Player Discussion David Desharnais: Yet another thread edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Surely to God you are not implying that we could get a top 6 forward in exchange for DD are you? You mean another player could be traded and we put DD on waivers right?

He said "he could be dealt to make room for a top 6 forward" which does not mean DD would return a top 6 forward. Just dealt for a late pick would make room.

But I doubt DD would be dealt by MB

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Fact is Therrien will be happy with Desharnais if he gets 8 points in the remaining 30 games.

His hot start bought him a whole season of goodwill.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Fact is Therrien will be happy with Desharnais if he gets 8 points in the remaining 30 games.

His hot start bought him a whole season of goodwill.

I hope this season gets them both a ticket out of town but I know it won't happen and both will be back next season.. :cry:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Doesn't matter how experienced McDavid is. Nobody would argue that you're playing with a poor player just because he's learning to play in the NHL. When you're good, you're good. Doesn't matter if there are other better players in the NHL at the position. Galchenyuk is a good offensive center in the NHL. Christ, people want Therrien's head for not playing him there. Always makes me laugh when I see people arguing in the Galchenyuk thread that Alex is ready for a much bigger role on the team and has shown he can handle more duties but then go on in the Eller thread saying Galchenyuk is still a noob at center. Anyways, fine I have no problem taking in context that Eller was playing a new position. But don't tell me that Galchenyuk playing center is a reason Eller's numbers weren't good. If you had to pick 1 center on the team. Pick whoever you want, Plek, DD, Subban, Price ok doesn't matter. Who would you want as your centerman to score points? and I mean only score points. Nevermind the defense and other parts of the game. My choice would be Galchenyuk. Despite all that, Eller's numbers weren't good at all.
I never once said that. I said Galch is not Duchesne+Iginla, or the likes.
Eller's numbers were good, actually. Of course, this depends on your expectations.
Eller with Galch-Semin were used as the 3rd line. Eller put up 10pts in 25gp. That's about a 35pt pace. I'm not quite sure what you expect from a 3rd line winger if those are bad numbers for you.

People (including you) have been telling me for years that zone starts and QoC matter a great deal in production. Well, Eller had incredible deployment in those aspects of the game. Not only that but he had Galchenyuk at center. Fine you argue he's playing a new position that's one thing but don't tell me we shouldn't expect more from a supposed offensive player given those minutes.
Actually I always said and still say that everything matters. Not just one or two metrics. QoC, Zone Starts, Deployment, QoT, everything. It doesn't mean that if you play Torrey Mitchell as a first line winger he'll produce 50-60pts, everything is relative to their natural talent too.
The people who wanted to see Eller get more opportunities wanted to do it because they weren't sure just where his potential would cap.

Find me the part where I report false numbers and then you can compare me to Berkshire.

You omitted info, it's just the same to me.

Find me the part where I say Duchene=Galchenyuk.
Here's what a poster asked you:
Eller scored 15 goals as a third center last season, imagine if he had the chance to play with players like Iginla, Mackinnon, Landerskog, Duchesne from time to time like Mitchell... you think he would get more points?
To which you responded:
clearly not. We just say him play with Galchenyuk against weak competition and a bunch of ozone starts. Production didn't go up one bit and +/- went down.

So you see. Someone asked you if you thought Eller would produce more with the likes of Iginla and Duchesne (among other talented players), and you responded by saying ''clearly not'' because he played with Galch and his production didn't rise.

Pretty obvious there was an indirect comparison made by you between those guys and Galch.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
DD has skills but he should never be a center for a Top two line in the NHL. His ideal place should be on the left wing on the second line.

Max - Plek - Gally

DD - Chucky - Fleisch

Getto - Eller - Weise

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
DD has skills but he should never be a center for a Top two line in the NHL. His ideal place should be on the left wing on the second line.

Max - Plek - Gally

DD - Chucky - Fleisch

Getto - Eller - Weise

Ghetto Eller Weise as a shutdown line?

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

Max - Plek - Gally

DD - Chucky - Fleisch

Getto - Eller - Weise

Desharnais' only possible role is to play 12-13 min. and provide secondary scoring from the 3rd line on a team where the top 6 can handle most of the hard minutes.

That's the only role he can play if you expect to win. Anything else is asking for disaster.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Unless we are.converting him to wing, Dd has no.future with the Habs. Galchenyuk at wing might mean Dd for another 5 years

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
7 points in his last 17 regular season games last year
3 points in 11 games in last year's Playoffs
24 points in 54 games so far this season.

So it's 34 points in the last 82 NHL games for Desharnais.
27 ES points and 7 PP points.

Not only a stretch anymore...

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
7 points in his last 17 regular season games last year
3 points in 11 games in last year's Playoffs
24 points in 54 games so far this season.

So it's 34 points in the last 82 NHL games for Desharnais.
27 ES points and 7 PP points.

Not only a stretch anymore...

And Eller has 26 ES pts in his last 82 pts but apparently Eller is nowhere near DD offensively.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
And Eller has 26 ES pts in his last 82 pts but apparently Eller is nowhere near DD offensively.

Again, what's the point of comparing Eller and Desharnais? Two very different players.

But then again, you are right... Eller is pretty much near Desharnais offensively: not good enough for top 6 duties.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Ghetto Eller Weise as a shutdown line?

Yep pretty much. Eller and Weise brings size and some physicallity, Getto doesn't mind the rough stuff. Eller as third line center, it's his role. Weise shouldn't be higher than on the third line. DD cannot be a shut down center either.

Last edited:

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Again, what's the point of comparing Eller and Desharnais? Two very different players.

But then again, you are right... Eller is pretty much near Desharnais offensively: not good enough for top 6 duties.

Just want to point out the misconception that DD is miles away ahead of Eller offensively.

And agreed with the 2nd part.

This team doesn't need DD. We can just get rid of him for free like on waivers and we won't see the difference. We would actually be a better team short, medium and long term.

That won't happen so right now, the only spot for him is on Eller's wing.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Just want to point out the misconception that DD is miles away ahead of Eller offensively.

What misconception? Both players have very limited offensive upside.

Desharnais will sometime put up good numbers (emphasis on sometimes), but that's usually detrimental to the team as a whole because of deployement, too much PP and such.

What would Eller do with these minutes? Probably the same. I don't even see what's the point of insisting on 'what if' scenarios where Eller became an elite top 6 center under a different coach.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

And agreed with the 2nd part.

This team doesn't need DD. We can just get rid of him for free like on waivers and we won't see the difference. We would actually be a better team short, medium and long term.

That won't happen so right now, the only spot for him is on Eller's wing.

Remove DD, and the Habs roster will have zero French Canadian players.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

It's actually a very good comparison.

Eller, as we saw in the past and as we're seeing now, is at it's best where he is (3rd line C).

The comparison shows DD produces at more or less the same rate (ES) as our 3rd line C, same coach and same system, except DD does not provide the defensive play, forecheck or board play our actual 3rd line C does, and while not providing any of this he also requires better linemates, more TOI and to be used in more offensive situations.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Somehow, I don't think that Torrey Mitchell and Mark Barberio have as much marketing potential as David Desharnais does, or even Lapierre, Latendresse, did.

they don't cause they're ignored by the medias. NO ONE in the medias said "yé un gars de chez nous" when we acquired Mitchell last season. Sad considering the guy is 100% de chez nous.

Even the Habs organisation is not using them as "locals" in any promos or events.

AllanMTL46

Aug 19, 2011
Ste-Agathe, Lotb.

I don't see why they shouldn't be compared. People are saying DD should be a third liner, and it's legit to say Eller is a better third liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad