NHL Entry Draft: DaveG's 3rd Annual Mocking of the Draft

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
1 New York Islanders - C John Tavares
Obvious choice here. The Isles not only need top end players at all skill positions, they need a face to the franchise. Tavares is the best prospect to fill that since Crosby. While I can understand a lot of people saying "build from the net out" to take Hedman, remember that the Islanders have more then 1 first, and that defensemen are a riskier proposition in the first then forwards.
Other Potential Pick: D Victor Hedman

2 Tampa Bay Lightning - D Victor Hedman
The first potential trade spot in the draft (only if the Isles take Hedman) is a Tampa team that probably shouldn't have been QUITE as bad last year as they were. Don't get me wrong, that team has quite a few issues, but the biggest ones on the team are a lack of a top end defenseman other then Meszaros, who's a #2 or 3 on most teams. Hedman gives them a prospect that, within 3 or 4 years, should be a legit #1 and projects to be a Norris candidate. This is the most hyped defensive prospect since Pronger.
Other Possible Picks: D Dimitri Kulikov, D OEL, D Jared Cowen (all after trading down)

3 Colorado Avalanche - C Matt Duchene
This team has a lot of quality depth players, but the issue is they're lacking legit top end talent outside of Stastny up front. With the need for an eventual replacement for Sakic, the Avs fan Duchene is the not only the obvious pick but the right one as well. I don't have him as far separated from Evander Kane as most, but stylistically Duchene is just a better fit for Colorado long term.
Other Possible Pick: C Evander Kane

4 Atlanta Thrashers - C Evander Kane
This team needs a bit of work up front. The Thrashers have done a great job rebuilding their defense over the past few years with Bogosian and Enstrom leading the way. That said, where they really need help is up front again, where they're STILL recovering from the loss of Marc Savard. Kane is the easy choice as he has the versatility to be that #1 C they need or that #1 RW they need.
Other Possible Pick: C Brayden Schenn

5 Los Angeles Kings - C Brayden Schenn
The Kings already have one of the best two-way centers in hockey in Stoll, but they still could use at least 2 more defensive forwards and someone that projects to be their #2 behind Kopitar. In comes Schenn, who fills both needs. He's the best player on the board at this point and fills the team needs rather well to say the least. That said, the Kings have never been ones to go the conventional route under DL and could easily shake things up.
Other Possible Picks: C Nazem Kadri, W MPS

6 Phoenix Coyotes - D Dimitri Kulikov
Really with the consensus top 5 off the board the Yotes could go in a number of directions and still be making the right move. I don't put Kulikov in here out of team need, Phoenix rarely drafts like that, I put him in here as I see him as the best player available with the fewest question marks around him. Phoenix management could see someone completely different and still be right, that's how much of a craps shoot it is at this point.
Other Possible Picks: D Cowen, D OEL, W MPS

7 Toronto Maple Leafs - D Jared Cowen
The obvious pick here is Brayden Schenn if he's still onboard... I don't think he will be. As of right now we REALLY have no idea what way Burke will go in the draft. Cowen makes the most sense as Burke loves the big tough guys and I have him as my best player on the board at #7, although there are certainly some valid concerns about the injury situation.
Other Possible Picks: C Nazem Kadri, W MPS, D OEL

8 Dallas Stars - D Oliver Ekman-Larsson
This team is fairly solid down the middle and on the left side, where they really need help, both in terms of system and play, is on the back end. Larsson is likely BPA even if they didn't need defense, but as is they'll be looking for a replacement for Zubov soon enough and he's likely their best bet there. Very slick offensive defenseman with a good defensive game.
Other Possible Picks: D John Moore, D Ryan Ellis, C Nazem Kadri, W MPS

9 Ottawa Senators - W Magnus Paajarvi-Svenson
Depending on what the reported Heatley trade negotiations could bring this team could go in a number of directions. I do not see Zubov as the long term answer down the middle, although they have a number of short term ones in place. But if Heatley is moved out (which I believe he will be) the most likely need they will have is a top end LW, which is where MPS can step in eventually. I like Foligno but I think he tops out as a #2 LW, MPS represents a higher upside.

10 Edmonton Oilers - C Scott Glennie
The Oilers are in a bit of a rough spot. Eberle is potentially their sniper of the future but he's still a year away from cracking the lineup, and another one or two from being an impact player (strictly IMO). But they'll still need a secondary finisher. Glennie does not really represent that although he's a move in the right direction there. But what he does represent is a move towards bigger, more physical two-way forwards that are needed to win in the Western Conference.
Other Possible Picks: C Nazem Kadri, RW Zach Kassian

11 Nashville Predators - F Jordan Schroeder
This is a tricky one that could go a few different directions due to the possability of Radulov coming back. That said I have Schroeder over Kadri as the best player available and, with the instant chemistry he has with Wilson, a playmaker for a potentially potent future first line in Nashville. This is a team that wasn't far off from making the playoffs last year and could easily find its way back in so don't expect them to rush whoever they take.
Other Possible Pick: C Nazem Kadri

12 Minnesota Wild - C Nazem Kadri
This team could be in for a long rebuild if Gaborik does in fact jet to Vancouver. But even if they do retain him they could use another high end forward prospect in the system, although now that they're no longer running a system that stifles almost all offensive creativity that may not actually be the case. Either way, I have Kadri as the best forward available here and his slide finally stops. They could easily move Kadri to the wing (which I think better suits his game) to be a good finisher to play alongside Koivu.
Other Possible Picks: D John Moore, C Louis Leblanc, C Chris Kreider

13 Buffalo Sabres - RW Zach Kassian
With this teams recent trend of drafting what are more or less smurfs up front they could really use is a physical presence to keep other teams from taking runs at them... assuming they can catch their smaller forwards. Kassian represents that as well as the need for a potentially high end RW, although strictly in a complementary "crash the net to get all my scoring done" role. Not that there's ANYTHING wrong with that, Espo made a living doing that.
Other Possible Picks: RW Carter Ashton, RW Zach Budish

14 Florida Panthers - D John Moore
With the immenent departure of Bouwmeester the Panthers once again have defense as an option with this pick, I see it being used to take the best player on the board in Moore. They could go in a few other directions though, although IMO should be focused down the middle as I'm not a believer in Mathias in the least.
Other Possible Picks: C Kreider, C Leblanc, C Jacob Josefson

15 Anaheim Ducks - C Jacob Josefson
Really other then in net this team doesn't need a lot in their rebuilding process. The frightening prospect of losing Niedermayer AND Pronger in the next two years may push them towards Ellis as having the highest upside available on D. But I see them playing it safe and going with Josefson who projects to be a very solid #2 center behind Getzlaf. A solid two-way playmaking center would make for a good one-two punch in Anaheim.
Other Possible Picks: D Ryan Ellis, C Leblanc, C Kreider

16 Columbus Blue Jackets - D Ryan Ellis
This is a team that really doesn't need a lot, but one of the big things they do need is a true offensive defenseman. I'm not suggesting they've soured on Kris Russell at all, but the fact of the matter is that they could easily use another one. Ellis is the best and most talented player on the board at this point as well. If he were 3 inches taller and 15 lbs heavier we'd be talking about him along with Duchene in the 3-4 tier this year.
Other Possible Picks: RW Carter Ashton, C Chris Kreider, C Louis Leblanc, D David Rundblad

17 St. Louis Blues - C Chris Kreider
This is a team that really doesn't need a lot and can afford to take its time with their first round pick. Kreider may have some of the best hands in the draft and posesses an elite set of wheels to go with it, and a pure sniper threat is something the Blues have been needing for a while. They may move either him or Oshie to the wing if this is the direction they chose to go. There is not a high end goaltender that is likely to go first round in this draft so they won't go that direction until the 2nd round at the earliest, otherwise that would be my pick here regardless of BPA.
Other Possible Picks: C Louis Leblanc, RW Carter Ashton, RW Landon Ferraro, RW Jordan Caron

18 Montreal Canadiens - C Louis Leblanc
They're loaded on the wings, but rather shallow in terms of high end centermen. They can take their time with him, but he's something that I just don't see from any of the other prospects in their system at the moment as odd as that is to say for a team that has a lot of young talent.
Other Possible Picks: RW Jordan Caron, D David Rundblad, D Simon Despres

19 New York Rangers - RW Zach Budish
This is a gamble of a pick, but the Rangers have never been afraid to take the gamble on a high end player themselves in the past. Budish would likely be right up there with Kane and Schenn if he wasn't injured this year and is possibly the nastiest PF in the draft. This fills the Rangers long term needs at both positions and could make for an interesting draft pick.
Other Possible Picks: RW Carter Ashton, C Drew Shore, D David Rundblad

20 Calgary Flames - D David Rundblad
This is a team that at one point a few years back was considered to have the best defensive corps in the league. Of course, that was also before Mike Keenan happened. But right now that defense is in rebuild mode and they only have one high end defensive prospect. It's not an urgent need with some of the guys they have in the system but it's one they definitely should address this year.
Other Possible Picks: RW Carter Ashton, D Calvin de Hann, D Simon Despres

21 Philadelphia Flyers - RW Carter Ashton
Another team that I would have taking a goalie if there were one worth drafting in the first round available. Right now I have them taking Ashton as BPA, but that could go to any number of players. He fits the Flyers mold of a big, physical, power forward type with some skill to him.
Other Possible Picks: D Despres, D Nick Leddy, D de Hann

22 Vancouver Canucks - D Simon Despres
This is a team without many real needs so I see them going with the best player available (Despres at this point). They could go any number of directions though, especially with the prospect of losing the Sedins. Although that may be offset if they do indeed sign Gaborik. They have an interesting mix on their blueline of young talent and veteran players, but they definitely could use another defenseman prospect.
Other Possible Picks: D de Hann, D Leddy, C Peter Holland

23 New Jersey Devils - D Calvin de Hann
Not sure which direction these guys are going to go this year, they're pretty strong at most positions other then in net. And even there Frazee has started to turn things around a bit. They tend to go BPA and here I see that being de Hann. I think he could fit a need for another high end defenseman as well for them, but at the least should fit in nicely with a group that includes Corrente, Burlon and Martin.
Other Possible Picks: C Holland, D Leddy, C Shore

24 Washington Capitals - RW Jordan Caron
Caron addresses what is probably the only true positional weaknesses in an organization that is loaded with talent. Caron gives them a true power forward, which is also something the organization could use, although they're not lacking for size with the skill they have up front. Don't be surprised if they end up going in another direction.
Other Possible Picks: C Shore, C Kyle Palmieri, D Leddy, D Tim Erixon, RW Landon Ferraro

25 Boston Bruins - C Kyle Palmieri
The Palmieri pick is strictly BPA, but they could decide that just about anyone is BPA at this point. This really is a team without many needs and they may be one of the most active teams in trying to move up in the draft. If someone tries to drop out of the top 10 I can see them dangling this pick and Bergeron for their pick and a 2nd or 3rd.
Other Possible Picks: RW Ferraro, D Leddy, D Erixon, C Shore

26 New York Islanders (from San Jose) - D Nick Leddy
Having drafted Tavares the Islanders look towards addressing their defense with this next pick. I honestly see them going more the offensive defenseman route here with Leddy then more of a two-way guy like Erixon.
Other Possible Picks: D Erixon, D Dylan Olsen, D Stefan Elliott

27 Carolina Hurricanes - RW Landon Ferraro
For a team that made the conference finals there are actually a few holes in the system. They could use a sniper and a power forward about as much as the other when looking at possibilities for this pick. I feel Ferraro fits this need the most when looking at the available options despite his lack of size. He has a strong two-way game and arguably one of the top 3 shots in the entire draft. There are one or two others I could see the Canes going with here that are still on this drafts board.
Other Possible Picks: LW Carl Klingberg, C Shore, LW Jeremy Morin

28 Chicago Blackhawks - C Drew Shore
Not sure which way they'll go, but they're prettymuch loaded at all positions so Shore makes sense to me. I see him developing into something of a Jordan Staal type role on a team like Chicago that is heavy with centerman depth. Only position I can see them going after someone in is goalie, and they'd trade down to do it.
Other Possible Picks: LW Klingberg, D Erixon, LW Morin

29 Detroit Red Wings - D Tim Erixon
Another team that really has no urgent needs at any position. I do think that if they draft Erixon he would be their top defensive prospect in their system, but that's not a slight to Kindl or Smith. They could go basically any direction with this pick including trading down.
Other Possible Picks: LW Klingberg, LW Morin

30 Pittsburgh Penguins - LW Jeremy Morin
I have the Pens bucking their recent trend when it comes to drafting forwards and going with a winger in this case. He's likely BPA at this point but he also fits team need being a sniping winger that could nicely compliment either Crosby or Malkin. I could also see them going for a player like Olsen as a defensive defenseman.
Other Possible Pick: D Dylan Olsen

2nd round to come later... if I have time tonight.

comments, criticisms? I'm definitely open to changing things around if fans of various teams don't like their pick

Diskothek

Aug 15, 2007
I don't see Boston taking a forward with their first rounder, even at a crapshoot spot. D is a big concern for their system, having Hunwick graduated and Lashoff traded. We also have UFA's in Provo in Boychuk and a couple others I believe. We already have forward projects in Hamill, Colborne, Sobotka, and Marchand.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I don't see Boston taking a forward with their first rounder, even at a crapshoot spot. D is a big concern for their system, having Hunwick graduated and Lashoff traded. We also have UFA's in Provo in Boychuk and a couple others I believe. We already have forward projects in Hamill, Colborne, Sobotka, and Marchand.

Makes sense to me. Do you think they'd be more inclined to go for a defensive defenseman (Olson or Erixon) or more of an offensive guy (Leddy)? I'm leaning towards just bumping Erixon up and switching Palmieri out with Olson upon reading that.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad