Speculation: David Backes

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
Devils fan here with a few questions about David Backes. He's a guy I'd be interested in taking a look at in free-agency. I see his numbers are down noticeably this year, is this a sign of decline in the eyes of St. Louis fans, or is it just a down year? Also, is it a team wide thing? I don't get to see a whole lot of Blues games, so any input would be helpful, thanks!

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
We suck at scoring in general but Backes had gone without his regular linemates this year Oshie(duh) and Steen (until a week ago). Plus he's now a RW...so he's all over the place but he does the job he's told. As for decline, the eye test says yes. He doesn't look like. Bull anymore, seems way more passive

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Devils fan here with a few questions about David Backes. He's a guy I'd be interested in taking a look at in free-agency. I see his numbers are down noticeably this year, is this a sign of decline in the eyes of St. Louis fans, or is it just a down year? Also, is it a team wide thing? I don't get to see a whole lot of Blues games, so any input would be helpful, thanks!

A few things: the team as a whole has been in and out of the injury bug all season, and as a result the team's production has gone down. How that pertains to Backes (who is still #3 on the team in scoring, mind you) is that he hasn't been on the 1st line hardly at all this season, instead grinding it out in a different role on the 2nd and 3rd lines. Our 1PP unit has been abysmal as of late as well, which hasn't helped him either. So (A) he's been on an injury-riddled team, and (B) he's been serving a different role than he has in years past, hence the declining production.

Others I'm sure will note that he just simply hasn't looked the same, and I would agree with that to a degree. Honestly I saw it coming after last season's playoffs. Once Oshie was traded, Backes was all but relegated to a 3rd line role, and that was going to mean decreased production, and more attention on the flaws in his game due to that decreased production (even though he's playing basically the same as he always has; maybe a little slower, maybe a little more desperate).

For a team that wants to pay him Kesler money to be a 1 or 2C for their team, he's going to be a good player for them. But you have to wonder how long he'll keep it up. Players like him might not last as long, but then again look at guys like Hartnell who are still going strong. Foot speed is usually the first thing to go, and Backes was never a speed-demon to begin with. But he's still a great player and a rare breed who is going to deserve every bit of his payday when it comes. I'm just not sure it will come from the Blues.

That's my honest opinion, hope it helps.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
We suck at scoring in general but Backes had gone without his regular linemates this year Oshie(duh) and Steen (until a week ago). Plus he's now a RW...so he's all over the place but he does the job he's told. As for decline, the eye test says yes. He doesn't look like. Bull anymore, seems way more passive

I agree with this. I think he may be a bit less physical, but he's had games where he looks like his usual self. So I take it more as he is either pacing himself or taking coaching instruction to play a different way. He has also had less hothead moments, which makes me think maybe someone told him to ease off the throttle a bit.

I'll be very interested which version of Backes we see in the playoffs. Also the switch from center to wing is recent (and not clear how long it will go on) so he may not be settled into his role just now.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I haven't seen a single game this season where he looked like the guy in 2014 pre-Seabrook hit. He didn't look any more intense in the Minnesota series last year either so the argument that he's "pacing himself" can't be true. He's just different now, that's really all there is to it. Maybe he came back a bit too early or maybe it's a combination of things.

He's nowhere near what he used to be. He'll run around and bump guys and rack up those hit totals but he rarely destroys anyone anymore and he used to do it on a daily basis.

Still good defensively and can get you 40 or so points but he'll be 32 and the decline is starting just as I have been saying. Sure it hurts losing Oshie but that's not the only reason for his lower numbers (and he's 5th on the team in scoring, not 3rd. Not that that's bad but it also doesn't say much since Schwartz is injured and the offense as a whole just isn't good). I'm not sure if he'll be able to reach ~55 points anymore. He's not a "great" player anymore that any team would die to have. He simply isn't. He used to be a very rare breed of player but those days are ending. Buyer beware in free agency as far as I'm concerned. He can still help a team but not at the contract he'll be asking for.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
he's got a lot of mileage on that body and noticeably less tread remaining on the tires. He's going to want one last big payday, as he's already reportedly turned down $5.5M annually on a multi-year deal. Any team that ponies up that much or more for Backes is going to end up hating that contract.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
I agree with this. I think he may be a bit less physical, but he's had games where he looks like his usual self. So I take it more as he is either pacing himself or taking coaching instruction to play a different way. He has also had less hothead moments, which makes me think maybe someone told him to ease off the throttle a bit.

I'll be very interested which version of Backes we see in the playoffs. Also the switch from center to wing is recent (and not clear how long it will go on) so he may not be settled into his role just now.

yea theres for sure been way less stupid hits the last two min of a game by him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad