Duchesne (among other talented players), and you responded by saying ''clearly not'' because he played with Galch and his production didn't rise.

Pretty obvious there was an indirect comparison made by you between those guys and Galch.

He played with Galchenyuk, got a bunch of ozone starts, weak QoC and not only did his numbers not rise, they were about to be down from what he did playing with Bourque and who have you on that third line. I really don't see where I say Galchenyuk=Duchene. What this means is that he got extremely favorable deployment and played with a very good offensive center. From that his numbers didn't rise at all and almost went down. Is there a sign of evidence on there that suggests that Eller does better with better players? No not at all. If anything it only reinforces the notion that Eller doesn't use his teammates and that no matter who plays besides him, he'll get the same numbers. Also, I think you have to be incredibly dishonest to take from that post that I suggest Galchenyuk=Duchene.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
I can't believe that the Habs have been stuck with Desharnais anywhere near the top two lines for so long.

What is Bergevin waiting for? Does he truly ever want this team to compete? If you are trying to build through the draft and you can't find anybody in the system to knock Desharnais out of the lineup then you ought to look the trade route or free agency because it really is beyond word.

The only word that is suitable is pathetic. And it simply doesn't do the whole mess justice

Mad Brills*

Coach's son gets more ice time because lol.

I can't believe that the Habs have been stuck with Desharnais anywhere near the top two lines for so long.

What is Bergevin waiting for? Does he truly ever want this team to compete? If you are trying to build through the draft and you can't find anybody in the system to knock Desharnais out of the lineup then you ought to look the trade route or free agency because it really is beyond word.

The only word that is suitable is pathetic. And it simply doesn't do the whole mess justice

Bergevin has too much rispek for this coach. Remember, he wants his best friends as his country club.

Last edited by a moderator:

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Ignore the line numbers though. He was effective in that role and it's not like he was playing with stars either. They were probably designated 3rd line but their good play earned them a bump in ice time (as it should have). I do think Therrien mismanaged the situation a bit with his frequent Eller and Chucky benching but you can't say DD's ice time was undeserved.

I am not the one that mentioned line numbers. I was merely pointing out the fact that this was never the case.

and the ultimate point is this.

Say we land our top center.

or another top 3 winger. and for arguments sake... lets call him Toews.

and the top 6 would look liek this.

Pacioretty-Toews- Gallagher

Chcuky-Plek- (Ghetto/Scherbak/FA) cuz it wont be Weise

do you then have Eller as a third lien center... or DD.

I cant see DD getting much TOI on the PP

How would he fit in

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Since the start of November

Desharnais: 15 points in 42gp avg 16:48 TOI

Eller 12 points in 42gp avg 15:04 TOI

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Because Habs catter to the media, and in turn the predominantly French sports media catters to us francophones. Not that most francophones care if a player/management is French, but the media probably has numbers on that which shows ratings are better with French content. It's all about the money, the profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad