Player Discussion David Backes: Waived

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
True and I totally understand this. I really wish David would retire, for his health's sake.

If he does end up reporting to Providence, he'll be under even a greater risk of getting a career ending concussion for a few reasons, but the main ones, is there will always be some knuckle head trying to make a name for himself and Challenging Backes to a fight or taking runs at him.

A player coach would be ideal for him, if he wasn't one hit away from suffering yet another serious concussion. It really is time for him to hang them up.

Reactions: BMC and Lady Rhian

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
I'm very sad to see this happen. I watched David Backes for several years when I had Center Ice and I just loved him. I was happy when he signed with the Bruins although like everyone else I thought the term was a bit too long. Then the injuries & concussions hit and he was not able to play the way he & the rest of us expected. Yet through it all he conducted himself with professionalism and a grace rarely seen these days, which has only deepened my respect for him.

Thank you #42 and Godspeed.
Well said, @BMC .

Reactions: BMC and SPB2776

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Does it make you a bad person if you do both? Asking for a friend.
I checked with a, err, friend ...... and I say it depends on the neighbors wife and what’s being served for dinner. Excuse me.... my mistake.... “he says....”.:laugh:

I kid people.... I kid.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I was speaking of the Seven Deadly Sins, not the Ten Commandments. They are not canon, per se, but certainly religion based. Regardless, there is a lot of envy in this thread, and not much gluttony. Me, I will never criticize anyone for making as much money as possible, regardless of the amount. I myself have never said no to a raise, and one must ask oneself if they would either and at what point would that raise be "too much". I know I've never seen a Lottery winner take only half the money.

And besides, nobody really knows what David Backes does with his money, for all we know he gives it away to the poor, or buys animal shelters, or sponsors third world children. And you know what, it's also none of our business. He entered a contract, he fulfilled a contract, and that is between him and the Bruins.

The rest is just . . . envy.

You're looking at this as David Backes specifically, when then conversation was about if there is a such thing as "enough". Me wanting someone else with more than enough for 10 lifetimes to have less so others can have more has nothing to do with envy.

So in my case you are off base. But for others this might fit.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
My only regret is that he didn't play game 7. Who knows, he goes to the cage, a pass from Kurlay is redirected off of his posterior and the Bruins are off and running. Who knows what he would have willed himself to do in that situation. Oh well, a guy can dream...
I am sure I will get flamed for this, but I also believe he should have played G7. He played like a house on fire in G2 after being benched in G1. I think his physical element and taking the body would have been very beneficial and would have helped offset Berube’s Flyers tactics that harken all the way back to 1974 (commit so many penalties that the refs can’t possibly call them all).

Speaking of non-calls, how is it that Rask is on IR for concussion and player safety has not uttered a peep, even if only to make a perfunctory statement that they reviewed the tape and concluded that discipline was not appropriate (or even better impose discipline). Not the first time they have looked the other way. That sends the wrong message and encourages, rather than deters, buffoonery on the ice. It also gives a pass to refs who miss or do not make calls on the ice.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
True and I totally understand this. I really wish David would retire, for his health's sake.

When he was concussed earlier this year he refused LTIR.That would have been perfect for Bruins for this year and he still gets paid.Now he is waived and gets the bus in minors to get paid .Not sure where this is going but unless Bruins want to part with picks etc I do not see no trades with him involved.RedWings is where I would be looking to take him (8 team list not sure they on it).They are clearly rebuilding and could take this on without it being a hindrance in short term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad