Player Discussion David Backes: Waived

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I’m wondering where people have Backes on their depth chart. Or to simplify, how many options do the Bruins have that should be considered better ones than Backes.

I have him about 15th/16th. How unfair am I being?

On the Boston roster, he’d be tied for last with Ritchie, I guess. If you factor in Providence, though, then I’d have the following ahead of Backes: Bjork, Senyshyn, Gaunce (before the injury), Cehlarik and probably Steen and/or Frederic.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
His replacement isnt capable of providing anything Kuhlman does. Honestly KK is doing everything besides score. If a few went in, this post would be irrelevant.
Except he isn’t doing everything except score lately - think the coaches spotted it too as he was benched in the third period against Tampa.

IMO he needs a break and a reset, doesn’t look like the same player right now who was called up last season.

But if the starting point with Backes is “he can’t do anything” then there really isn’t much to discuss.

Last edited:

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
luckiest guy in the NHL. 6 mill year and great seats at the garden to watch the game from. Who doesn't want to be David Backes. I can be a washed up NHL player with a big contract watching games too, give me 6 mill a year

IMO go play in Providence and earn that money.
To be fair, Backes doesn’t seem like the type to feel lucky about sitting out games healthy. The money probably makes it easier to swallow though.

think getting him games, even 30-40 this season, should be their goal.

Let’s face facts here. This team has a long standing relationship with the injured reserve list on an annual basis. Having a veteran around that can at least chew up some non event minutes in a game is handy.

Not entertaining mind you. But handy!

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Except he isn’t doing everything except score lately - think the coaches spotted it too as he was benched in the third period against Tampa.

IMO he needs a break and a reset, doesn’t look like the same player right now who was called up last season.

But if the starting point with Backes is “he can’t do anything” then there really isn’t much to discuss.

I think your love for Backes is getting in the way right now. Let's be honest, Backes isn't providing much of anything at this point. He's a lesser version of Ritchie. We can't have two of them in the lineup. Backes bring some defensive play and physicality if he can catch up.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I think your love for Backes is getting in the way right now. Let's be honest, Backes isn't providing much of anything at this point. He's a lesser version of Ritchie. We can't have two of them in the lineup. Backes bring some defensive play and physicality if he can catch up.

I respect Backes and his efforts. Ritchie ? Useless in every regard. Backes should be in over him

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
ITs not love, just recognizing his play in the opportunities he’s getting. I totally agree he’s not bringing much as a healthy scratch - when he was in this year he’s been an effective forechecker and was getting the puck on net. Not sure how that squares with the “if he can keep up” narrative but it is what it is.

Reactions: Bluesguru

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Backes is better than Ritchie, but neither should be in the lineup. If he's fine, Gaunce should be in over both of them.

Reactions: bbfan419 and Estlin

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Backes is better than Ritchie, but neither should be in the lineup. If he's fine, Gaunce should be in over both of them.

Gaunce is going to be out a while....Leach already listed him as "week to week".

Here's the problem. We're arguing over which 4th line quality forward belong in the Top 9. The only NHL ready forwards in Providence that makes any sense for a spot in the Top 9 are Bjork, Senyshyn and Cehlarik.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
ITs not love, just recognizing his play in the opportunities he’s getting. I totally agree he’s not bringing much as a healthy scratch - when he was in this year he’s been an effective forechecker and was getting the puck on net. Not sure how that squares with the “if he can keep up” narrative but it is what it is.

:laugh:

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Gaunce is going to be out a while....Leach already listed him as "week to week".

Here's the problem. We're arguing over which 4th line quality forward belong in the Top 9. The only NHL ready forwards in Providence that makes any sense for a spot in the Top 9 are Bjork, Senyshyn and Cehlarik.
Wishful thinking at best.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I know you hate on Senyshyn but I think he could be an asset on the 3rd line...more so than anyone they're putting there now.

agreed, playing a very quick team 2 times over the next few days, kid has speed, sure be nice to see someone capable of keeping up with the play.

I like Kuhlman but right now he, like many is virtually useless out there right now. He`s made a few good plays but a view from up top for a few games couldn`t hurt him but the problem is, push him upstairs and it`s the Backes show

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I know you hate on Senyshyn but I think he could be an asset on the 3rd line...more so than anyone they're putting there now.
I actually don't hate the guy, I hope he could be of any help to the Bruins. Would really be happy if it's even on the 4th line or even in the AHL for that matter.

I just don't believe it no more.
I voiced my opinion on Senyshyn not out of hate.
I never voiced my opinion until late last season. I'm just not buying it no more until he really shows that he can succeed at whatever level.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I actually don't hate the guy, I hope he could be of any help to the Bruins. Would really be happy if it's even on the 4th line or even in the AHL for that matter.

I never voiced my opinion until late last season. I'm just not buying it no more until he really shows that he can succeed.

Do you watch Senyshyn or go off what is here and what you see on the stat sheet?

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario

I never voiced my opinion until late last season. I'm just not buying it no more until he really shows that he can succeed at whatever level.
funny you call seny a bust and in the other thread want kuhlman on 1st line. yet somehow last year a 2 or 3 year younger Seny outscored Kuhlman yet kuhlman somehow is gifted 2rw.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Fair enough. Still though, he's a better option for the top 9 than Backes, Ritchie, Lindholm. I would just like to see him get a legit chance.
Well, I'm not going to crap on the coaches or management on how they handle him. They know what they're doing and know more about each player than we ever know.

Lindholm, it's a very small sample size as of now. Ritchie/Backes are not what we need for obvious reasons.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
funny you call seny a bust and in the other thread want kuhlman on 1st line. yet somehow last year a 2 or 3 year younger Seny outscored Kuhlman yet kuhlman somehow is gifted 2rw.
Ok, you have all your things mixed up here.

First I never called him a bust. I said I don't believe in him no more, and won't be surprised if the Bruins would let him go after the season. It doesn't mean he can't succeed in a different team/scenario.

Kulhman has produced in the biggest stage. I said in capital letters TRYING Kuhlman on the first line since he his a shooter/finisher. He's already on the team, trying him there doesn't have to be for the rest of his career. It works good, it doesn't, next. No harm done.

Last edited:

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I guess I simply see Kuhlman as a JAG and dont understand why he keeps getting off with no criticism. ritchie, backes, debrusk, krejci and others including guys in Providence all seem to be whipping boys at one time or another yet KK who in my opinion has shown very limited scoring ability on his entire career gets away harmless. you say KK does it on the big stage yet Seny hasnt even been given the chance. you say you want a sniper but again a younger Seny outscored Kk last year. KK seems
to be the new teflon man in my opinion

Reactions: Number6

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I guess I simply see Kuhlman as a JAG and dont understand why he keeps getting off with no criticism. ritchie, backes, debrusk, krejci and others including guys in Providence all seem to be whipping boys at one time or another yet KK who in my opinion has shown very limited scoring ability on his entire career gets away harmless. you say KK does it on the big stage yet Seny hasnt even been given the chance. you say you want a sniper but again a younger Seny outscored Kk last year. KK seems
to be the new teflon man in my opinion
KK had the chance to play in the NHL because of all the injuries last year. There's reason's why him and not Senyshyn either you agree or not.

What Senyshyn did when he was younger has nothing to do with the present.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I’m wondering where people have Backes on their depth chart. Or to simplify, how many options do the Bruins have that should be considered better ones than Backes.

I have him about 15th/16th. How unfair am I being?

Frankly, I think you're being kind. There are a number of players in Providence I'd rather see than him. I'm not sure I'd say they're all better than him, but all things considered, I might put him closer to 20th on my personal depth chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad