Player Discussion David Backes: Waived

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Based on what his agent said yesterday and the fact he was on the ice for captain's practice today, it sounds like the dream of him going on LTIR to open up cap space seems like just that - a dream.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Based on what his agent said yesterday and the fact he was on the ice for captain's practice today, it sounds like the dream of him going on LTIR to open up cap space seems like just that - a dream.

That's why I laughed about so many people saying it as if it were factual. He's going to be on LTIR and commit insurance fraud, just to help the Bruins? Yeah, that's a big stretch and completely out of line for a high character guy like Backes. I may dislike his play on the ice, but he always carries himself the right way, gives it his all on the ice (even if that's not good enough any more) and respects the game and it's players.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
That's why I laughed about so many people saying it as if it were factual. He's going to be on LTIR and commit insurance fraud, just to help the Bruins? Yeah, that's a big stretch and completely out of line for a high character guy like Backes. I may dislike his play on the ice, but he always carries himself the right way, gives it his all on the ice (even if that's not good enough any more) and respects the game and it's players.

Assuming you missed this but Sweeney and Neely both said that Backes was dealing with some type of injury that they thought could require surgery. That’s why many people thought backes was going on LTIR

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nb...es-be-bruins-saving-salary-cap-grace-fall?amp

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Assuming you missed this but Sweeney and Neely both said that Backes was dealing with some type of injury that they thought could require surgery. That’s why many people thought backes was going on LTIR

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/boston/bruins/could-injuries-be-bruins-saving-salary-cap-grace-fall?amp

I saw it and I saw the Murph story saying he was going to go on LTIR, and I saw posters here incorrectly assuming he had post concussion syndrome. And none of it seemed to mesh with the stories that Backes was working out and had hired a skating coach. If he were hurt and not planning on playing, why work out and hire a coach to improve his skating?

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Does anybody else get the feeling this hombre is gonna be sitting in the press box for most of the season?

That's assuming Ritchie and Kuhlman completely freeze him out of the RW competition in the bottom 6.

Reactions: Marcobruin

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Does anybody else get the feeling this hombre is gonna be sitting in the press box for most of the season?

That's assuming Ritchie and Kuhlman completely freeze him out of the RW competition in the bottom 6.

Have to see if the work he's been doing with his skating coach has helped.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

I mean I think he could be a decent 13th forward. But we might need the 1 mil of cap savings for our 2 D men. Especially once Moore and Miller are back. I think he'd be a better option than the other options but if he makes the team out of camp someone is getting exposed to waivers.

I guess its a good thing we didn't sign any UFAs who could help the team and only signed guys who could be buried with the assumption Backes would go on LTIR. Hes not doing us any favors here but it is what it is he didn't put a gun to our head and make us offer him the contract.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I mean I think he could be a decent 13th forward. But we might need the 1 mil of cap savings for our 2 D men. Especially once Moore and Miller are back. I think he'd be a better option than the other options but if he makes the team out of camp someone is getting exposed to waivers.

There is almost no saving burying Backes in AHL cause you have to factor in his replacement salary. 0,3-0,4M at the most.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Have to see if the work he's been doing with his skating coach has helped.

He finishes playoffs middle of June / takes 3-4 weeks off / Middle of July he hires skating coach and by September 3 he's an improved skater? at age 35?

I hope to see him come back and be an effective player...I would love to be wrong however the odds are he's not playing much for Boston.

Is there evidence he was working on his skating? I recall last summer reading something about this and losing some weight however this summer it's been very silent on the Backes front.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
New thread, new Backes.

Since LTIR doesn’t seem like an option anymore and Sweeney wasn’t able/didn’t want to give up asset(s) to free up 6M, then all we can hope is a resurrection.

Go Backes!

Can send him to providence and save $1.033m against the cap

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Is there evidence he was working on his skating?
source.gif

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

I don’t even see Ritchie in there. I think bjork and kuhlman are freezing out Ritchie and backes. Nordstrom is too valuable a penalty killer and that 4th line was great last year whether it was Nordstrom or acciari in there.

Marchand-Bergy-pasta
Debrusk-krejci-kuhlman
Bjork-coyle-heinen
Nordstrom-kuraly-Wagner

Reactions: Estlin

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I don’t even see Ritchie in there. I think bjork and kuhlman are freezing out Ritchie and backes. Nordstrom is too valuable a penalty killer and that 4th line was great last year whether it was Nordstrom or acciari in there.

Marchand-Bergy-pasta
Debrusk-krejci-kuhlman
Bjork-coyle-heinen
Nordstrom-kuraly-Wagner

With all the time Bjork missed I can't see him starting the season in Boston. Plus Cehlarik/Ritchie can be claimed / Bjork can clear waivers. Going to be a battle of young and old prospects and one vet.

Last edited:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
i'm waiting for his annual comments about being able to play center to help the club

I'll be honest, I always felt like from Day 1 that we used Backes completely different than what he was doing in STL. I mean he basically played a "Bergeron Role" for the Blues, but here we didn't really use him at center, he didn't see much PK time and his PP time dropped (IIRC). IDK why this stats blows my mind, but it does.....

In Backes final year with STL he won 620 face-offs. For his entire time in Boston, Backes has taken 674 face-offs TOTAL

Reactions: Bluesguru

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I'll be honest, I always felt like from Day 1 that we used Backes completely different than what he was doing in STL. I mean he basically played a "Bergeron Role" for the Blues, but here we didn't really use him at center, he didn't see much PK time and his PP time dropped (IIRC). IDK why this stats blows my mind, but it does.....

In Backes final year with STL he won 620 face-offs. For his entire time in Boston, Backes has taken 674 face-offs TOTAL

Could it be the Bruins system Is holding back Backes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad