Player Discussion David Backes: Waived

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
We’re talking about a guy who started to take on an enforcer role with multiple concussion because he cared about the team so much

I don’t understand people who bash him. He has a big contract. Not his fault. He’s given us everything. To sit here and rip him is childish

Oh I couldn't agree more with you.

Don't ya know, problem solved, Tory Krug is our next tough guy? What do we need one of our best offensive defensemen on the ice for, he'll take care of all the meanies and dirty players on the ice! Bless his heart, I was happy to see him fight last night, as he gets mauled night after night, so proud he took a stand for himself. Reality is, we need him on the ice. So who's left now? Chara, who already had a fight last week and is one of the few physical guys left on the team? Clifton is injured, so who's left? Maybe David Krejci will start throwing bone crunching checks and Pasta will throw a few haymakers every now and then. Let's face it, they're going to be forced into defending themselves anyway, as other teams in the NHL are catching on that we're soft as pudding out there.

Two physical guys waived since Tuukka got concussed. Ritchie wasn't brought here to fight, and if Backes had been on the ice and saw what happened and had a chance to play, you know he would have left a few bumps and bruises on Bemstrom by the end of the game. The guy can't fulfill his role if he's not on the ice, know what I mean?

Reactions: BMC

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Not coveting thy neighbors wife is a little different than coveting his ability to have food at the dinner table every night.

I was speaking of the Seven Deadly Sins, not the Ten Commandments. They are not canon, per se, but certainly religion based. Regardless, there is a lot of envy in this thread, and not much gluttony. Me, I will never criticize anyone for making as much money as possible, regardless of the amount. I myself have never said no to a raise, and one must ask oneself if they would either and at what point would that raise be "too much". I know I've never seen a Lottery winner take only half the money.

And besides, nobody really knows what David Backes does with his money, for all we know he gives it away to the poor, or buys animal shelters, or sponsors third world children. And you know what, it's also none of our business. He entered a contract, he fulfilled a contract, and that is between him and the Bruins.

The rest is just . . . envy.

Last edited:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Oh I couldn't agree more with you.

Don't ya know, problem solved, Tory Krug is our next tough guy? What do we need one of our best offensive defensemen on the ice for, he'll take care of all the meanies and dirty players on the ice! Bless his heart, I was happy to see him fight last night, as he gets mauled night after night, so proud he took a stand for himself. Reality is, we need him on the ice. So who's left now? Chara, who already had a fight last week and is one of the few physical guys left on the team? Clifton is injured, so who's left? Maybe David Krejci will start throwing bone crunching checks and Pasta will throw a few haymakers every now and then. Let's face it, they're going to be forced into defending themselves anyway, as other teams in the NHL are catching on that we're soft as pudding out there.

Two physical guys waived since Tuukka got concussed. Ritchie wasn't brought here to fight, and if Backes had been on the ice and saw what happened and had a chance to play, you know he would have left a few bumps and bruises on Bemstrom by the end of the game. The guy can't fulfill his role if he's not on the ice, know what I mean?
I think to Cassidy's point today, the guy can't fulfill that role even if he's on the ice, or at least they don't want him to try for his own sake.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I'm very sad to see this happen. I watched David Backes for several years when I had Center Ice and I just loved him. I was happy when he signed with the Bruins although like everyone else I thought the term was a bit too long. Then the injuries & concussions hit and he was not able to play the way he & the rest of us expected. Yet through it all he conducted himself with professionalism and a grace rarely seen these days, which has only deepened my respect for him.

Thank you #42 and Godspeed.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Just heard this what the Blackhawks did in 2015...Evander Kane gets checked from behind {early Febuary} and breaks his collarbone. He has surgery and is on the mend. Although he could have been back before the playoffs, the Hawks marked him down that he will miss the rest of the season.
This released the team from his capspace.
So at the trade deadline they made some moves due to it aquiring Antoine Vermette {forward} and Kimmo Timonen {veteran D-man}.
Huuuuge moves.
The playoffs start and who's ready to go in game #1....Evander Kane. The Hawks with Kane in the lineup are in fact over their capspace now with Antoine Vermette and Kimmo Timonen and Kane playing as well, however capspace is only relevant during the season, not the playoffs.

Smart move by the Hawks as they went on to win the Cup!

You mixed up Evander and Patrick a few times in this post ;)

I was genuinely confused for at least half of it.

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
Class guy, I wish him good health and all the best. He should retire and go live a great life.
To be honest- and I am a HUGE Backes fan, but I really wish that he would retire, for his health. He's had too many concussions in recent years and I would rather see him in a coaching role where young kids can learn from his experience than risk another head injury that could cause problems for him for the rest of his life.

It's hard to see a great guy and player go through this, but I do feel that David needs to realize enough is enough, his body's been through enough.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
We’re talking about a guy who started to take on an enforcer role with multiple concussion because he cared about the team so much

I don’t understand people who bash him. He has a big contract. Not his fault. He’s given us everything. To sit here and rip him is childish
This is the correct response. Warrior who gave everything to his team, never complained and was ready to give his best effort when called on.

Maybe the fans who love cry babies like Spooner and Koko could learn something by watching how Backes carried himself and acted like a pro, not a whiny spoiled child.

Best of luck to David Backes, it sucks he never got his cup.

Cam14b

Jan 8, 2018
Annotation-2020-01-17-131210.png
I know my bad, my feed wasn't refreshing.
Is there a way for me to delete?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
One interesting comment from that interview with Bruce. He said IIRC "I know David doesn't agree with it"....makes me wonder if Backes would open up his trade list in order to get back in to the NHL.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I know. But I'll die trying.
This place is something else sometimes.
Hell in another thread we have to 'blind' guys arguing over who's better Ginger or Maryanne.

Crazy place,
Wally. I respect you a great deal. I think your opinions and judgements and balanced and you don’t miss an opportunity to mix in humor. All good.

However, if you’re going to tell me it’s not Maryanne then we might have some issues that will need ironing out.

On a serious note I think this is right move. However, to me, Backes has never been anything but a class act and deserves our respect for the effort and good grace he’s given (getting scratched for G7 in SCF against his old team must have stung extremely hard). Most of all I wish him good health. He’s an older guy for rigors of NHL but still a very young guy with a young family to enjoy.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
My only regret is that he didn't play game 7. Who knows, he goes the cage, a pass from Kurlay is redirected off of his posterior and the Bruins are off and running. Who knows what he would have willed himself to do in that situation. Oh well, a guy can dream...
yeah I'm not gonna pretend like I thought it was the a bad choice to sit him at the time (I was kind of on the fence about it), but in hindsight I wish that he had dressed for that game. Tell him to play like it's his last game ever and see what happens. Oh well, we'll never know.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Just heard this what the Blackhawks did in 2015...Evander Kane gets checked from behind {early Febuary} and breaks his collarbone. He has surgery and is on the mend. Although he could have been back before the playoffs, the Hawks marked him down that he will miss the rest of the season.
So at the trade deadline they made some moves due to it aquiring Antoine Vermette {forward} and Kimmo Timonen {veteran D-man}.
Huuuuge moves.
The playoffs start and who's ready to go in game #1....Evander Kane. The Hawks with Kane in the lineup are in fact over their capspace now with Antoine Vermette and Kimmo Timonen and Kane playing as well, however capspace is only relevant during the season, not the playoffs.

This would make sense, however there is one problem you are overlooking: There is no cap in the playoffs so I guess it doesn't hold any water?

Reactions: nORRis8

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Probably right but the warrior fairy tale sounds better. St louis dodged a bullet not signing him. He never had an impact in boston as he was expected to when signed

Gimme a break. If Backes is not a warrior, then no one who plays a sport for money is a warrior. I'm fine with saying that no player is a "warrior" but that's another issue.

Reactions: TOR1970Cup

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'm very sad to see this happen. I watched David Backes for several years when I had Center Ice and I just loved him. I was happy when he signed with the Bruins although like everyone else I thought the term was a bit too long. Then the injuries & concussions hit and he was not able to play the way he & the rest of us expected. Yet through it all he conducted himself with professionalism and a grace rarely seen these days, which has only deepened my respect for him.

Thank you #42 and Godspeed.
well said, totally uneducated in the area of cap but does this affect the B`s cap?

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Huuuuge moves.

Pat Kane, but yes that happened.

Also Pitt did something similar involving Satan. But I think he was in the minors or something. But there's no cap then

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
Not a celebratory announcement but it had to happen for the Bruins to get where we want them to be.

Good luck Backes, dude battled hard as f*** for us and didn't leave an ounce left in the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad