Dave Scott Out as CEO of Spectacor (Remains Chairman)

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
If anything, i think this helps fletcher...they can now say that Dan wants to evaluate Chuck for a full season/year in the offseason and Chuck keeps his job

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
The lizard probably made this decision, named his eventual replacement. A guy I play hockey with posted the tweet on his facebook page and someone responded that this guy is his friends uncle or monkeys uncle or something and apparently he's a "great guy".

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If anything, i think this helps fletcher...they can now say that Dan wants to evaluate Chuck for a full season/year in the offseason and Chuck keeps his job
Usually changes at the top means people are inclined to make changes at the bottom and bring in their own people.

More likely, dude needs something to do before he has to go back to organizing the World Cup.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Asked in the interview if he was contemplating retirement any time soon, Scott said: "No, I'm not going anywhere."

Valerie Camillo, who was promoted to president and CEO of Spectacor Sports & Entertainment this past summer, will remain in that role. She will continue to oversee the Wells Fargo Center and business operations for the Flyers but will also lead the Philadelphia Wings lacrosse team and the Maine Mariners of the ECHL, in addition to events produced by Comcast Spectacor.

Comcast Spectacor was founded in 1974 by Ed Snider, who led the charge to bring an NHL franchise to Philadelphia. Snider sold a 63% stake in the company to Comcast in 1996, and it was renamed Comcast Spectacor with Snider assuming the role of chairman. The Wells Fargo Center opened the same year, in addition to Comcast Spectacor acquired the Philadelphia 76ers from Harold Katz. Comcast Spectacor later sold the 76ers to a group of investors led by Joshua Harris and David Blitzer in 2011.

Comcast became the sole owner of Comcast Spectacor in 2016, acquiring Snider 's stake about five months after he died at his home in California.

This is kinda weird, Camillo basically keeps all her responsibilities, Scott gets kicked upstairs. Note that Scott is 69 years old.
So if Hilferty isn't going to play a major role, why would he take the job?
These positions don't pay the way being a top executive at Comcast would pay, you're a couple notches down the ladder.

Interesting interview with Scott back in October 22:

You talked about Brian Roberts. How often do you interact with him? How much pressure do you feel from him? He’s got a big company to run. He doesn’t get involved in any kind of decision-making [with the Flyers]. I think we try to be clear that the buck stops with me. He’s never going to get involved with player decisions or what we pay our coaches, but he loves the team.

Last season during your mid-season press conference you apologized to the fans about the team’s performance and pledged to do what was needed to “right the ship.” Is the ship righted? We’re pointed in the right direction. We’re going to be a better team. It’s going to be an improved team for sure. Are we a Stanley Cup contender? I think John Tortorello and Chuck said it, no, not today, but you know, we think we’re putting the right team together on the ice and we’ll know more over the next couple of weeks. We’ve got to get back to the playoffs and I couldn’t be more excited about the young kids we have.

Here's one back in 2017 when he took over the team:

“Ed was pretty ill the last couple years,” Scott said. “I’ve stayed pretty close to it and I’ve got all the confidence in the world with Paul (Holmgren) as president and Ron (Hextall) as general manager. I think we all have a job to do here. My job is really to make sure we have the resources and we’re investing in the team for the long term and go for the Cup. The Flyers are going to go for it every year. That’s our heritage.”

And this is how it all got started:

In a statement released Monday, the Philadelphia-based sports and entertainment company which owns the National Hockey League's Flyers and the Wells Fargo Center where it and the NBA's 76ers play, said Luukko, who has been with the company for more than 25 years, decided to "monetize" his interest in the company.

Retired Comcast Cable chief financial officer and senior executive vice president Dave Scott will step in as acting president and Gary Rostic will join Comcast-Spectacor as its CFO.

And something on how the family does interfere with certain businesses.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
All of these CEO's/CFO's run in the same circles...probably just gave his buddy a job.
I haven't see anything that suggests Scott and Hilferty were connected.
Scott worked with Ralph Roberts as his CFO, but I think retired around the time Brian took over.
Hilferty is connected to Brian due to a venture with Comcast in 2018.

Stay tuned.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I haven't see anything that suggests Scott and Hilferty were connected.
Scott worked with Ralph Roberts as his CFO, but I think retired around the time Brian took over.
Hilferty is connected to Brian due to a venture with Comcast in 2018.

Stay tuned.

Yeah, they also did some conference panels together. Brian is the clear public connection for sure. I still don't know what that means, but it checks out. :laugh:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Looks like absolutely nothing to do with the Flyers:

One source indicated that Hilferty’s deep ties and great respect within the Philadelphia business community will be a boon for Spectacor as far as reconnecting, rebuilding or forging new partnerships.

Another source said Hilferty has such gravitas and makes things happen in Philadelphia, that he will be able to help Comcast Spectacor strategically in many avenues, not the least of which is negotiating the choppy waters surrounding the 76ers lease, and all the smoke and fire about them potentially building their own arena away from the South Philly complex.

The same source indicated that Comcast Spectacor is now re-committed to growing and developing an entire Sports and entertainment district in the several blocks surrounding the three stadiums – which was the original plan more than a decade ago when the company announced it was razing the Spectrum and building Xfinity Live.

Those plans were greatly curtailed after the city, dealing with constant financial strife, balked on much of its partnership. But now, with Hilferty having the ear of the most powerful people not only in the city but also the state, those plans can and will be resuscitated.

A third source indicated Hilferty will be very good for the business side of Comcast Spectacor, but warned that no matter how “tenacious” a Flyers fan he is, that his impact will really only be felt in areas that don’t concern the fans – namely, not the team on the ice.

From a hockey perspective “this is more of the same,” the source said. “He’s a nice guy who will do good for the company, but he has no hockey experience. (The people running the Flyers) should care about winning first, not shaking hands and kissing babies. This is no different than the old Country Club Phillies, only it’s gone corporate. (Comcast) has no respect for the game.”

This is all about messing with the Sixers by shaking them down and trying to keep them in the building along with building their entertainment area that they wanted years ago.

He greased the right hands with the bidding for the World Cup so they figure he’ll help in that area again.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Looks like absolutely nothing to do with the Flyers:

This is all about messing with the Sixers by shaking them down and trying to keep them in the building along with building their entertainment area that they wanted years ago.

He greased the right hands with the bidding for the World Cup so they figure he’ll help in that area again.

Makes sense they are looking for a business type business guy. Think it's interesting they're one of the few teams with neither a helmet nor jersey sponsor.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
He's the CEO of Comcast Spectacor which runs a multitude of businesses and operations. He replaced Dave Scott in that position.

Dave Scott is, at least for the moment, still the Chairman of Comcast Spectacor and the Governor of the Flyers.
Wtf is a Governor of the Flyers? 😂

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad