David Desharnais - Part VII - Macaroni Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chacal667

Jul 14, 2012
Montreal
I don't understand why the mods closed the thread ''DD must go'' where it say that DD suck on the first post, because it is the exact same thing here.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
The worst thing is that I don't even thing DD is a bad goal scorer even if I make the count of his non 5on5 goal streak. He just doesn't try enough.

And that's exactly why I want him to be separated from Pacioretty because he makes that line too predictable by refusing to shoot or place himself in a position to score.

This is not correct at all. Goal scorers naturally look to shoot, it's just ingrained. Most Good centers have this instinct along with the skill to pass when its's a better option.

But I think the first sign of a good offensive player is the desire to score goals. Because of this, I think DD is not in fact a very good offensive player at all.

And before you mention Joe Thornton, I actually think he's a bit of a problem too because of his low goal scoring, and that this is one of the reasons sharks never quite get there. BUT: He is amazing on assists, much better than DD, and is much bigger obviously. So DD is basically a Thornton without size and half the assists.

In other words, DD is almost useless at no 1 C. He is NOT a good offensive center, at all. And he will never suddenly become a goal scorer. He does not have the instinct.

Last edited:

habitue*

Lots of posters on this board will go insane if DD is traded... So much time on their hands and no one to bash.

They wil find another one. For sure.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
It's interesting to note that Desharnais was not always a lazy coaster. He waa once a hard worker, but years of the Habs organization giving him everything for free have made him lazy. All he does now is sit around, fall on his ass, and wait for Pacioretty to get open.

In his first AHL season, Desharnais actually had inferior production to Ben Maxwell, a second round pick who is tall and is two years younger than DD. In the following year Maxwell was pushed aside in favour of developing Desharnais. He is now in the KHL scoring at a high clip.

Since then, the Habs have given Desharnais everything again at the expense of other players. Plekanec had to play with Ryan White and Brad Staubitz, and later Brian Gionta and Rene Bourque, eventually he forgot how to pass. Pacioretty has forgotten how to pass. Gallagher has forgotten how to pass. Eller is 25 years old and still being held back. Now we're seeing the best Habs player in decades, Alex Galchenyuk, being developed as a winger in order to accommodate Desharnais.

Enough is enough. It's bad asset management to gave this parasite coddled, and it's bad for DD as well.

See, I don't think we actually really have to go at that extent. That some players FORGOT to pass because of DD. And as if a guy like Maxwell, who's actually an all-star, lost his spot in the NHL also because of DD. Hey, he's a great KHL'er, it has to mean that he's an incredible NHL'er. Guess what Nigel Daws and Dustin Boyd also are great offensive KHL'er. Let's get them...oh wait, we once had them....That's overdoing it. And yet, while the idea that DD isn't at his place makes TOTAL sense, we then have to debate the fact that Desharnais also doesn't killed babies.....I know that TONS have been said....but you really don't need to invent things like that to try to be imaginative. There is a limit. Staubitz wasn't a regular on a Plekanec line. And while Gionta was, he still was a 20+ goal scorer, and while the REAL point was that Plekanec could have had more points with a better winger, Plekanec still couldn't lose his pass abilities. And all those NHL players who now forget how to pass because of that one player.

Does Therrien needs to stop playing DD on the first PP unit? Absolutely. Does we need to see DD and Pacioretty separated? Yep. All this is true. Yet again, you don't get a message through by inventing stuff like that....

lxzred

Sep 10, 2008
Victoria
Lots of posters on this board will go insane if DD is traded... So much time on their hands and no one to bash.

They wil find another one. For sure.

I'm going to go crazy this week. No Habs games and nothing to read on hfBoards but DD bashing (an I'm a DD basher) and DD defending. Going to have to find somewhere else to browse for the week.

Go Habs Go

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Like the best season Eric Cole played with Eric Staal ? oh wait, it wasn't with Staal, it was with DD :sarcasm:

Yeah. No. Cole put up basically the same numbers with Staal in 60 games instead of 82 with DD. Another time in 71 games instead of 82... Cole had a season where he was PPG with Staal.

Better luck next time.:)

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Like the best season Eric Cole played with Eric Staal ? oh wait, it wasn't with Staal, it was with DD :sarcasm:

We all know how Cole scores his goals in the NHL. He doesn't need his center that much.

Cole scored only 3 goals in 19 games after his 35g season and got traded despite playing with DD again.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Of course, let's hide DD's mediocrity behind other's success....that is the #1 excuse from those who like DD. What makes you think it's DD and not Pacioretty that dragged Cole into his best season?

But if Cole's is (also) a product of DD....i guess the fact that Cole sucked hard the year after that must be also link to DD? Or it only applied one way?

Or it might be what we keep saying for a very long time...USAGE.

Cole never been used before and since then on a pure offensive line, with top PP minutes and top O-zone start....NEVER....cause Staal, unlike DD, don't need to be sheltered like a 18yo kid coming out of junior to be an effective hockey player.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Whitesnake,

There is no denying that Staubitz-Plekanec-White was a very stupid line though it may have led to Galchenyuk. There is also no denying that it's a representive omen of sone of what we witnessed over the years.

Plekanec used to be a playmaker who would somehow score 20 goals. After years of playing with Lapierre, Staubitz, Bourque, etc his passing ability decreased and he was seen as more of a goal scorer. It got so bad that as recently as this summer some posters actually believed that Plekanec had inferior vision to DD, just as many now believe about Eller. This year he and Gallagher are using their linemates more.

The same can be said about Pacioretty. Fans used to call him Pass-oretty. Not anymore, he rarely gets assists now which means that he is a predictable player.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Cole was scoring 1 goal every 2 games his best season with Staal.... Just think about it. DD doesn't even have 1 point every 2 games this season...

We're talking about DD's peak year when he played with Cole. He's 3 years older than his peak, he's less feisty, less agressive... You're basically comparing a different player. Penner put up 63 points. Then at 27 year old he put 39 points and it was downhill from there...

Lots of players were great 3 seasons ago. DD was a bottom third First Line Center 3 season ago. He'll never ever be close to that good.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Whitesnake,

There is no denying that Staubitz-Plekanec-White was a very stupid line though it may have led to Galchenyuk. There is also no denying that it's a representive omen of sone of what we witnessed over the years.

Plekanec used to be a playmaker who would somehow score 20 goals. After years of playing with Lapierre, Staubitz, Bourque, etc his passing ability decreased and he was seen as more of a goal scorer. It got so bad that as recently as this summer some posters actually believed that Plekanec had inferior vision to DD, just as many now believe about Eller. This year he and Gallagher are using their linemates more.

The same can be said about Pacioretty. Fans used to call him Pass-oretty. Not anymore, he rarely gets assists now which means that he is a predictable player.

Well if the idea behind your post was that those guys don't have as many points because of the wingers they played with, or in Pacioretty's case, because he plays with DD who just refused to shoot, than, you are right. But they do not forget how to play the game because of DD. Not happening.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Well if the idea behind your post was that those guys don't have as many points because of the wingers they played with, or in Pacioretty's case, because he plays with DD who just refused to shoot, than, you are right. But they do not forget how to play the game because of DD. Not happening.
People can pick up bad habits over time.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

they dont, but they adjust to their linemates and they develop new habits.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Is their a stat somewhere for scoring chances? I'm so sick of the well this pass was off a skate so it's not a real assist when there's lots of beautiful passes that don't become assists.

If people want to upgrade Desharnais, I can 100% respect your decision. Getting into stupid crap like that proves you have an agenda though.

At least Pyretta isn't scared to hates Desharnais and hates when he finds the scoreboard.

There's the ****ing word again. You've been asked by multiple posters to stop using it. It is sneakily political and devious. There is no agenda, OK?

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
With my posting summary, no sarcasm smiley is necessary.

To be honest, I'm completely disgusted by the people who say that Galchenyuk should be developed as a winger. They're so attached to DD having privileges that they want to undermine the career of the most talented Habs forward in decades.

Except no one is really saying this. It's a strawman.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
they dont, but they adjust to their linemates and they develop new habits.

Yet, there are other linemates on that DD line. That Pacioretty can pass the puck to. And Plekanec did play with Gionta who he could pass the puck to. Again, it DOES explain the lack of production. But it doesn't explain the total stoppage in knowing how to pass a puck. I just don't agree.

Again, everything else right now is true. It's not going how it should have been going so far this year for DD to prove that he belongs where he is being played. But he's not going to be blamed for NHL top players "forgetting" to pass the puck. Those players have the PP they can "practice" their passing. They have linemates they also could do it. And as a matter of fact, Pacioretty could still pass the puck to DD. He just should never expect to get an assist out of it....

That's actually a big problem for DD. His refusal to shoot is downright stupid. And I just can't believe he wasn't told to do it more. At this rate, the situation will fix itself. But it will probably come a litte later than it should. Again, never was I saying that DD was an incredible player. But just I'm going to "defend" the fact that he's not, by himself, making the team bad. Making teamates forget how to pass and so on. There is an extent I'm not going to go to.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I'm in the "Galchenyuk is looking great on the wing, why move him to C and therefore create a hole on W camp". He may be ready, but I don't know why we would move a guy that is on pace to have a break out season at W, just so we can claim we finally have a #1C. And I'm not sure who replaces him and how that will effect a line that is playing incredibly well.

I'm also in the "C is a tough position to play, and I'm not sure I want Glachenyuk to be the last man out of the D zone and I'm not sure he is good enough in the faceoff dot yet" camp. My opinion has nothing to do with DD, it comes from playing the game my whole life and watching other young C's struggle. I think he is getting an amazing opportunity right now to play with one of the best two way centres in the league, and would rather see AG leading the rush and pleks doing the work down low and winning draws.

Lastly, I'm in the "who gives a feck what position he plays as long as he gets lots of minutes with good players".

None of the the above have anything to do with DD, I don't fall in love with players on the team and try to view the team as a whole.

Still waiting for someone to make a compelling argument as to why we should move a guy that is breaking out, playing with great players, off a line and throw him into the fire at C.

You won't get that here, you'll get more DD flaming and nothing else.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
A lot of people have brought up Guy Lafleur and Marian Hossa.

They want Galchenyuk to be developed as a winger because that will buy DD time.

No, they are saying there is no rush and no need to do this at the current moment, and they're right that there is no guarantee that Gally is ever moved to center, whether DD is on the roster or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad