Confirmed with Link: Dave Semenko Passes Away (59 Years Old)

Black Gold Extractor

May 4, 2010
It was a gut punch hearing about it since it was so sudden. The first "major" dynasty-era player to pass away. Rest in peace. :(

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
This is a gut punch. Grew up watching him from the WHA days, met him several times, the last was a few months ago during the playoff run in the Oilers HOF room, spoke with him for at least 20 minutes, just a super nice man. The guy was simply the best at what he did and he could play and think the game with the megastars. Hope they do a nice tribute on opening night and wear some form of 27 patch on the jersey.
Today has really sucked with this news. RIP Sammy, you were the best. And F U cancer.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
one of those guys you'd run into on occasion and was always the nicest fellow.

shocking to hear. I know it's going to happen to everyone eventually, but doesn't mean I have to like it.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Very saddened. Some nice comments by his ex-teammates.

Semenko always joked that "Wayne Gretzky's bodyguard" would be written on his gravestone, but actually he'll be remembered for his big heart. There's a poignant moment in The Boys on the Bus movie where they interview Semenko after he's been traded. He was the first of the 'Magnificent Seven' to leave town (the 7 who were there from the start), and he said he was fine saying his farewells and so on until one of the trainers said to him, "We're still gonna be friends, right?", and then Semenko admits he broke down in tears. Has the Oilers' logo tattooed on his heart.

We should also remember that he scored 10 points (5 goals) in 19 games (+11) on the run to the Oilers' first Stanley Cup. He set up Gretzky's first-ever goal in the Final.

TimeForAnOilChange

From OTTERS 2 OILERS
May 4, 2010
Made by MacTambLowe
Absolutely shocking, they kept this pretty quiet, sounds like not too many people (except friends and family) even knew about this. I had no idea until i heard it on the local radio station this morning at work.

Dave, you are already missed dearly, even by people who never met you....you were a huge reason why we have 5 cups, you were a warrior and loved by everybody, thank you for everything you did for us, the fans of that incredible team. Once an Oiler, always an Oiler. :(

RIP

Bangers

May 31, 2006
One of a kind.

RIP Semenko

Hope the Oil have a tribute for him at next season's home opener.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Sad to hear this news about Dave Semenko. I remember watching him play the game.

I recall hearing a story about him and another player being in an elevator when a huge pro basketball player got on. After the basketball player got off, apparently Dave said to his friend something like "Good thing that guy does not play hockey because then I would have to start scoring goals."

RIP Dave.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Sad to hear this news about Dave Semenko. I remember watching him play the game.

I recall hearing a story about him and another player being in an elevator when a huge pro basketball player got on. After the basketball player got off, apparently Dave said to his friend something like "Good thing that guy does not play hockey because then I would have to start scoring goals."

RIP Dave.

ROFL! I met him once and never got to see his sense of humor or quick wit but he was a genuinely nice man. Add in his sense of humor and quick wit and I can see why so many are mourning his loss. It hit me hard having only met him once and knowing his impact on the Oilers and the city of Edmonton, for those that had real relationships with him, they must be in a very sad state.

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
Is Sammy the first Oiler from a cup team to pass away?

This may be silly, but it would be nice to have a stickied "Tribute" thread, where threads like this, can be compiled in one spot. Sort of a memorial for Oiler's who have passed.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta

This may be silly, but it would be nice to have a stickied "Tribute" thread, where threads like this, can be compiled in one spot. Sort of a memorial for Oiler's who have passed.

Had a look at Wiki and Sammy is the first cup team player to pass away. Not the first player to wear the uniform to pass away, though.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Not sure if it should be stickied as hopefully there won't be a need for very many of these threads for many years. I also think that it's be best to honor each player individually.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta

Had a look at Wiki and Sammy is the first cup team player to pass away. Not the first player to wear the uniform to pass away, though.

Most of the players are in the late 50s/early 60s for the '84 cup and in the late 40s/early 50s for the 1990 cup.

I think Don Ashby was the first Oiler alumni to have died and that was during the off-season. He was killed in May 1981 after spending most of that season with Wichita (6 games with the Oil). Others who have passed, that I can think of, were Bill Flett, Len Lunde and Garnet "Ace" Bailey.

Jacques Plante, can't forget him.

Last edited:

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Most of the players are in the late 50s/early 60s for the '84 cup and in the late 40s/early 50s for the 1990 cup.

I think Don Ashby was the first Oiler alumni to have died and that was during the off-season. He was killed in May 1981 after spending most of that season with Wichita (6 games with the Oil). Others who have passed, that I can think of, were Bill Flett, Len Lunde and Garnet "Ace" Bailey.

Jacques Plante, can't forget him.

Here's the complete list from the Society for International Hockey Research's files:

NHL Oilers:

Ashby, Don
Flett, Bill
Hagman, Matti
Poddubny, Walt
Semenko, Dave
Vyazmikin, Igor
Zholtok, Sergei

WHA Oilers:

Bailey, Garnet
Baird, Ken
Broderick, Ken
Flett, Bill
Goldsworthy, Bill
Hornung, Larry
Kerslake, Doug
Laframboise, Pete
Lunde, Len
MacGregor, Gary
McLeod, Don
Morris, Rick
Plante, Jacques
Semenko, Dave
Shmyr, Paul
Tajcnar, Rudy
Widing, Juha
Wilkins, Barry
Worthy, Chris

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
Not sure if it should be stickied as hopefully there won't be a need for very many of these threads for many years. I also think that it's be best to honor each player individually.

I agree that each player should be honored individually. What I had meant, is a stickied thread that contains only links to this thread (and unfortunately any other tribute threads).

For example, post number 1 contains a nice picture of Sammy (probably his most famous one staring down Tim Hunter), and maybe a nice write up, and the link to this thread. Then the thread is locked until the next time it is needed to add a 2nd post for another tribute.

I am afraid that this thread will eventually be lost. Only those who specifically look for it will be able to find it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Who was the guy that they thought was dead when they did the closing ceremonies of Rexall, but turned out to be alive?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I've had the chance to meet Semenko quite a few times just due to where he'd buy groceries.

Heck of a nice guy, seems rather intimidating and he knows it. But he was a guy that would smile and make the first move and say hello to you.(wonder if that helped with the ladies). It was rather funny to see him picking out fruit/vegetables. You'd watch him squeezing this things complaining to himself, but it made you wonder if the guy was just squeezing too hard.

RIP

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm watching the livestream of Semenko's ceremony right now.

I thought Coffey and Huddy took it hard at the PC a few days ago, but Glenn Anderson is absolutely devastated right now.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I'm watching the livestream of Semenko's ceremony right now.

I thought Coffey and Huddy took it hard at the PC a few days ago, but Glenn Anderson is absolutely devastated right now.

There's Gretzky's speech, with a lot of the others available as well.

The full ceremony was uploaded by the Oilers, but apparently it has been blocked for copyright issues?

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton

There's Gretzky's speech, with a lot of the others available as well.

The full ceremony was uploaded by the Oilers, but apparently it has been blocked for copyright issues?

Such a great speech. No notes or anything. You can tell he was speaking from the heart and not just saying what some publicist wrote. Gretz is the man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad