News Article: Dave Tippett appreciation thread.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I used to do these feature kinds of articles years ago. This is maybe my last. I'll keep adding to it, time permitting. Tippett has been one of my favorite coaches for years, I was thrilled when the Oilers got him.

I go back along ways with Tippett, with the Hartford Whalers. I'm an ex WHA fan still fascinated with that league all these decades later so I followed every bit of what was going on with the Edmonton Oilers, Hartford Whalers, Quebec Nordiques and the former Winnipeg Jets. Tippett was part of a lunch bucket no nonsense crew that played the game right and yielded several coaches and solid 200ft players.

This is Tippett with the Whalers rocking the stache;

Leadership material even back then. Tippett as a player exemplified his mantra as a coach. I guy with meager talent by NHL standards that got by on hard work, perseverence, doing anything asked, and mucking about. Team mates were guys like Ron Francis, Joel Quenneville, Kevin Dineen, Ray Ferraro, Dave Babych, Mike Liut. Chances are if you weren't playing hockey the right way you'd be hearing about it in the room. That Hartford Whalers teams was viewed as a hockey coach learning ground. This is a good read on that team being an NHL coach assembly line;

Hartford Whalers' impact still felt in coaching circles

Hartford was regarded as an NHL small town, a backwater, and some of the players commented on that. There being not much to do. This wouldn't have been the case for Dave Tippett, hailing from Moosomin Saskatchewan. Hartford would have seemed like NY. This is Moosomin

The tallest building in town would be a grain elevator;

Like many boys that end up going places Dave had an older brother, Brad Tippett, who was a sports standout in Moosomin, they even look alike and unmistakable. Brad did well in hockey and Soccer and rode hockey all the way to the AHL, but never got into the big show. Brad also turned into a hockey coach in the WHL. Like the dynamic with many boys the older boy taught the younger boy so well that the younger boy went farther.. Brad would have to have been a big role model for Dave all those years growing up.

Brad Tippett – Athlete | Prince Albert Sports Hall of Fame

So standard prairie town stuff. For a kid growing up in Saskatchewan it means sports was king. You grew up playing hockey or football or both and those towns are factories for players. Tippett was no exception, but interestingly his early success was in Soccer, and he was a star player going all the way to a Soccer World skills competition in Paris France. could you imagine a young kid from a prairie town riding the sports elevator all the way to Paris competition? Clearly Tippett got a taste of the world, some aspirations, and that sports can take you anywhere. Interesting read here;

Dave Tippett – Athlete | Prince Albert Sports Hall of Fame

So Dave was a star player, one of the best in his province, in either Soccer or Hockey. Heady days for him even back then.
Dave Went onto be a winner, captain, at basically every level of hockey he played. Off to the NCAA, to play for, and later captain an NCAA championship team. he spent 2 seasons there.

Dave then played as Captain for Canada's National team in the Sarajevo Olympics. With famed Dave King as head coach. According to King, Tippett was "the was the most coachable player he ever worked with". King worked with a tonne of good to great players. The focus being captain of a hard working National team got Tippett attention at NHL draft where he was picked up by the Hartford Whalers. Really a perfect hard working NHL squad for a kid like Tippett to land. Sometimes fortune just falls into place. Two young players on that team, Tippett and Quenneville, would go on in hockey meeting each other and being fraternity forever.

Tippett was never anything close to a star player but he was a player always in the lineup. His first 5 seasons in Hartford he never missed a game. He landed in the NHL and made enough of an impression that he was always in the lineup, never scratched, never hurt, never sent down. He played 454 consecutive games for the Whalers. Talk about hitting the NHL running. Tippett though had the misfortune of playing in the era of the best team in hockey history, the 80's Oilers. Those games generally were not fun for a team like Hartford but in Tippetts inaugural season this infamous game occurred with the famous scoreline Hartford 11 Edmonton 0. This being a scoreline where even the Hartford papers had numerous calls about getting the scoreline wrong, or mixed up. Most callers assumed it must have been Edmonton with the 11 goals..

Whalers Drill Oilers, 11-0, Flood Record Books

"The only positive thing is it can't get any worse" quipped coach Glen Sather. I don't know if Tippett played that game, I don't think so and I believe he was with Canadian National team right then but its symbolic of the team he played for. This is the collective scoreline between Hartford and Edmonton during the Oilers juggernaut, and Dave Tippetts tenure in Hartford;

Primary team Hartford/Carolina: 6-13-2 in these games.
Goals for Hartford/Carolina: 80
Goals against Hartford/Carolina: 90

Note that the overall score margin was close, and most of the games were, and Hartford came out on the winning end as much as anybody could reasonably expect. The vaunted Oilers didn't slaughter the Whalers once in those games. Which the Oilers did to many other teams.

Tippett had his best NHL seasons with the Hartford Whalers, as many players do with the teams that drafted them. He went on to play for Washington, Pittsburgh, Philly, but never having the same sense of team he had around him in Hartford. The Whalers too eventually moved on to become the Carolina Hurricanes. A sad day for me as like I said I loved those former WHA teams and when the Nordiques, Jets, Whalers were all out of the NHL it just seemed wrong.

Anyway, must have been a bit surreal for Tippett to end his playing career in the IHL one season with the Houston Aeros as this was the namesake of the former WHA Houston team that had famously featured Gordie Howe and his Howe sons in one of the most famous father and son travelling acts ever in the annals of hockey. So Dave ends up in Houston, again a hockey backwater, in less illustrious times but goes onto be a star player there in his one season being a near ppg player. Tippett ends up retiring as a hockey player and the org indelibly spots that theres coaching potential in Dave. He spends one season as assistant coach and then is immediately promoted to head coach and his team wins the IHL championship within 4 seasons. Tippett takes a ragtag bunch that was out of playoffs his first season and turns them into a league champion.

(cont. please see part 2 of the Tippett story below in this thread)

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Was not a fan of the hire. I am slowly changing my opinion on that.

In the current nhl speed and skill are often beating out grit and truculence. While Tippett coaches an upbeat game it's one that grinds down his own players and often struggles to maintain effectiveness.

Figured Tippett an old dog in a new world unable to adjust.

But so far so good. I was really worried that his systems stymied the bottom 6 offense to start the year but secondary scoring is coming around nicely.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
No Connor and we are still winning games, between the solid depth additions by Holland, the emergence of some quality young players and Tippett's coaching, things are looking up.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
town-center-of-moosomin.jpg
[/URL]

This is actually Hartford.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Great thread and well said. I was a fan back in the WHL days and have noted that since those days, the Whalers alum are tighter than mafioso. They all brought great character to the team and established life long bonds seldom seen in sports.

Dave's a great hire (thanks Ken) and we will see much success with him in the future. This season is a good example.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
He has actually taking care of a really hard job, being open and alert for all small details needed to be seen and to take care of.
Its a really hard job to do with a team like Oilers. And OK, Nygård was maybe not ready. I will close my eyes for that.
Maybe even blind for playing Drasaitl and McDavid insanly much, to much in the beginning of the season in a long stretch. I hope that was temporary.

There is just the curious case of Geatan Haas. Maybe not even Tippet or Haas know whats up, or where he are.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
I can’t imagine where this team would be without Tippett. Probably lottery bound.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Great post.

I was incredibly hesitant about Tippett, but his relationships with past players who loved playing for him won me over to his side.

He makes some questionable calls that I’m sure you’ll see me bitch and moan about in the GDTs, but that’s part of being a fan. Overall I really like the guy and the players seem to like playing for him.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Many coaches have tried to get this team to "work hard" but he's the only one where I've seen some consistency in the teams work ethic. Especially since the loss of McDavid.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Tippett has always been successful at coaching guys up, getting the most out of individuals but teams as a whole as well. He's a great communicator, when he talks what he's saying makes sense.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Thanks for the kind replies to this thread on Tippett.

The first post was quite long as three is a lot to cover. This is part 2 of the Dave Tippett story.

First segment ended with Tippett bringing the Houston Aeros to a league championship as head coach. This accomplishment bought him an assistant coaching opportunity with LA Tippett did enough in this 3 yr segment to be handed the keys to head coach the Dallas Stars. Tippett coached the Stars to 5 in a row playoff appearances and it should be remembered that some of this tenure was the challenging times when top salary teams in the league had to pare cap to meet a league mandated salary cap that allowed small market clubs to continue to compete. So that Tippett had less deep Stars teams to coach than his predecessor. He finished his stint in Dallas getting the Stars to the conference final. As impressive as that coaching feat was expectations were still high in Dallas at the time (they've never done a thing since) and Tippett was fired by the Stars after the conference final club missed the playoffs the next season in an off year. Which we've seen in cap years can often happen to teams that go deep in the previous years playoffs. I always thought Tippett got a raw deal being fired by the Stars.

But that led to another head coaching opportunity and this time replacing the dismal head coaching performance of Wayne Gretzky.

Phoenix Coyotes: Coach Dave Tippett's Start Shows Wayne Gretzky Wasn't So Great

Tippett would never be the type to gloat in any particular accomplishment but he soon took the Yotes to heights never obtained under Gretzky and quickly made everybody realize that Gretzky was a joke as coach. Tippett took pretty much the same club and drove them to a 50W season. A record season for the Yotes. Tippett won the Jack Adams that season by landslide vote and deservedly for the drastic about face change he brought to the Yotes play and performance.

TIPPETT WON JACK ADAMS AWARD IN LANDSLIDE VOTE

Important to note here that Tippett took a nondescript club that was expected to finish last and brought them to a 107pt season with strong defensive play and strict adherence to details by the players. Tippett not only got every last drop out of that club, he did a lot to resurrect that franchise which at the time was dying. I took notice then that Tippett was along with Trotz possibly the best coach currently in the league. Others like McLellan, Cooper, Quenneville had much more to work with. Tippett had an ordinary lineup that he got to overachieve. FTR I would have wanted to see Tippett here as early as that 2010 season after he was fired from the Stars. The Oilers were apparently not keen, I don't know why. The Oilers instead got a merry go round of underachieving coaches that were either bad or past their best date. The Oilers went from the deplorable Pat Quinn, a guy that was senile by the time he got here and the players couldn't understand, to having Tom Renney the next couple seasons.

Anyway. Tippett Brought the Yotes to the playoffs 3 seasons in a row culminating with the brilliant 2012 playoffs where the Yotes fought, scratched, clawed, cheated all the way to the 3rd round. The Yotes were a plucky dangerous club that did anything they could to win games.

In what is seemingly a dreamed up novel the Yotes face the SC winning Hawks in first round and Tippett vs his former Whaler alumni Joel Quenneville. You can't script write better stories. Should be remembered the Hawks were awesome at the time and in the middle of their 3 SC winning era. A hard team to get in the first round, no doubt. The Yotes won the series. An interesting synopsis;

Arizona Coyotes Playoff Memories: 2011-2012 vs Blackhawks

The Yotes slogan that year was "Hockey the Hard way" which is kind of prophetic and funny, but it was never going to be easy for this team punching above its weight as they were facing goliaths that spring.
The Hawks vs Yotes series was one for the ages. The first 5 games went to OT, think of that, all the drama, and the Yotes had come out ahead in 3/5games. They could have even stopped the vaunted Hawks in 5 games but lost a heartbreaker game 5 in OT.
The Yotes quickly recovered though winning game 6 at home 4-0 in one of the most frustrating Hawks playoff games in history. It was all kinds of ugly. But effective, and the Yotes won the series they shouldn't have. It was reminiscent of Oilers clubs under Ronnie Low beating the loaded Dallas Stars or Colorado Avalanche or the 2006 team going on the run it did.

But the Yotes weren't done. Round 2 against a solid Preds opponent and they took them apart. The Yotes won that series in 5 games and the series wasn't as notably except for the Preds mind numbingly dumb decision to suspend two of its production players for missing curfew. One of them being a young Radulov, lol. Man, take anyway to make a message or point but don't self suspend players in your lineup that can make a difference..

So next the Yotes face the SC headed LA Kings and the Kings had been awesome that spring having no trouble at all in the first two series and having won two series in only 9 games. This was the postseason where I picked the Kings to win the SC in the first round. heh, I won some money that spring! The Kings had that confident bench. A team loaded with talent, played hockey the right way, and wouldn't be denied. The only clubs left that would've stopped the Yotes that season was either the Kings or Devils, the two clubs that made the cup final.

The Yotes were again outmatched in this series and players were hurt, suspended, and they were running on fumes. The Kings took the first two games easily (having remarkably won10/11 playoff games to that point) but the plucky Yotes made the Kings work hard with the Kings pulling out a come from behind win to prevail 2-1 and pretty much lock the series at 3-0 in games. But a proud Yotes team didn't go away and nailed down arguably their best performance taking game 4 in LA 2-0 to go back home with a chance to extend the series. The Kings needed an OT marker by Dustin Penner to close out the suddenly contested series.

The Yotes and Tippett had done themselves proud. Think of it. Tippett had won the Jack Adams in 2010 and then had this sensation playoff performance from his guys in 2012. This was fantastic stuff and to me solidified Tippetts ranking among coaches. To the degree that I'll never forget it. The Yotes went through a power house Western Conference that season (the Eastern playoffs were weaker imo) and its as much as anybody could expect.

But off ice problems, namely franchise viability and ongoing ownership problems meant the Yotes would not continue to ice competitive lineups. Like the Oilers they had gone into a nowhere stage where they ended up rebuilding. Tippett doesn't ever bring that club back to the playoffs and retires from coaching in 2017. Had to be a bad way to end it coaching a squad that had no realistic chance at making the playoffs. The Yotes were a really bad squad. Coaching wasn't going to change that. Still, the Oilers again don't go in the Tippett direction. They had McLellan and were interested in staying the course after this clubs playoff success in 2017.

So Tippett comes out of retirement to headcoach the challenging Edmonton Oilers in 2019. a team that had missed the playoffs the last two seasons and that had a bombed out lineup thanks to Chiarelli. Tippett always loved a challenge. Tippett fervently dispelled rumors that this would be a highly defensive squad under him and that he would hogtie McD/Drai superstars. Indeed there was a lot of moaning here on the board and elsewhere about Dave Tippett boredom coach coming here to coach the Oilers. Tippett dispelled those saying he didn't have star forwards of this calibre in Arizona. That he would coach consistent with any teams strengths.

Tippett comes here and in his first season has our PP putting out legendary stats, has Drai and McD 1,2 in NHL scoring and as of this writing has the Oilers, a club that missed the playoffs, in first place in their division with a solid record. The Oilers had 79pts last season and are headed to a possible 100pt season. With a lineup far worse than they had in 16-17. Tippett again performing miracles and a turn around like he did in Arizona. With Gretzky along watching this the 2nd time around. Well actually Gretzky not watching as much as usual. One of the perhaps odder things this season (and I think a positive thing) is the Oilers alumni have all but vanished. This is again become a club focused on forward instead of backward and screw all this past bs. Not sure if its Tippett, or Holland, or both but the Old boys network here has sure died down this season. Something to be thankful for.

Tippett has a chance here to continue to write his coaching story and who knows what that brings this playoffs or next. But its been a very enjoyable ride this season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad