News Article: Dave Tippett appreciation thread.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I know man, I was hopeful too but you need more than a few high end players to win in this league.

I think both teams were lethargic in the first two games. I have a feeling that it was hard for them to translate that regular season into playoff energy without fans. Habs-Leafs was missing some of that juice too IMO especially compared to the U.S. series which have been wars. Not an excuse of course but it seemed like both teams had a hard time finding that next level until Game 3.

I agree though, it's frustrating especially considering that it's McDavid's 6th season and they're still getting bounced in the 1st round. Unfortunately, the previous regime screwed up that timeline so now, in Holland's 3rd season, he'll finally have some flexibility to undo the mess the previous regime created.
This offseason will arguably be the most important in Oilers history. It's going to be an extremely important and intriguing offseason starting pretty soon so lets see what Holland is made of because, man does he have his work cut out for him.
Well said! I can get on board with that. This team went without a playoff appearance for 13 or 14 years. Whatever it was. A few one and done seasons aren’t the end of the world

I think another thing that hurts is we made it to the second round of the playoffs 3 years ago against the Ducks. Seemed everything was moving in the right direction lol.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I'm firmly on. the fire Tippett train now, but I will say he deserves a lot of credit for the way young guys like Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Bear, Jones, and McLeod have jumped into the lineup and developed. If he's gone next season, that will be as much his legacy here as his playoff failures.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Put me on the fire Tippet train. He is too stubborn and old school. He needs to be able to adapt better in the playoffs. The bottom line his playoff record sucks, he needs to go.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What happened to your boy Kahun? Couldn't get a game in. Doesn't bode well for him being re-signed.

I dunno. He should be perform better in the press box. too much eating popcorn. In both game 1,2 he made some nice plays where others weren't doing much. He was Tippetts regular foil for drawing in and out but then again Dave plays Bear, Dave plays favorites. Is what it is.

Looking at the skill, or lack of it on this team its telling that Kahun, Shore, Ennis are better options than some of the duds out there but Ennis didn't get a result, neither did Shore, but played hard and were good pushing pucks up North.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Todd McLellan playoff record w/Oilers: 7 wins, 6 losses

Dave Tippett playoff record w/Oilers: 1 win, 7 losses

And sure the 16-17 team on paper had better forward depth, but Eberle/RNH did dick all in that playoff run (0 goals between them) and they still had a better run and arguably 16-17 Sharks and Ducks are better teams than Hawks and Jets.

Tippett sucks at coaching in the playoffs, has been badly outcoached two years in a row, was dumb enough to bet the farm on Bear again and not give Bouchard any playing time in meaningless regular season games.

Reactions: MessierII

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Lol, you're never too old to learn a lesson, are you.;) NEVER, EVER dismiss and disrepect the opposition. That karma came back and bit us big time.

I don't believe in that nature of Karma. I don't believe in superstition either.

hey, if I'm a player ON the team i don't make comments like that. I have nothing to do with the team and I don't end up on locker room walls. when it comes to opponents I talk smack. I don't see harm in it really. It doesn't mean or change or impact anything. I don't post on mains for instance. If people want to rib me over it like you're doing, fine. I wanted to believe in the Oilers getting something this post season.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I just hated loading up a line with Mcdavid and Drai. It’s not a good strategy especially in the playoffs. That’s my only criticism. I don’t love the 1-3-1 when we’re up. Albeit most of the season it got them success.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I just hated loading up a line with Mcdavid and Drai. It’s not a good strategy especially in the playoffs. That’s my only criticism. I don’t love the 1-3-1 when we’re up. Albeit most of the season it got them success.
I think he’s a good regular season coach. But he gets exposed and his systems break down when he is unable to adjust in the playoffs.

Reactions: ujju2

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don't believe in that nature of Karma. I don't believe in superstition either.

hey, if I'm a player ON the team i don't make comments like that. I have nothing to do with the team and I don't end up on locker room walls. when it comes to opponents I talk smack. I don't see harm in it really. It doesn't mean or change or impact anything. I don't post on mains for instance. If people want to rib me over it like you're doing, fine. I wanted to believe in the Oilers getting something this post season.
I wanted to believe in the Oilers as well. But refrained from talking smack about an opponent that clearly was not given much respect on this board. If the Jets have a lousy defence, what does that make ours? Scares me to think of where we would be if Nurse and Larsson didn't play most of the games

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think both teams were feeling their way in Game 1 as well as Game 2. I didn't feel like either team played with much playoff energy perhaps due to there being empty buildings, I don't know.

What I'm saying is that a lot of folks underestimated the Jets and set unrealistic expectations for what the Oilers are. I also picked the Oilers, in 7, with a lot of hesitation because I knew that the Jets would up their game in the playoffs and that the easy offense that came to the Oilers would be a lot harder to come by in the playoff grind. It's just not a team built to grind over a long playoff series, not enough depth, not enough skill throughout the lineup, not enough guys who push to the hard areas of the ice with relentless pressure.

With all that said, every single game could have easily swung the other way. As you said, hockey is cruel and there's usually a very fine line between winning and losing which was especially prevalent in this series where the margins were razor thin. Some people look at a sweep and assume the Oilers got trounced but this was a toss up series and the other team just had more guys who could finish and got a few bounces that the Oilers didn't. Now Holland needs to reshape this roster to put them in a better position to win these close games.

The jets like I say fooled me. Whether their immense stumble was orchestrated, laziness, who knows. People can check back, at seasons start I had them competing for 2nd spot, pretty much just what they were. I HAD respect for that club when Schiefele used to play responsible, Wheeler used to play well, and that it was a veteran squad. But they so engaged in free fall, and Schiefele and Wheeler were bad against us all season, and both were scratched, that I wondered whether the Jets were going in the ditch. A month ago that was a plausible scenario, and most Jets fans even had that view.

In retrospect it looks like the Jets took a month off, rested, and just wanted to be fresh for playoffs. But again I was stating that the Oilers SHOULD have parked McDrai, Nurse, Larsson etc, the last number of games. Or at least play them 12 mins a night. No reason not to headed into playoffs.

In anycase the Jets club is going nowhere, either in this playoffs or down the road. They're a vet squad and this is their pinacle. it doesnt get better from here for them. I thought they were past it already. But the Oilers still capable of being schooled by vets clubs in the playoffs. That has to stop.

i think where we would all agree was it was inane for the org not to TELL the Core of this club to rest. The sense to do that didn't occur to the core, it wasn't voiced on the bench, but it HAS to come from either vet leadership or the coach and GM. HAS to.

We were riding specific players all season. We rode them mroe in this series. maybe they would have had a bit more gas and jump in game 1'2, even extra gear, had they had some rest.

Jets took rest, Montreal clearly took rest, Toronto took extended vacations. The dumb Oilers figured that every reg season game was important and I think Connor even somehow bought in that 100pts was important.

Its KEY to keep eyes on prize. Did the club unconsciously just settle on the easier prizes? Connor is drawn to excellence always. But even Mackinnon has learned you gotta save more for playoffs. Have to.

Reactions: Cloned

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't think his systems were bad in the playoffs actually. I think he should've stuck with the lineup from game 1, minus Neal and Chiasson, and overall I think he overreacted to the first two losses. But really, it wasn't a systems breakdown that caused the comebacks in game 3 or game 4. Those were mistakes made by individual players playing within a system that had worked all year. I can't fault him for that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I wanted to believe in the Oilers as well. But refrained from talking smack about an opponent that clearly was not given much respect on this board. If the Jets have a lousy defence, what does that make ours? Scares me to think of where we would be if Nurse and Larsson didn't play most of the games

If we allowed to indiscriminately hold, hook and haul throughout the series we'd look a lot better on D as well. The difference as well was as per usual NHL officiating and balanced standard was a joke. As several are questioning Connor McDavid did not draw one penalty in 4 games. There were 25 infractions, not one call.

Yama, Larsson, Drai, they all get called, and questioning the calls, disgusted with the calls, because they know what a blatant double standard was going on.

hey if only the strong survive and the Oilers could just grab Ehlers, Schiefele, Wheeler everytime, they wouldn't have scored much.

I mean look at the penalty Yama got on Ehlers. He was disgusted. He verbally mouthed "you're f***ing kidding" yama got 2mins for being stronger than Ehlers.

By all means if the officials put the whistles away for both sides the Oilers do better. But the Oilers were getting just as many penalties while committing far fewer infractions. The Jets had constant holds at the line as a game plan. Perhaps worse the jets forecheck gameplan was is just haul the guy down, the refs are allowing us to do this..

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The jets like I say fooled me. Whether their immense stumble was orchestrated, laziness, who knows. People can check back, at seasons start I had them competing for 2nd spot, pretty much just what they were. I HAD respect for that club when Schiefele used to play responsible, Wheeler used to play well, and that it was a veteran squad. But they so engaged in free fall, and Schiefele and Wheeler were bad against us all season, and both were scratched, that I wondered whether the Jets were going in the ditch. A month ago that was a plausible scenario, and most Jets fans even had that view.

In retrospect it looks like the Jets took a month off, rested, and just wanted to be fresh for playoffs. But again I was stating that the Oilers SHOULD have parked McDrai, Nurse, Larsson etc, the last number of games. Or at least play them 12 mins a night. No reason not to headed into playoffs.

In anycase the Jets club is going nowhere, either in this playoffs or down the road. They're a vet squad and this is their pinacle. it doesnt get better from here for them. I thought they were past it already. But the Oilers still capable of being schooled by vets clubs in the playoffs. That has to stop.

i think where we would all agree was it was inane for the org not to TELL the Core of this club to rest. The sense to do that didn't occur to the core, it wasn't voiced on the bench, but it HAS to come from either vet leadership or the coach and GM. HAS to.

We were riding specific players all season. We rode them mroe in this series. maybe they would have had a bit more gas and jump in game 1'2, even extra gear, had they had some rest.

Jets took rest, Montreal clearly took rest, Toronto took extended vacations. The dumb Oilers figured that every reg season game was important and I think Connor even somehow bought in that 100pts was important.

Its KEY to keep eyes on prize. Did the club unconsciously just settle on the easier prizes? Connor is drawn to excellence always. But even Mackinnon has learned you gotta save more for playoffs. Have to.
It surprised me how many people here didn’t want to rest any of our players down the stretch.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I really agree with this. The Oilers had pretty much locked up a playoff spot a long time ago. There was no need to really play McDrai 25 minutes down the stretch. Have some confidence that the guys on the team could play some more minutes. But the organization/coaching staff continuously played them too many minutes down the stetch. They could of also given McDavid, Draisaitl, Nurse, Smith the last few games off.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The Oilers sawed off the Jets running the Stack Line and Tippett mad chemistry efforts to try to coax out depth scoring while pushing all chips into the middle that McDavid, Draisaitl, and Puljujarvi would break through. My coaching criticism which is somewhat lukewarm, is after a game one one goal game loss in which the DRY line was solid while McDavid and his line fought through the game plan to clog neutral zone and blanket McDavid, the coach moved too quickly to collapse its depth into one legitimate scoring line. Run your elite line drivers on their own then utilize in-game to manage favorable situational for McDavid/Draisaitl together via match-ups especially on home ice with last change.

Not using a timeout when this team was melting down in a must-win is an inexcusable bad judgement call. The team had clearly lost its composure including a senseless penalty and old, pure panicked play habits needed at least a time-out reprieve to reset. Overall, a significantly underwhelming bottom three lines (and its rotating pieces) held the line defensively and Jets quality top forwards depth won three games for them with could have gone either way.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Hey, I tried to warn you that Schiefele was still a good player. ;) As for resting our best players, don't think that would have suddenly made our depth any better, which was the problem in this series. Our stars didn't look worn down at all to me. We just rely on them too much, due to our crappy depth. We only had 2 games in 8 days heading into playoffs. and McDrai's minutes were limited in those games. I thought our guys were rusty enough as it was in game 1, would have been worse to sit them for any longer. A non issue for me.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If we allowed to indiscriminately hold, hook and haul throughout the series we'd look a lot better on D as well. The difference as well was as per usual NHL officiating and balanced standard was a joke. As several are questioning Connor McDavid did not draw one penalty in 4 games. There were 25 infractions, not one call.

Yama, Larsson, Drai, they all get called, and questioning the calls, disgusted with the calls, because they know what a blatant double standard was going on.

hey if only the strong survive and the Oilers could just grab Ehlers, Schiefele, Wheeler everytime, they wouldn't have scored much.

I mean look at the penalty Yama got on Ehlers. He was disgusted. He verbally mouthed "you're f***ing kidding" yama got 2mins for being stronger than Ehlers.

By all means if the officials put the whistles away for both sides the Oilers do better. But the Oilers were getting just as many penalties while committing far fewer infractions. The Jets had constant holds at the line as a game plan. Perhaps worse the jets forecheck gameplan was is just haul the guy down, the refs are allowing us to do this..
I agree that we don't seem to get a fair shake from the refs, etc, but come on, that's not why we lost.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I think I came around a but and now thinking meh.

They are close to being as good or better than the Anaheim series.

Could have used some luck to get a win against Winnipeg but generally they are playing ok.

They seemed better prepared under McClelland

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I really agree with this. The Oilers had pretty much locked up a playoff spot a long time ago. There was no need to really play McDrai 25 minutes down the stretch. Have some confidence that the guys on the team could play some more minutes. But the organization/coaching staff continuously played them too many minutes down the stetch. They could of also given McDavid, Draisaitl, Nurse, Smith the last few games off.

Oilers only had 2 games in 8 days before the playoffs, and McDavid only played 15/16 minutes in those two games. Not a taxing schedule at all that last week. Would have been worried about rust if they only played in no games in that period.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Oilers only had 2 games in 8 days before the playoffs, and McDavid only played 15/16 minutes in those two games. Not a taxing schedule at all that last week. Would have been worried about rust if they only played in no games in that period.
He hurt his hand in one of those games though and didn’t look right this whole series. Whether that’s mental or physical (or likely both) we don’t really know.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
He hurt his hand in one of those games though and didn’t look right this whole series. Whether that’s mental or physical (or likely both) we don’t really know.

I thought he looked fine when he wasn't getting molested on nearly every shift. ;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I agree that we don't seem to get a fair shake from the refs, etc, but come on, that's not why we lost.

Being that the jets were constantly using infraction as part of their game plan its a considerable part of why we lost an otherwise close series. The Jets even scored multiple PP goals in this series, that were on bogus calls, relatively speaking.

If you didn't see Drai get grabbed hooked and hauled nearly every shift its because you became accustomed to seeing that. yet when the Oilers D, or yama were doing that they get called.

Heres the deal. In any other team sport, Soccer, Football, basketball, it would be the mega star players drawing the calls.

But something different happened in our series. Stictly even up. Thats it, thats all. We had 11PP's and jets 10. But we have the star players that were hard to contain, and that the jets USED constant infractions to contain. It of course matters. If they Oilers get the benefit of doubt of say Washington, Tampa, Boston, Florida, they get 10 more calls. Thats around 2 goals on average.

I mean the Nashville predators, the most offensively inept team in the playoffs has 19PP;s try to explain that or how they are being drawn.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hey, I tried to warn you that Schiefele was still a good player. ;) As for resting our best players, don't think that would have suddenly made our depth any better, which was the problem in this series. Our stars didn't look worn down at all to me. We just rely on them too much, due to our crappy depth. We only had 2 games in 8 days heading into playoffs. and McDrai's minutes were limited in those games. I thought our guys were rusty enough as it was in game 1, would have been worse to sit them for any longer. A non issue for me.

Yep. But Schiefele and Morrissey, Wheeler, they didn't have great seasons. As players age, specifically Wheeler, or have falling out, Schiefele, its possible to think thats something other than a smoke trail. I got duped, good thing I'm not running a pro team..;)

Reactions: bellagiobob

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yep. But Schiefele and Morrissey, Wheeler, they didn't have great seasons. As players age, specifically Wheeler, or have falling out, Schiefele, its possible to think thats something other than a smoke trail. I got duped, good thing I'm not running a pro team..;)
Good thing you’re not the head coach. But unfortunately you might actually be a improvement over the guy we currently have. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Bring on John Tortorella, I want to see a coach finally bench guys for being useless and call out the league and refs after every game. Would at least making the losing entertaining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad