Player Discussion David Backes IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Of course I hope he's ok. But that's not what the other posters predicted with the 20 goal estimates.

The single best thing that could happen is for Backes to be ok and score 20. Only a crazy person would think otherwise on this board.

Only a crazy person sees he gets knocked out of a game.....scurries to find the Backes thread.....and makes an a hole comment during a game where the Bruins are looking phenomenal vs their opponent

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
He had a good last minute....other than that the first period I didn't hear his name once. He ugly hacked a guy. Completely whiffed on pp wide open net and his line still hasn't registered a point and continues to be hemmed in the D zone. How is that playing good?
Let's see, was pretty physical the whole night, his line did not get scored on, he won 75% of his face offs and killed penalties. I guess Heinen and Bjork are being held back by the old, slow guy in your mind.

Oh. Also it's still kinda hockey and it was an entertaining physical game last night. That "hack" was well placed and a sign of somebody actually being ****** off on the ice, something the game needs more of. Not necessarily the stick work but playing angry

Last edited:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Some people need to realize just because your not putting up points doesn’t mean your not playing good. Guys tough as nails. He’s a solid option as a 3rd line center and the points are coming if they keep that line intact. Only a matter of time.
I would like to see Bjork go to the net more, he had a couple chances last night and didn't do so but I love his speed on that line. All three are smart defensive players and if nothing else they will he a good shutdown line that should be able to score a little bit.

This could solve one if my biggest complaints about Sweeney's off season if the number 3 center was already on the team

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Let's see, was pretty physical the whole night, his line did not get scored on, he won 75% of his face offs and killed penalties. I guess Heinen and Bjork are being held back by the old, slow guy in your mind.

Oh. Also it's still kinda hockey and it was an entertaining physical game last night. That "hack" was well placed and a sign of somebody actually being ****** off on the ice, something the game needs more of. Not necessarily the stick work but playing angry
i guess we see the game differently. First, I enjoyed the physicality of last nights game as well as the offense displayed by some of the young stars like Pasta and McDavid.
I remain lost as to how someone can say Backes was physical. I thought he got absolutely run over by a clean hit by a much smaller Drake Caggiula and then chased him and delivered a follow up hit followed by a nasty slash to the back of Caggiula's legs. I thought it was a selfish and cheap play and he was lucky he didn't somehow get an extra two and put the Bruins on the PK when up 3 to 1. Yes he won faceoff's but to my eye I saw Heinen and Bjork ahead of him in the o zone and usually back before him on the D.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Some people need to realize just because your not putting up points doesn’t mean your not playing good. Guys tough as nails. He’s a solid option as a 3rd line center and the points are coming if they keep that line intact. Only a matter of time.

The line isn't creating anything offensively. It's a concern. Bjork does need some time to re-grove being out for some time. Hoping the line picks up but I just don't see Backes as the solution.

Reactions: TheReal13Linseman

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
He's a $6 million player playing in the role of a $2.25 million player. The fact that some people are ok with that continues to boggle the mind. I know that nothing can likely be done about it at this point, but at least admit it, for G-d's sake.

calvin-n-hobbes.jpg

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
He's a $6 million player playing in the role of a $2.25 million player. The fact that some people are ok with that continues to boggle the mind. I know that nothing can likely be done about it at this point, but at least admit it, for G-d's sake.

Someone in game night thread he could see Backes retire soon. Do players actually retire midway through a contract? Maybe for health reasons but what about ineffective play? Perhaps concussions, injuries, and overall wellness are playing a factor in a possible decision to retire.

Hate being down on this guy because I've always liked him but at $6 million he needs to produce and help his line produce. It ain't happening. Not even close. Being a once upon effective player should not sway our impression of him helping this team.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I don’t think there is a poster on this board that thinks Backes is worth the $6m he’s getting and are “ok with it”?

At this point, you have to just deal with it and put the guy in the best position to succeed regardless of salary (like Tampa is doing with Callahan).

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
i guess we see the game differently. First, I enjoyed the physicality of last nights game as well as the offense displayed by some of the young stars like Pasta and McDavid.
I remain lost as to how someone can say Backes was physical. I thought he got absolutely run over by a clean hit by a much smaller Drake Caggiula and then chased him and delivered a follow up hit followed by a nasty slash to the back of Caggiula's legs. I thought it was a selfish and cheap play and he was lucky he didn't somehow get an extra two and put the Bruins on the PK when up 3 to 1. Yes he won faceoff's but to my eye I saw Heinen and Bjork ahead of him in the o zone and usually back before him on the D.

This is a little disingenuous.

Caggiula did give Backes a good hit, but Backes retaliatory hit was clean as well. At that point Caggiula grabbed Backes with his free arm as he was falling and hauled Backes down, then wouldn’t let him up. That’s what the slash was for, and likely why the refs evened it up.

If you want to bit** about something on that play, how about the lack of a penalty for the cheap shot by Strome on Backes when he was already engaged with Caggiula.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Nobody is fine with it. We can either accept where we are at with him, and have a positive attitude about it moving forward, or lament his contract every single day. I'll pass on the later.

Thank God @EverettMike isn't a troll or glory whore because he's basically been right about every deal/signing or trade, good and bad over the past five years. More people should have that attitude around here.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
This is a little disingenuous.

Caggiula did give Backes a good hit, but Backes retaliatory hit was clean as well. At that point Caggiula grabbed Backes with his free arm as he was falling and hauled Backes down, then wouldn’t let him up. That’s what the slash was for, and likely why the refs evened it up.

If you want to bit** about something on that play, how about the lack of a penalty for the cheap shot by Strome on Backes when he was already engaged with Caggiula.

I actually loved Backes's fire on that play. Was shocked they didn't call him for the slash as he didn't even try to disguise it; got lucky on that. Yes, try to use him as best we can is all we can do. I truly wish he were something like he was with StL and really hope he can salvage something.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Only a crazy person sees he gets knocked out of a game.....scurries to find the Backes thread.....and makes an a hole comment during a game where the Bruins are looking phenomenal vs their opponent
so did he not return after that fight? Sorry, had to zip out and literally only watched up to his "fight". I hated that Strome blindsided him, so unnecessary and dangerous

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Plenty of teams have to deal with a contract or two that are less than optimal. In some cases the GM should have seen a decline coming before signing a player (as is the case with Backes), and in other cases things just don't work out for whatever reason. Either way, if a player cannot moved and has a bad contract then you have to cope with it the best way possible. In the case of Backes I think that Cassidy is doing the best he can. I do believe Backes can contribute in some way to the Bs. Glad they are at least trying him at center. Might not work out, and if it doesn't then try him somewhere else, even if it is at a spot that is not ideal for a high priced player. He's not washed up and totally useless. I'd keep him at center for a while longer. You cannot expect two youngsters and a guy who hasn't played center consistently in a long time to have instant chemistry.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Nobody is fine with it. We can either accept where we are at with him, and have a positive attitude about it moving forward, or lament his contract every single day. I'll pass on the later.

Thank God @EverettMike isn't a troll or glory ****e because he's basically been right about every deal/signing or trade, good and bad over the past five years. More people should have that attitude around here.

Mike's no saint; even HE would likely admit that!! Be like Mike? Dear Lord, no. There is, and should only ever be, one Everett Mike... :D:laugh::nod: . But sure, I hope Backes does better. There are still a few here, though, who are seemingly satisfied with what Backes brings every night; they were to whom my comments were primarily directed.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

This.

He seems like a good leader, but certain fans have lowered their standards to an egregious degree in their evaluations of his play.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Someone in game night thread he could see Backes retire soon. Do players actually retire midway through a contract? Maybe for health reasons but what about ineffective play? Perhaps concussions, injuries, and overall wellness are playing a factor in a possible decision to retire.

Hate being down on this guy because I've always liked him but at $6 million he needs to produce and help his line produce. It ain't happening. Not even close. Being a once upon effective player should not sway our impression of him helping this team.

Zetterberg just did it.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: very good point. What about Belesky?

I actually really liked Matt Beleskey in his first year in a Bruins uniform. Maybe his point production wasn’t as high as people wanted in a top 6 role, but I thought he was well worth the money with the energy he brought.

But it’s pretty close. Matt Beleskey showing up once every ten games at 3.8 million AAV isn’t any more or less satisfying to me than David Backes’ performance for 6 million AAV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad