Player Discussion David Backes: Waived

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Again, no agenda here. Just want the best roster possible. If Backes rebounds and goes back to what he was before, I'll be more than happy to say so. As for last year, all I said was that him taking on a physical role and being more of an enforcer was so he could get back on the ice since he'd been benched over a lack of production.

I don't think that's wrong or misrepresented in any way. He did what he had to stay in the line up. I don't begrudge him for that either. In fact I give him credit. What I don't give him credit for is what @Over the volcano wanted to, in that he didn't do it as a selfless act. He did it as a player that wanted to continue playing. So he found a way.

I somewhat agree.

However, most guys in their mid 30s who suck at fighting and have concussions wouldn’t at all be willing to take that risk in order to keep playing.

So he still gets credit. Lord knows 6’5” Jimmy Hayes wasn’t paying this price when he was not producing.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I somewhat agree.

However, most guys in their mid 30s who suck at fighting and have concussions wouldn’t at all be willing to take that risk in order to keep playing.

So he still gets credit. Lord knows 6’5” Jimmy Hayes wasn’t paying this price when he was not producing.

Sure. I give him full credit for doing whatever he thought he could to stay in the line up. The one distinction I'm making isn't that though. I take issue with people saying he did it for the team. No, he did it for himself, which is fine. He didn't take a beating because he bleeds black and gold. He took a beating because his pride wouldn't let him sit and watch, so instead, he found a way to dress. And again, it's not an issue and I give him credit for being willing to do that since a lot of other players wouldn't.

I just don't give him credit for it being a selfless act like over the volcano said it was. It wasn't.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Sure. I give him full credit for doing whatever he thought he could to stay in the line up. The one distinction I'm making isn't that though. I take issue with people saying he did it for the team. No, he did it for himself, which is fine. He didn't take a beating because he bleeds black and gold. He took a beating because his pride wouldn't let him sit and watch, so instead, he found a way to dress. And again, it's not an issue and I give him credit for being willing to do that since a lot of other players wouldn't.

I just don't give him credit for it being a selfless act like over the volcano said it was. It wasn't.

I’ve had this same kind of argument with multiple people regarding Backes.

If you look at it is as strictly one or the other (“for the team” or “for David Backes”), yes...you’re right. However, as I have indirectly argued before, I don’t think it’s a totally black and white issue.

Reactions: LSCII

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Hold on now with this sanctimonious nonsense. He didn't do that for us. Or for the team. He did that for himself. Because he couldn't accept that he was no longer a viable player. He found a way to bring at least some value to the team by filling a void. This was the only way he was getting back on the ice, FFS because his play had slipped that drastically. So don't lecture the fans on how he laid things out on the line for the club like he was self sacrificing or something. That was for himself because he wasn't ready to move on. End of story.
No offense but that’s a f***ing stupid take in like 6 different ways.

Reactions: Johnny4778

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
No offense but that’s a ****ing stupid take

Uh, right back at you.

You suggesting he did this selflessly out of the goodness of his heart just to help the team any way he could is literally about the most puke inducing nonsense I've ever read here. Literally the f***ing worst. :laugh:

Reactions: Pia8988

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Uh, right back at you.

You suggesting he did this selflessly out of the goodness of his heart just to help the team any way he could is literally about the most puke inducing nonsense I've ever read here. Literally the ****ing worst. :laugh:
Do you know what is puke inducing? Having a foot of your intestine removed. Happened to a family member. The doctor said it looked like a boiled lobster.

But I do like that you’re signing your posts at the end now.

Reactions: Johnny4778

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Do you know what is puke inducing? Having a foot of your intestine removed. Happened to a family member. The doctor said it looked like a boiled lobster.

But I do like that you’re signing your posts at the end now.

And? I mean Jesus Christ dude. Backes is the only athlete in the history of sports to ever have to overcome injuries and physical hardships? He's well compensated for his trouble, you do realize that, no? And part of being well paid means fans will be critical of you when if you don't produce, no?

But again, you want to change the argument to something I've not said. You want to make this about an agenda and in reality, for me, it's always been about bad play. He plays well? I'll say it. He plays like shit? I'll say it. That's all it is.

Man, now I want lobster for some reason...:naughty:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
And? I mean Jesus Christ dude. Backes is the only athlete in the history of sports to ever have to overcome injuries and physical hardships? He's well compensated for his trouble, you do realize that, no? And part of being well paid means fans will be critical of you when if you don't produce, no?

But again, you want to change the argument to something I've not said. You want to make this about an agenda and in reality, for me, it's always been about bad play. He plays well? I'll say it. He plays like ****? I'll say it. That's all it is.

Man, now I want lobster for some reason...:naughty:
4 more ways of a shit take... wait no I think it’s 5 more in this one.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I see Lonnie laying out valid points.
I see you just, well, nothing in this reply.
It’s like shoveling against a landslide of shit... is it really worth doing?

Besides would I start - at guessing and ripping a guys motivation? At “he ‘s the only guy in the history of sport...” straw men. Or “you want to make this about me and my agenda” strawmen. At “he’s getting paid” justifications. At “fans have the right to be critical”? At the “I call it as I see it” nonsense?

And I think that’s all just in his last post ... let alone the one before.

What’s amazing is that the original point he took issue with was my response to spooners claim that Backes is all lip service- so I showed a couple videos of him doing more than lip service. So it goes

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
It’s like shoveling against a landslide of ****... is it really worth doing?

Besides would I start - at guessing and ripping a guys motivation? At “he ‘s the only guy in the history of sport...” straw men. Or “you want to make this about be” strawmen. At “he’s getting paid” justifications. At “fans have the right to be critical”? At the “I call it as I see it” nonsense?

And I think that’s all just in his last post ... let alone the one before. It’s just non stop garbage.
He didn't rip his motivation, just disagreed on what you think his motivation is.
It is true he is not the first player in the sport to overcome injury and physical hardships.
It is true he is over paid so a fan does have the right to be critical more so on that player.

All valid points to what you call nonsense.

Reactions: LSCII and Estlin

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
He didn't rip his motivation, just disagreed on what you think his motivation is.
It is true he is not the first player in the sport to overcome injury and physical hardships.
It is true he is over paid so a fan does have the right to be critical more so on that player.

All valid points to what you call nonsense.
Valid for what? He’s not the first player in the history of sports to overcome injury and fans have the right to be critical. Those are some real inspiring truths to apply to Backes (or anyone/anything). . . Seriously, why bother.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It’s like shoveling against a landslide of ****... is it really worth doing?

Besides would I start - at guessing and ripping a guys motivation? At “he ‘s the only guy in the history of sport...” straw men. Or “you want to make this about me and my agenda” strawmen. At “he’s getting paid” justifications. At “fans have the right to be critical”? At the “I call it as I see it” nonsense?

And I think that’s all just in his last post ... let alone the one before.

What’s amazing is that the original point he took issue with was my response to spooners claim that Backes is all lip service- so I showed a couple videos of him doing more than lip service. So it goes

You didn't just disagree with Spooner saying it was lip service, you were condescendingly overbearing and stated emphatically that he did it all for the team. Which is something that's so silly and not provable. Athletes are by nature, selfish. Anything they do, whether it's rehab or filling a roll they didn't think they'd be filling, is done to continue playing. You attaching your own beliefs that Backes did this selflessly is laughable. If Rick Nash had come back after the concussion, would that have been him rehabbing for the team or himself? If a guy gets benched and then starts fighting to stay dressed, is that really for the team or for himself?

If he really was doing something selflessly to benefit the team, wouldn't he have been doing it all along, since you seem to suggest everything he did was for the team? If he were a truly team first guy, why did it take him getting benched to bring that part of his game out? Makes a lot of sense that it was selfless though... :laugh:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
You didn't just disagree with Spooner saying it was lip service, you were condescendingly overbearing and stated emphatically that he did it all for the team. Which is something that's so silly and not provable. Athletes are by nature, selfish. Anything they do, whether it's rehab or filling a roll they didn't think they'd be filling, is done to continue playing. You attaching your own beliefs that Backes did this selflessly is laughable. If Rick Nash had come back after the concussion, would that have been him rehabbing for the team or himself? If a guy gets benched and then starts fighting to stay dressed, is that really for the team or for himself?

If he really was doing something selflessly to benefit the team, wouldn't he have been doing it all along, since you seem to suggest everything he did was for the team? If he were a truly team first guy, why did it take him getting benched to bring that part of his game out? Makes a lot of sense that it was selfless though... :laugh:
I couldn’t make it through your first sentence - hilarious.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Weakest reply of the day.

I know Lonnie can defend himself but you are bringing nothing to all his salient points.
Donnie - what have you brought?

And after making it through that post we can add “the guy’s just doing it selfishly for ice time” to the list. ...

“We’re here to win, and if my part is grabbing the pompoms again, then I’ll shake those things till all the frills fall out of them. It’s all aboard. Whatever it takes, let’s do it. Hopefully, I’m a part of it. But whoever is in my spot or not in my spot will do an admirable job, and we’ll cheer him on with everything we’ve got.”

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

And after making it through that post we can add “the guy’s just doing it selfishly for ice time” to the list. ...

“We’re here to win, and if my part is grabbing the pompoms again, then I’ll shake those things till all the frills fall out of them. It’s all aboard. Whatever it takes, let’s do it. Hopefully, I’m a part of it. But whoever is in my spot or not in my spot will do an admirable job, and we’ll cheer him on with everything we’ve got.”
I brought the beer.

Reactions: Dom - OHL and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

He's brought reality to the conversation. Something that you'd be well served by trying to incorporate into your posts. You know, instead of lecturing another poster that Backes is selflessly laying it all on the line for the team, like he doesn't get anything out of it. :laugh:

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

So when doing his best is not good enough, Backes starts putting himself in dangerous situations for his health. And you think that's " doing more than lip service".

Really!!!

Reactions: LSCII

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
giphy.gif

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
He's brought reality to the conversation. Something that you'd be well served by trying to incorporate into your posts. You know, instead of lecturing another poster that Backes is selflessly laying it all on the line for the team, like he doesn't get anything out of it. :laugh:
3 more shit takes - at least you’re efficient

So when doing his best is not good enough, Backes starts putting himself in dangerous situations for his health. And you think that's " doing more than lip service".

Really!!!
Yup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad