DAVID BOLLAND, SCHREMP and PERRY

Status
Not open for further replies.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
I've read alot of Mock Drafts about David Bolland and seen him a lot this year in London. I was wandering why is projected to be picked around the 14-25 range when in the Central Scouting Bureau he is one spot ahead of Schremp and Schremp is around 6-10 usually. I know Schremp has more offensive skills, so is the CSB accurate or worthless.

Can anyone give me comparisions of who Schremp and Bolland could become in todays NHL and while your at it how about Correy Perry to. These 3 if back in London next and they should be will create another unbelievable offensive year for the Knights and hopefully the Mem Cup as they are the hosts.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Bolland and Schremp are an interesting topic of discussion.

Schremp is the more natural talent, with as high end puck skills and playmaking ability as anyone in the draft. He is truly a wizard with the puck at his best. However, he has some question marks on his resume due to his leaving Mississauga and forcing a trade amid some rumours of him having a bit of an attitude. The more recent and pressing knock against him however, was he was basically benched when push came to shove in the London-Guelph series. While his team mates have never spoken ill of him (which is good), his coach was clearly mum on why he benched Schremp (which isn't good). Some feel his "supposed" attitude combined with his preference to play on the perimeter will be his undoing on his way to the NHL. He also did not really improve from his OHL rookie year in terms of production. At worst, he could be a Daniel Cleary or Daniel Tkachuk - a very skilled junior player who has trouble translating that talent to the NHL. Because if he is not a NHL scorer, he will not play in the NHL. However, he has unquestionable NHL skills and could be an NHL first liner one day who scores 70-80 points. It seems some scouts are just a little scared off by some those question marks in his past. But no one denies his talent. A good NHL comparison based on potential could be a Ray Whitney or even Pavol Demitra (if you can get the nationality out of your head).

Bolland on the other hand, has no such questions surrounding him. The only thing is his upside seems lower than Schremp's, and he is rather undersized. While CSB has ranked Bolland a tad higher, I would expect at least 20 of the 30 NHL teams have Schremp rated higher - but that is just a personal guess. Most scouting lists I've seen have Schremp ranked significantly higher. Bolland does seem to be the more natural goal scoring ability however, and he also plays a more rounded game and has shown tremendous natural hockey instincts and willingness to compete. He could be a scoring line forward in the Justin Williams mold, or he may end up being a checking line roll player. Either way, he's a relatively safe pick to play in the show some day. As one scout said "He's a hockey player.". Comparisons could be Alyn MacAuley or Curtis Brown maybe. Even Darcy Tucker less some of the side show Bob agitation factor.

Neither are exceptional skaters, but both are very quick, have good balance and solid from what I've seen. Schremp has the a more naturally solid frame, but uses it less from what I've seen.

So there you have it. I've seen both play, but most of what I know I've read, so much of this is second hand information. I love Bolland, but I'd have trouble taking him ahead of Schremp. But at the same time, I would feel much better in terms of a value pick by getting Bolland at #22, than getting Schremp at #6. Schremp scares scouts because he "could" bust, which is never something a scout wants out of a top 10 pick, but he scares them even more because if you pass on him, he could make you look like the fool.

Perry is an exceptionally talented forward prospect, but lacks typical NHL skating skills. He's big, but not overly physical. He has Jason Allison potential if he could improve his skating and use his body more. Otherwise, he may just be a depth scoring forward. He's the kind of guy a team will have to patient with, but still may be a gem in the end once he learns to adapt his skills to the pros, which may take some time given his skating will close some of the doors open to him at junior level.

EDITED: Added a few comparisons, the stuff on Perry and some grammar.

Last edited:

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Thanks for your input, so the CSB isn't really important than b/c they have Bolland ahead of Schremp.

You mentioned Schremp didn't improve from his rookie season which his stats show are true, but he went from 1st line franchise player in Missasauga to 2nd line player in London so thats why the stats didn't increase much IMO. Also Bolland improve dramatically and thats an understatement, he scored 8 goals his first year and I think 35 in his 2nd. If he continues to improve, I think whoever gets him around 14-25 will be laughing at anyone who takes Schremp (if he does bust).

I watched both play many times this year in London and saw Schremp benched against Guelph ( i was every game that series) and to was puzzled by Hunter's decision. I would have played him much more in game 7 especially.

Thanks for the reply, i'd like some more comparison on PERRY, SCHREMP and BOLLAND?????????????

Thanks everyone

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
trahans99 said:
Thanks for your input, so the CSB isn't really important than b/c they have Bolland ahead of Schremp.

You mentioned Schremp didn't improve from his rookie season which his stats show are true, but he went from 1st line franchise player in Missasauga to 2nd line player in London so thats why the stats didn't increase much IMO.

CSB is just one source, and as any source, will have it's differences. I still look at it with interest, and admittedly, it has probably added a lot of fuel to the Bolland - Schremp debate given they have indicated they feel Bolland is the better prospect.

Your point on Schremp's ice time is well taken, and has to be considered. I didn't see that many London games. But I would also suggest that Schremp got better linemates in London in joining one of the most offensively talented teams in the CHL - this should have translated into more offensive opportunities. And his lack if ice time at the end is more a cause for concern than a reason to justify his flat numbers IMO.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Good point again, I agree. But Schremp and Bolland were linemates for the majority of the season. Bolland had more goals with 37, while Schremp had more points (75 to 67).

I think Bolland plays with his heart on his sleeve and thats the difference between these two. Obviously Schremp has much more upside and skill, but Bolland's work ethic is unquestionably better and was counted on more in the playoffs.

In the end, Schremp will be a top 10 pick, at worst top 15 and Bolland will be in the 13-24 range IMO. But it'll be interesting to see who turns out better 5 and 10 years from now. I'd rather have Bolland to be honest, I think he'd fit perfectly in a system like Calgary has now.

Anymore comparison (best case and worst case scenarios) for these 2 players and CORREY PERRY

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I posted a few more comparisons above for each. Worst case, I think a team will get a 4th line depth player in Bolland four or five years from now ala Bruce Gardner. I think that's his worst case. Maltby might also be a comparable for Bolland, although his scoring abilities would probably be better.

For Perry, his worst case is not making the NHL because he doesn't put up the numbers, and can't fill a roll on one of the bottom two lines. Maybe a Matt Zultek type, except Perry is more skilled and would probably worst case stagnate as a prolific AHL scorer who gets a call up here and there. He'll get several chances to make it, even if the Ducks gave up on him in a few years (just conjecture here obviously - he's tracking a a prospect VERY well, and scored a couple of points in his AHL debut this spring). He could also be an Andreychuk type, albeit with less goal scoring and more playmaking.

Interesting to hear you would prefer Bolland given you've seen them both play so much. Who would YOU compare them too? How do you compare their skating?

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
I like the Bolland comparison to Maltby, but Bolland does have more offensive upside. I saw all of these players play many many times this year.

There is no comparison between Bolland and Schremp skating, both have different styles. Bolland skates all out like a dog chasing a frisbee. He's a relentless penalty killer (tied for league lead in SHG) and on offence he skates north and south, whereas Schremp does all the dipsy doodles and dangles which is fun to watch when he didn't mess it up which will happen in the NHL.

I'm not too sure who to compare these guys to thats why i'm asking.

I see Bolland being a complete player, probably 3rd line offensive grinder, penalty killer, at best 25-30 goal scorer (Draper, Maltby). I think he could be captain or assitant material one day to by the way he competes out there.

Schremp I see being an offensive minded player who could become a first line player with 30g 50a = 80pts. This is of course if he makes it and with all the new rules changes offense should be up a bit by the time these guys make it. I could see him being a Marc Savard type player, but with more potential.

As for Perry, I see him as a 2nd line player if he can increase his foot speed which I believe he will. Last year, he started working out 4 days after they lost out in the 2nd round of playoffs and you saw the difference in his game this year. I'm assuming he'll be doing the same this summer but with more focus on speed and strength. I expect him to come back to London for a final season and dominate even more. He has stick handling skills that only Robbie Schremp has, i've seen Perry deke through 3 defenders and roof it on the goalie blocker side twice. He can score goals, set up many nice goals. He almost has the puckhandling and playmaking abilities of Jason Spezza, but not quite.

Anymore comparisons anyone????? (PERRY, BOLLAND, SCHREMP)

Scooter2

Feb 2, 2004
Bolland & Shremp

The two are very different players, Bolland is a strong two way player who is great on both PP & PK and playes physical, he has still to completely fill out, when he does he will for sure be the better player.

Shremp is a very strong on the offence but needs to work harder on in the other end of the ice. Superior puck handler, probably the best in the OHL.

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
Bolland can be compared perhaps to a Yzerman type player, maybe Peca minus the hitting and better scoring touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad