David Desharnais - Black or White Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Strange that in a deep analysis of what the future has to look like for the Habs, that Bergevin saw DD in it. A team with the future in mind, would have made Pleks-Galchenyuk-Eller your first 3 centermen. Still don't understand the term. Or at least the combination money-term wasn't good when it happened....Surely doesn't look better now.

Good post WS, as usual. I can only think that Bergy has a plan for DD that we cannot see.

I like DD as team player, and as a tough little guy, so that is fine. Otherwise, I cannot fathom the signing either. I will trust in Bergy for now, but if DD plays like this in the PO, my fuse starts to burn.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I find it odd that you are complaining about Therrien and his decisions with Ryder in a Desharnais thread.

So now that you've made your opinion known on Ryder, Bourque, and what lines they should play on, what do you think of Desharnais' play this season. What line should he play on?

I like this post. Good clear style. Well done.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
It's such ******** and it applies to lots of players. For some, he really doesn't have a choice, cuz there's no one in their position playing better. With DD, today, not being demoted is proof that MT is full of doggy doo doo and I'm starting to really not like how he's revealing himself to be just a PR stunt. Definitely been a good coach, but his mantras are for the public.

Consider that he benched Eller after a 2-1 Toronto loss. No, think about that score for a second. And said Eller was the only one who wasn't putting in effort (which he was). It was an excuse (mm hmmm) to change his lines up to put Chucky in at centre. Yeah Eller responded, but that's not at all why MT benched him, it was for his own line juggling. Also if it DID show a positive result for Eller, uh...why not bench your worst center?

I have always supported DD, but this season, particularly lately, he's been crap. Most of all, he's cost us some huge goals defensively. I always thought he was a humble dude, but when I saw him on AC dressed like a 70s pimp or some psychedelic leprechaun, he rubbed me the wrong way as if he was gods gift to the Habs. Then the contract. I thought he'd be like Pleky, and play even harder, but no. Pisses me off, cuz DD has the ability to school big talented players, but he's just playing like garbage. Doesn't help that Pacioretty sucks too right now. (BTW, any idea why Rosehill was so pissed at him?)

MT can resolve this by giving the Eller line more ice time than DDs since he's not changing anything even though AC said it's time to break it up. Even they can see it's not working and they want what's best for the team for once. Give Chucky a few more minutes and I'm sure him and Eller will put up more goals. They always make something happen.

preference for DD or maybe... MT is afraid of going "all rookies", I mean, his best forwards for the last couple of weeks are Gallager, Eller and Galchenyuk, the experienced one being a 23 years old.

NHLFutureGuy3

Aug 22, 2008
Good post WS, as usual. I can only think that Bergy has a plan for DD that we cannot see.

I like DD as team player, and as a tough little guy, so that is fine. Otherwise, I cannot fathom the signing either. I will trust in Bergy for now, but if DD plays like this in the PO, my fuse starts to burn.

Totally agree. If Desharnais somehow steps up in the playoffs, I will be the first one to eat crow and call Bergy a genius. I will say "Maybe in his wisdom, he saw something in him that I wasn't able to". The thing is that small, skill, finesse guys like him are usually bullied in the playoffs and their production goes down.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
Totally agree. If Desharnais somehow steps up in the playoffs, I will be the first one to eat crow and call Bergy a genius. I will say "Maybe in his wisdom, he saw something in him that I wasn't able to". The thing is that small, skill, finesse guys like him are usually bullied in the playoffs and their production goes down.

I don't question the contract as much, there isn't a NTC included and the cap hit is very tolerable. He's easily tradeable.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I have no doubt at all that if Desharnais has a strong playoffs or stong start to his season next year that Bergevin will be able to unload him easily at one point in the next year.

If he has a strong PO why would you unload him? If he has a weak PO how do you unload him? Have you read the Joe Heller novel Catch 22 by any chance? You seem to be...missing something.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Risk the playoffs? This year was written off when Bergevin decided that this team was not good enough to go all the way this year and KEPT his draft picks in his pocket.

The biggest problem I see with that decision, which I support is that the leafs have found a way to also not give up anything at the deadline and be a very very good team. Full props to them (not for their goonery, but solid team play, making Reimer seem like an NHL goalie). We have regressed, while they have found their stride (without Lupul :help:).

The issue now is that we wanted to do well these playoffs, at least better than the leafs and possibly Boston. Now, with Emelin gone, it seems we're in for a huge humiliation, which is unacceptable. That ONE injury crushed what was otherwise a good gameplan by MB, and he couldn't anticipate it/shouldn't have tried an insurance top4 (aka a rock solid 5th who would have cost us). We'll look back in a few years and be thankful. Just think McDo.

I would like it if he himself came back down to the locker room to tell this team to get it's **** together if we lose another two games. We'll have lost the division by then so it'll be the leafs and possibly we won't have home ice. I don't know what it takes to get the under-performers going, but maybe he could show up in a toga and give a rousing speech. No wait, that would be for the Sens.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I don't see DD going anywhere until the summer of 2014. If you move him out then you have Plekanec and 2 #3 centers, neither Galchenyuk or Eller are ready to center a top 2 line right now. No need to throw them in that situation.

Chucky will be ready for no. 2 C after Christmas next year. Want to bet 20 bucks on it? I'm in. Where does that leave DD? NOWHERE.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Baffling is also a good word for a lot of people on this board who regularly defend David Desharnais.

Some people don't see how strange it is that he is getting all of this playing time playing like bad when this was supposed to be the no excuses season. Extremely baffling.

It took a long time for Habs to give up on Gomer. Good NHL teams support their players, as they should. But the clock is ticking, and the first guy who knows this is DD.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
Chucky will be ready for no. 2 C after Christmas next year. Want to bet 20 bucks on it? I'm in. Where does that leave DD? NOWHERE.

With the improvement Chuckie has shown this season I think he can take the role of Desharnais next year. Sheltered minutes with the team's best wingers, he's going to have to work on his faceoffs though.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
You're twisting words. I've openly said he deserves a demotion to a lower line.

I've disagreed on the notion that he needs to be moved. I defend him but never demanded he get great wingers or 1st line minutes. I haven't seen anyone say that.

So before you paint people with your dramatic brush remember no one said that he should get these minutes or should stay on PP.

So ya, baffling indeed. Keep dramatizing everything then call it baffling.

As with Gomez, the defenses get weaker, and weaker, and weaker.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
preference for DD or maybe... MT is afraid of going "all rookies", I mean, his best forwards for the last couple of weeks are Gallager, Eller and Galchenyuk, the experienced one being a 23 years old.

he could also have had a talk with DD and maybe he comes out gangbusters next game. Who knows. We've been hoping for that for the past 10. I really wish the ***** Habs entourage would ask him something like that. Something fair like:

"Lars Eller (and Galchenyuk) seems to be your best offensive center next to Plekanec, do you think it would send a message to the other players if you promoted him or gave his line second line minutes similar to the effect of benching him?"

I would LOVE to hear his answer to that. Then again, he'd just wipe his eyes for 5 minutes and just reply, "No."

Therrien 2.0 - Meritocracy faker. I hope he just knows what he's doing and we finish the season miraculously in second. I think a lot will depend on that game with Bos-Ott, which I've heard might even be canceled. Obviously, understand the circumstances (but we're talking strictly hockey right now), but they have to play that game - make it a back to back for one of the teams (like the bruins haven't had a good sched!). You can't just GIVE the bruins the division. Oh wait...it's the NHL, you can.

If they do scrap it, do they each get 1pt? Or just one GP less? Doesn't just affect Boston and us and the leafs. Ott is in there too.

Best thing is for this to be our crap week (with it ending NOW) and the leafs getting all pumped up only to fizzle right when the playoffs start with us learning from this...déboire.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
This is getting ridiculous, what has he done recently? Therrien is just a hypocrite what happened to being accountable for your actions? What happened to him saying that if you play well you'll get more ice time? And when Desharnais will get the odd secondary assist people are going to be quick to point it out.

Habs players are not stupid. They like DD and they want him to get over this hurdle. They know he has to, or he is toast. He works hard, and he has immense talent. They respect him.

But this can only continue for so long. When the team knows they can contend, they will make it clear that there are no more free rides. That could come as soon as next spring. We will see.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Risk the playoffs? This year was written off when Bergevin decided that this team was not good enough to go all the way this year and KEPT his draft picks in his pocket.

So we should support DD bad play with giving up draft picks? :laugh: Not.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Calm down, ladies. Or, at least, spread around your "joy".

Last 10 games for the top 3 centers:

Plekanec 1g 7a 8pts +1 approx 18:00 avg TOI
DD 1g 5a 6pts -1 approx 16:45 avg TOI
Eller 2g 4a 6pts -4 approx 15:15 avg TOI

No one is setting the world on fire at the center position of late.

Last edited:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
The biggest problem I see with that decision, which I support is that the leafs have found a way to also not give up anything at the deadline and be a very very good team. Full props to them (not for their goonery, but solid team play, making Reimer seem like an NHL goalie). We have regressed, while they have found their stride (without Lupul :help:).

The issue now is that we wanted to do well these playoffs, at least better than the leafs and possibly Boston. Now, with Emelin gone, it seems we're in for a huge humiliation, which is unacceptable. That ONE injury crushed what was otherwise a good gameplan by MB, and he couldn't anticipate it/shouldn't have tried an insurance top4 (aka a rock solid 5th who would have cost us). We'll look back in a few years and be thankful. Just think McDo.

I would like it if he himself came back down to the locker room to tell this team to get it's **** together if we lose another two games. We'll have lost the division by then so it'll be the leafs and possibly we won't have home ice. I don't know what it takes to get the under-performers going, but maybe he could show up in a toga and give a rousing speech. No wait, that would be for the Sens.

That is a good idea. If they lose the next two, Bergy should ask MT if it is OK, and go down and rip the **** out of this team. They would deserve it. He can play Bad Cop to MT Good Cop. I would not be surprised if this happens. In fact, if I was an NHL coach, I would make this request to my GM twice a year. :)

Habs Junkie

Feb 24, 2009
Montreal

Plekanec 1g 7a 8pts +1
DD 1g 5a 6pts -1
Eller 2g 4a 6pts -4

Yeah but DD has been on the power play twice as much as the other centres. Including most of the 5 on 3s. If you put Pleks or Eller there I'm sure those numbers would look very different

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

You know how I got this smile? :naughty:

I said our centers were, as a group, ****, last year, and it's true.

That's how I got this smile.

Thank ****ing god for Chuckie.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

The problem with this is that we actually happen to have a young guy who appears to have gotten back his mojo...

And that it could be a good moment to test DD on LEFT wing.

NHLFutureGuy3

Aug 22, 2008
The problem with this is that we actually happen to have a young guy who appears to have gotten back his mojo...

And that it could be a good moment to test DD on LEFT wing.

I've wanted him to be tried at wing for a very long time. My suspicion is that Therrien thinks like I do in that it would be even harder for DD to succeed on the wing than it is at center.

If he does get moved to winger, it may be the beginning of the end for Desharnais. It will be noticed by everyone that DD has been moved to improve his production. When he doesn't succeed at wing, people will question if he even deserves a role on this team. That is worst case scenario for management who just gave him a four year contract.

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
That is a good idea. If they lose the next two, Bergy should ask MT if it is OK, and go down and rip the **** out of this team. They would deserve it. He can play Bad Cop to MT Good Cop. I would not be surprised if this happens. In fact, if I was an NHL coach, I would make this request to my GM twice a year. :)

Please:shakehead
Rip the team for what exactly??
Rip Drewiski for not being able to play 22 minutes a game?
Rip Beaulieu for not being ready for the NHL at 19?
Rip Markov and Gorges for being over used?

Face it... our D is f**ked.
Bergevin did no do enough to help this team at the trade deadline by getting some VETERAN dman, with Diaz hurt and Weber and Kaberle in never-never-land.

Face it .... Desi Arnaz was a bad signing mid-season... A mistake by Bergevin as well

You know, Brian Burke looked like a genius too for 60 games last year and the year before that...

This collapse is on Bergevin. No Doubt.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Maybe everyone likes him and wanted to make sure he got a contract before he went elsewhere? Sounds lame but it's possible. Don't see any other reason.

onemorecup*

Correction #1 center , who the hell is standing in his way of playing with Max ? DD :laugh::laugh::laugh:

give me a break guys , the dude will be bigger , stronger , he is so far ahead of dd in terms of pure skill ,size, etc.. that he is ready from day 1

there is no excuse for it , he has been phased in beautifully this year , no pressure and has produced nearly as well as the sheltered DD with less minutes pp time , etc ..

we drafted him #3 to be nothing less than the #1 center we have not had in 20 years ..... HE IS READY TO GO and has proven he is legit at 19

Pleks is the perfect #2 and Eller a shut down 3 , what more do you need

we havent been this solid down the middle in many years

no place for DD none , he belongs in Calgary to get his 50 points and win nothing

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
Maybe everyone likes him and wanted to make sure he got a contract before he went elsewhere? Sounds lame but it's possible. Don't see any other reason.

Everyone LOVED Gomez in the room... yet we shipped him to Alaska because he COULD NOT PERFORM. #noexcuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad