Player Discussion David Backes: Waived

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Being no fan of either Backes or Ritchie, I'm still not sure what a 4 game sample split on one side into a micro-sample is supposed to prove. The fact that Coyle, Heinen and Krejci are deployed for PP minutes and that is not mentioned by that twithead is a likely sign of their dubious intentions.

Those numbers are usually 5-on-5, so it wouldn't count any PP time. As you said, it's a small sample size. I think the main goal of advanced stats should be to confirm what the eyes tell us, and I don't think anyone would be surprised to hear that Coyle and Heinen play better with anyone else than they do with Backes or Ritchie. At this point, neither Backes or Ritchie fit what this team wants to do, so trying to force that "physicality" into the lineup just doesn't work.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
When will this end. So sick of watching this guy on this team

Do you not know how hard he tries out there though? And he had a strained pinky, cracked big toenail, and several other debilitating injuries 12 years ago that are still impacting him today...:naughty:

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Sad to see even with his best training he did since coming here is not enough to stop father time. Carey, Bjork, Steen or Gaunce are better options. He looked good vs AHL talent in the pre-season games but once the real stuff started the speed ramped up.

Like watching a heavyweight fighter past his prime. It is scary when he has the puck with his head down, guys are just lining him up. He has taken a few hard hits already and it's early. Going have to be some tough decisions soon. Nordy solidified the 4th line, so no more open spots there.

Reactions: Blowfish

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Strange how this went silent until their first loss and then the wailing and moaning kicked back in.... actually not strange at all really.

I can only watch Backes shoot the puck into the goalies chest so many times before it gets old. He hasn't been terrible but he's not an everyday player anymore.

The problem is that he's being forced into a role he's not built for anymore and we already have plenty of better 4th line options.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Clearly it was because every one was okay with Backes' play prior to the loss and he is just being scapegoated.
People were pretty positive on his play in his first two games.

I can only watch Backes shoot the puck into the goalies chest so many times before it gets old. He hasn't been terrible but he's not an everyday player anymore.

The problem is that he's being forced into a role he's not built for anymore and we already have plenty of better 4th line options.
Wait a second - he’s not been used as a everyday player, and he only got 8 min in the last game- seems like they’re using him exactly as what you think he is

What has he done to help them win? He's been a healthy scratch is about the best thing you can say.
Nah - you could say he had as many shots against Vegas as Krejci, Kuraly, Ritchie, Khulman, and Heinen combined. Could say that against Dallas he had as many as Marchand, Pasta, Lindholm, Wagner, and Coyle combined. . . and that he was getting 4th line minutes in both wins. His forcheck set up some real good chances as well.

Reactions: Boston Bandit

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
People were pretty positive on his play in his first two games.

Wait a second - he’s not been used as a everyday player, and he only got 8 min in the last game- seems like they’re using him exactly as what you think he is

Nah - you could say he had as many shots against Vegas as Krejci, Kuraly, Ritchie, Khulman, and Heinen combined. Could say that against Dallas he had as many as Marchand, Pasta, Lindholm, Wagner, and Coyle combined. . . and that he was getting 4th line minutes in both wins. His forcheck set up some real good chances as well.

Healthy scratch again today. Multiple times already this season. Seems like the coach knows he's not good enough to play every day. When will you accept that truth?

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Quick question - how’s many goals have they given up with Backes on the ice this year?
Are you saying Backes has anything to do with that?
Oh... ok I see it now. He's so slow to go to the offensive zone, so by default he is the first one at back checking. :laugh:

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Healthy scratch again today. Multiple times already this season. Seems like the coach knows he's not good enough to play every day. When will you accept that truth?

I know there was a lot positive about how he had enhanced his skating in the off-season, but I feel like I’m the only one who put almost zero stock in Backes’ couple of weeks with a skating coach.

There were people here who thought that was actually going to make a noticeable difference? Like if Backes wants to get even better, I’m sure I could find him some very insightful YouTube videos!

But yeah Lonnie. We should be eating crow on Backes’ Magical Turnaround. :laugh:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
So you're implying he belongs in the lineup, but it's all on Cassidy for not playing him?

Laughable. Absolutely laughable.
No-you’re trying to make that my point - like you tried to claim the only thing I could say he did positive was get scratched. Really seems like you’re arguing and laughing at yourself here.

He may be an everyday player, might not be, but when he’s been in he’s been pretty good so far - out performing a few of the “regulars” and that after outperforming quite a few of the “hopefuls” in the preseason.

But hey keep grinding your old axe - you’ll sharpen up soon.

This is a defense for playing him? :laugh:
It’s a response to triple ! ! ! fears of him being “exposed”. I mean Spooner can have em but should at least check in with what’s happened so far this season.:laugh:

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
No-you’re trying to make that my point - like you tried to claim the only thing I could say he did positive was get scratched. Really seems like you’re arguing and laughing at yourself here.

He may be an everyday player, might not be, but when he’s been in he’s been pretty good so far - out performing a few of the “regulars” and that after outperforming quite a few of the “hopefuls” in the preseason.

It amazes me that you take training camp so seriously.
And for that matter the beginning of the season. Most teams struggle with the defense and offense, players not in sync yet...

Imagine Backes has problems following now when players are not in full mode.
What will happen when the well oil machine will be firering on all cylinders!!! Backes will hurt his neck trying to follow the action with his eyes...

Reactions: Estlin

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I forgot how little what actually happens translates to what the usual torch and pitchfork crew think in here. So I will ...

giphy.gif

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

It’s a response to triple ! ! ! fears of him being “exposed”. I mean Spooner can have em but should at least check in with what’s happened so far this season.:laugh:

What's happened so far this season is he's been healthy scratched for more games than not, and played sparingly in the games he did dress. The coach is clearly trying to not put him in a position to be exposed, because that's who Backes is now. A bad player that can be exposed by teams if given too great a role. He's a spare part, at most.

Reactions: Spooner st
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad